Hobby Farmer Re-named

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Since everybody seems to be getting sideways about the title "Hobby Farmer", I propose using the title "Livestock Enthusiast". It's not really tied to number of animals or years of service and has nothing to do which species you're keepin'.

Careful now.. I heard a radio ad the other day for a tropical fish store, where they were offering 20% off on all 'livestock.' :lol:

Bullbuyer":3gx53my5 said:
Since everybody seems to be getting sideways about the title "Hobby Farmer", I propose using the title "Livestock Enthusiast". It's not really tied to number of animals or years of service and has nothing to do which species you're keepin'.

Man o man talk about a bunch feeling important wearing feelings on their sleeve. Livestock Enthusiast just isn't sissy enough and doesn't roll off as easy as hobby. How about Bevo Boys what do you think. Bevo is the worthless steer mascot of UT.

ya all can be so silly.... what difference does it make? Our society is more excited about their title and who they can impress than what they do away from the glamour and the lights.

A responsible owner is more important no matter if you have one bovine or 1000 of them. That is what I seek. I don't care if I'm labeled a wanna be hobby farmer. I'm more excited about staying in the background, building up my cows into a productive herd.

I do know I'm not seeking to buy a bull that is known for his "udder traits" on a commercial herd, so don't try selling me a short dumpy bull. I do know his EPD's don't mean diddly squat if he doesn't have the looks to back it up or the ability to pass those looks on.

I do know that I'm not feeding "trace mineral blocks" because I'm too tight to give them the proper cow minerals.

I do know that I'm here for the long haul, that I don't need to pet my cows for them to be happy - my happiness will be in raising quality calves that are uniform in size, have length, depth and width and bring a top price.

I do know that my cows cost me about $1.00 a day and I'm looking for ways that I can cut that cost without sacrificing the cows quality and raising that calf, more pasture is the answer but that may not be feasible for a couple of years yet. River bottom land, flood plain, just sold for $3700 an acre (195 acres total) so as you can see, I won't be buying any land anytme soon at that rate.

I'm still learning and I'll probably still be a hobby farmer when I turn 80, but I'll still be learning at that age too. Only a fool thinks they know it all.

i wouldn't buy breeding stock off a hobby farm- lest I had a hobby farm.

Form follows function-- you can never get away from that in breeding.

Caustic Burno":1bg1eycd said:
msscamp":1bg1eycd said:
Great post, MoGal! :)

That was a good post.
Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.
Time is the best teacher unfortunately it kills all us.

That is a great philosophy, Caustic, one worth remembering. Thank you! :)

Caustic Burno":1etkma3u said:
Time is the best teacher unfortunately it kills all us.

Oh how true that is.

Tution to the school of life at times is not cheap.
Life no one gets out alive,

Campground Cattle":jnd7cdtn said:
Bullbuyer":jnd7cdtn said:

Man o man talk about a bunch feeling important wearing feelings on their sleeve. Livestock Enthusiast just isn't sissy enough and doesn't roll off as easy as hobby. How about Bevo Boys what do you think. Bevo is the worthless steer mascot of UT.

Campground, just for clarity's sake - isn't that the same "worthless" mascot that now wears the National Championship Banner???

Campground Cattle":2ssu09z4 said:
just isn't sissy enough and doesn't roll off as easy as hobby. .

Thats funny....

How bout I call myself "Bovine Institute That Enjoys My Exercise"..aka BITEME, instead of hobby farmer. Rolls off the tongue pretty good don't you think?

Any of you other lame hobby farmers want to join...BITEME

CW

Whether you sell 1,000 head a year or 5 head a year or even 1 head per year. Look at how much meat goes into the stores and onto peoples plates from just 1 killed animal.

Latest posts