Hiring out clearing / grading cost per acre

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
Can someone give me an idea of what to expect hiring out someone to come behind the loggers who have clear cut a property . two different tracts on the same farm. one was all 23 yr old pine . other mixed hardwood pulpwood . Like to have a good idea of cost per acre , de-stump , grade pile and burn . I aim to make it into pasture

Up here it's between 1500-1800 per acre. That includes everything you listed, plus deep disc in the small debris. Approximately..as Jed mentioned, it really adds up fast.

Your better off having someone clear and pile, and you do the burning. Burning piles takes a 1/2 hour 4 or 5 times a day to push it up, and the rest of the time your looking for something to do.

It can very a lot depending on how heavy the timber was and how good a job is done. 1500-2500 $/ac is a fairly safe range.

ClinchValley":1snzycak said:
Why not buy a dozer? Then sell it when you are done… It'd be fun on top of saving money.

got very close to doing that . Decided against it . had a 40k pound trackhoe ( just sold) and still have a 100c international trackloader . I chose to sell the trackhoe in good working condition . It brought good money . I was afraid using it for a big job all day everyday would be too much on it and would risk big repair bill . (told the buyer my reason for selling too) .

My quotes came in a lot better than what I was hearing here . more like $600 an acre or $100-125 hr

jedstivers":91d1bww3 said:
Bet it will be a lot more than the timber brought per acre. Nothing like that in this area so I don't have much to base off of. I just know stuff like that sure adds up fast.

Agree. After I got mine pushed, piled, I still made a little $$ from the logging but only because I was lucky enough to have a neighbor with a skidder that worked pretty cheap and fast, otherwise it would have been a case of just trading all the logging money in for dozer work or machine rental.

(only small downside was he parked that leaky old skidder here and it's sat here ever since, and he did the work in 2009..I don't really mind tho..he's a good man and a good Christian friend. )

You can spend about what you want to but if you are just putting it in pasture why stump the planted pine area? At that age the stumps will rot in no time. Don't know how big the mixed hardwood stand is but if smaller sized stumps the land could be left to rot here also.

I've seen people spending up to $1800/acre to put their land in pasture when this was unnecessary if you aren't planning on haying it. Personally, I won't spend more than $300/acre on clearing pasture. I'll plant annuals for a few years and let nature rot all the stuff. Once nature has done its thing I'll harrow it good and level it then plant a permanent pasture or sprig hay. I normally can have it in a hay field within 5 years.

Jogeephus":3e3fd44h said:
You can spend about what you want to but if you are just putting it in pasture why stump the planted pine area? At that age the stumps will rot in no time. Don't know how big the mixed hardwood stand is but if smaller sized stumps the land could be left to rot here also.

I've seen people spending up to $1800/acre to put their land in pasture when this was unnecessary if you aren't planning on haying it. Personally, I won't spend more than $300/acre on clearing pasture. I'll plant annuals for a few years and let nature rot all the stuff. Once nature has done its thing I'll harrow it good and level it then plant a permanent pasture or sprig hay. I normally can have it in a hay field within 5 years.

Every time you post something, I learn. Usually after I already spent some money :oops: ..im going to need you to step up your posting please..before I do something real stupid soon..

BobbyLummus1":3t14175l said:
Can someone give me an idea of what to expect hiring out someone to come behind the loggers who have clear cut a property . two different tracts on the same farm. one was all 23 yr old pine . other mixed hardwood pulpwood . Like to have a good idea of cost per acre , de-stump , grade pile and burn . I aim to make it into pasture

No matter what anyone tells you since we are not in your immediate area the #'s may vary quite a bit the best thing for you to do is rent one... outside of that estimates are free call some contractors in your area. I will come clear as much land as you need cleared and plant it for 20k per acre. :D

Well I thought I posted today but it didn't post.
Rent a dozer or trackhoe and clear the fence lines and some roads. Maybe even push tops up to burn. If it's just going to be pasture get the fence on it and the cows in it. It's amazing what they can clean up.
Let stumps rot. That's your biggest expense.

jedstivers":1pxjvgc1 said:
Rent a dozer or trackhoe and clear the fence lines and some roads. Maybe even push tops up to burn. If it's just going to be pasture get the fence on it and the cows in it. It's amazing what they can clean up.

Only thing about not removing stumps is here atleast they don't fill in completely leaving room for animal to break a leg or a human.

skyhightree1":2v8zyxxj said:
jedstivers":2v8zyxxj said:

Only thing about not removing stumps is here atleast they don't fill in completely leaving room for animal to break a leg or a human.
Have to start a new ground disk as they rot.

jedstivers":2j7b36vs said:

I agree. Time can be your friend and will help save you money. A good offset harrow is also a valuable tool to own. As for renting or buying a dozer I'll say this, it does little good to own or rent one unless there is someone sitting in the seat running it all day. I've seen many people go this route but don't keep it running and by the time they finally cover the property the other side of the property is grown back up. My neighbor did this. He's been clearing his land for pasture now for 15 years and he still isn't finished. I could have had cleared and harrowed in two weeks fifteen years ago and now he could be cutting hay or growing crops but he was he7bent on saving a dollar.

skyhightree1":33qxq1ul said:
jedstivers":33qxq1ul said:

I disagree. If you go in and plant annuals on the land for a couple years all these holes will be filled when you harrow the dirt. Here it takes about two years on young trees - longer for older. You'll know when the ground is ready for the permanent cover. I've never had an animal break its leg due to a hole but if I did I am sure the savings would more than pay for the animal and many more just like it.

If it's just going to be pasture get the fence on it and the cows in it. It's amazing what they can clean up.
And depending on the type cattle and what's growing, the cows can do surprisingly well on it.

Latest posts