hip problem

Help Support CattleToday:

peanut":1slq0qzd said:
Thanks for all the replies. Here is the update. The vet said that the hip is dislocated. She seems to get up without a problem. Walking still is hard for her. The vet said to keep her in the barn till the grass comes in. Then she will not have a reason to walk very far. He said to give her a chance. She is about 7-8 years old.

I'd really consider putting her out of her misery,just my thoughts.

GMN

Well, I ask the vet about putting her down and he said to give her a chance. She is eating well, and like I said, she has no problem getting up. She is stiff in the morning, but in the afternoon, she can move around pretty good in the barn. Sometimes she will barely drag one foot. I think we will wait and see. She is a whole lot better than when it first happened. Her hips look the same so you could not tell that anything was wrong by just looking at her. We thought the soreness was in the muscle. Her calf is about 2-3 months old. Also, she does not have the symptom of her leg sticking out to the side that I have seen online. Her legs are normal except for the fact that sometimes she will stand with putting more weight on her good side.

simangus23":1hgzap91 said:
Load her and head to the sale barn get what ya can for her before you are planting her with a backhoe
Don't do this, regardless of what you decide to do. It is unethical. If you want, butcher her and sell meat, but don't haul her all over.

I would never take her to the sale. Someone told me that a cow here in my town had been taken to the sale with her uterus hanging out. I cannot believe anyone would do that. That person needed something done to them.

I was thinking before the vet came that maybe the humane thing to do would be put her down. I was just going to bury her. But I trust the vet since he checked her out and he said he believed in giving her a chance. I love animals and I cannot stand to see anything suffer, but he is the expert and everything has only one life to live. So, I am giving her a chance.

peanut":35ogbf3i said:
I would never take her to the sale. Someone told me that a cow here in my town had been taken to the sale with her uterus hanging out. I cannot believe anyone would do that. That person needed something done to them.

I was thinking before the vet came that maybe the humane thing to do would be put her down. I was just going to bury her. But I trust the vet since he checked her out and he said he believed in giving her a chance. I love animals and I cannot stand to see anything suffer, but he is the expert and everything has only one life to live. So, I am giving her a chance.

Experts aren't always right, but it is up to you. My Vet told me that they can not put a dislocated hip back into place because of the size of the animal, and its not going to just go back by itself. I'd keep her comfortable then, if that is what you want to do, but I think you always have to think about the animal. Whatever you do DO NOT take her to the sale barn, that is just cruel. She would be condemned and it would just look bad on you.

Good luck.

GMN

angie":1t3uf41o said:
simangus23":1t3uf41o said:
Load her and head to the sale barn get what ya can for her before you are planting her with a backhoe
Don't do this, regardless of what you decide to do. It is unethical. If you want, butcher her and sell meat, but don't haul her all over.
Why is this unethical? I take cows with prolapses , torn up tendons , non breeders etc. whats the difference?

Do you actually take cows that have their uterus hanging out in the back? The cow would be in so much pain. I had rather shoot her myself and I have never killed any animal except mice and snakes. I would never put an animal through that.

I would never take any animal that is unable to walk well, and put them through that. I don't need the money that bad.

peanut":v2iorohd said:
Do you actually take cows that have their uterus hanging out in the back? The cow would be in so much pain. I had rather shoot her myself and I have never killed any animal except mice and snakes. I would never put an animal through that.

I would never take any animal that is unable to walk well, and put them through that. I don't need the money that bad.
Good for you :clap:
A non breeder is different. An animal in great pain ~ that is quite another. It is unethical, and as GMN says, reflects poorly on the seller.

I wonder how you feel about branding, castaration or dehorning? All these seem to be pretty painful . Does that make them unethical?

No, they are necessary treatments. You are being intentionally thick. Let it go. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me. I think hauling injured animals, that are in pain and distress, or that are so sick they can barely stand is unethical. It also reflects poorly on farmers and ranchers as a group, but you especially.

angie2":1vnv2pp5 said:
Ah, that is a problem.....
If you are able to give her a shot of anti inflammatory, let her have it on board for, say, an hour. I promise that at the end of the hour she will be better able to walk. Let her take her time then to get her to the barn, don't rush her. I would not suggest, but I think it is important that she be contained. Usually anti inflammatories have to come from the vet/prescription. If the vet is not able to come soon ~ get some from a neighbor with cattle. The anit inflammatory meds are expensive so be sure to thank him/her :nod: . I think the trailor would maybe be worse for her than walking slow. Maybe someone else will have a different idea.

Almost forgot ~ should use banamine as anti inflammatory, not dexamethzone (dex), in case she is bred....

Being as shes short bred i would rather give the dex better results its a steroid. Banamine is rough on the stomach. Using the dex you can give 2 ccs per hundred but it will sedate and make her slugish fo a while. The dex will do more for swelling.

I had a cow go down last year was injured when they were messing around ( cows in heat) She was short bred 1 and a half to two months.Caught it right away as soon as it happened.

Gave her an IV cocktail with dextrose and dex.Dex should only really cause damage to a bred cow at 3 months but there is not a fail safe.
Shot of predef for 2 days and then gave banamine(anifin) for two days.
Day two she was up and down not walking much day two walking for water only.Day three she was moving around much better and day five she would not let me near her and so out to pasture she went ( ran) with her calf.

The way it worked was the dex and predef were a steroid anti inflammatory so the swelling went down and she started to heal the anifin was a pain killer so she was not afraid to put weight on that leg.She had a healthy bull calf in '07 in due this month again.

This was all under a vets care.I might have just got lucky though and the cow was only 5.

FWIW

Also if an animal even has trouble walking it is not allowed off your trailer here and it's illegal to ship downer cows.If the cow had prolapsed and not been corrected she would be condemned and YOU would be in serious trouble, your name would be crap and the humane society would be at your front door.

Latest posts