Hobbies

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2pxij989 said:
I enjoy hunting and fishing,gardening,cooking
And of course my cattle.
My favorite pastime though is to get a good sized chicken snake and put it in a new Nike shoebox. Then we drive up to the north side of Killeen there around MLK Blvd . And set it on a bench at the bus stop. Sit back and watch. Funny as he'll seeing them snakes get the shyt scared out of em.... ;-)

Gotta try this :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm a residential contractor. It buys the groceries. Have several rental properties that I hope will offer me some retirement benefits in the future. I'm a Certified Real Estate Appraiser, but I rarely practice anymore. Serve as a supervisor for my local Soil and Water Conservation District. I grow and sell hay. And all of these raise my kids and help fund my addiction to raising calves. I sure enjoy calving season, even though it can be work at times. Would love to fool with cattle full time, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Also enjoy hunting and fishing with my kids when we have time.

cowgirl8":qdh92gb4 said:
I forgot Bees....just getting into that but i do plan to take it a bit further than a hobby. Anyone else have bees?
Don't have any, but I have always been interested in keepin some. One day maybe

Shoot em with a 12 gauge slug. You'll never go back to any other way.[/quote]

Bet that would destroy them for sure, :lol2:

hillbillyhammer":1dug01yf said:
cowgirl8":1dug01yf said:
I forgot Bees....just getting into that but i do plan to take it a bit further than a hobby. Anyone else have bees?

I worked for one of the best known queen producers in the country about 20 years ago, and kept a few bees for a year or two after I quit. When I finally sold them I was talking to my father about it. I told him that I was selling them so I could spend more time with my cattle, and told him how much I was getting for them. He looked at me and said "Are you sure you're selling the right livestock?"

callmefence":26g57z30 said:
And of course my cattle.
My favorite pastime though is to get a good sized chicken snake and put it in a new Nike shoebox. Then we drive up to the north side of Killeen there around MLK Blvd . And set it on a bench at the bus stop. Sit back and watch. Funny as he'll seeing them snakes get the shyt scared out of em.... ;-)

Poor chicken snake. I would love to come along to watch next time.

hillbillyhammer":2mcluv8i said:
cowgirl8":2mcluv8i said:

I'm not sure i'm cut out for it. I checked to see if my bees are working like i hoped and they went nuts..took over 30 min to get them off of me...freaked me out a bit..

wacocowboy":3dnl1jxu said:
callmefence":3dnl1jxu said:
And of course my cattle.

Poor chicken snake. I would love to come along to watch next time.
Well texas is a bit far away just to come watch this so maybe you could make a video

cowgirl8":klezo982 said:
hillbillyhammer":klezo982 said:
cowgirl8":klezo982 said:

I'm not sure i'm cut out for it. I checked to see if my bees are working like i hoped and they went nuts..took over 30 min to get them off of me...freaked me out a bit..

Let me try to guess what happened.

1. You didn't smoke them.
2. You didn't wait a minute or so after smoking them before you opened the hive.
3. You didn't move slow when opening the hive and lifting out the frames.
4. You didn't keep putting smoke on them periodically.
5. At some point you panicked and started flailing around.
6. You opened the hive on a cloudy, overcast, or cold day.
7. Or you started out with mean bees.

Do any of those sound familiar?

I tried the bee keeping at one time in my life looked pretty promising until the queen took up with a male tumble bug and you can guess the rest of the story.

Rafter S":3pmb36pl said:

2. You didn't wait a minute or so after smoking them before you opened the hive.

They had been very nice, hadnt smoked them or needed to.....but that day, they needed smoke... I dont like inconsistencies...so i'll be consistently using smoke with that one....lol

cowgirl8":37vwdygp said:
Rafter S":37vwdygp said:

They had been very nice, hadnt smoked them or needed to.....but that day, they needed smoke... I dont like inconsistencies...so i'll be consistently using smoke with that one....lol

Excellent idea.

Latest posts