Need advice re grass/butchering

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Looking for advice...We have 2 nice black angus steers, will be 2 yo this summer and heading to butcher. (We sell grass-fed beef by the quarter/half). We're overstocked and I'd like to send them off fairly soon.
We are getting grass now but would like to let it grow a bit more before turning them out. Will 30 days on grass be enough? Somewhere (maybe on here) I read that for best flavor, you need a minimum of 30 days on grass after turning them out, especially for grass-fed. They are otherwise nice size, good condition, on minerals and crystalyx. Thanks!

TennesseeTuxedo":2yg1myk3 said:
M-5":2yg1myk3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2yg1myk3 said:
I'm a grain fed/finished kinda guy so I have no clue.

I don't know many "HAY' finished folks either

You're the resident "know it all" so answer the question at hand.

That would be about fixing things.
He can mend everything but a broken heart... and apparently grass finished beef on hay :D

Need to be gaining at least 2# / day for awhile before d-day, enough for marbling to occur

Boondocks,

In my opinion, 30 days on green, new grass does not finish a steer adequately unless you have been feeding them some high-powered high protein hay up to and through that period. Up here that would be clover heavy second cutting or alfalfa. With our May grass, its just too washy for them to really get the energy they would need to marble with. We shoot for having steers ready by June 20 to finish. By the first week of June the clover is very heavy and thats 3 weeks of some real candy for them. You might be a week ahead of us as far as grass goes though. Also, my opinion and $3 will get you a Genny Cream Ale at your bar.

dieselbeef":lje1l54p said:
what are they eating now?

Hay, haylage and some grass. Haven't turned them out into the big pastures yet. They also have crystalyx and loose minerals free choice.

artesianspringsfarm":24w0lybo said:
Boondocks,

In my opinion, 30 days on green, new grass does not finish a steer adequately unless you have been feeding them some high-powered high protein hay up to and through that period. Up here that would be clover heavy second cutting or alfalfa. With our May grass, its just too washy for them to really get the energy they would need to marble with. We shoot for having steers ready by June 20 to finish. By the first week of June the clover is very heavy and thats 3 weeks of some real candy for them. You might be a week ahead of us as far as grass goes though. Also, my opinion and $3 will get you a Genny Cream Ale at your bar.

Genny Cream Ale would be considered a snooty beer around here lol. I think there's a consensus here (and I called and talked to the butcher as well) that longer than 30 days would be better. So we'll give them a couple months or so, I guess. Our customers include a lot of health care workers who like leaner meat so we will try for some balance. Last year's steer had good flavor but folks admitted they added a bit of butter or another fat to the burger.
Thanks all! Any other thoughts, keep 'em coming!

Magis raises a good question.We grow our grass-fed Angus slowly. When we butcher them they are lean but customers seem to like it. These 2 steers are well-fed and coming up on 2 years. We don't want overly marbled anyway. In that context, my (somewhat-rhetorical) question would be: what does it mean to call the steer "finished"?

Latest posts