hip problem

Help Support CattleToday:

peanut

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the cattle business and I need some help please. A cow has been injured from being bred by a bull. She is having problems walking. When she gets up, she is favoring her right leg, and when she does step, she is dragging that leg and trying not to put any weight on it. She has been this way for 4 days. She has been given shots of antibiotics. She will get up to eat grain, and will take about 6 steps and will lay back down. Is this something that will take more time to heal, or should I have a vet come out and check her? Thanks!!

Yes ~ is something you should have the vet come out and check. Antibiotics will not help in this case. It is an injury, not an infection. She should have a shot of anti inflammatory to reduce swelling and ease her pain. If you give her shot of anti inflammatory, put her in a pen where her excercise is limited. Sometimes they get so that they can't feel the pain so much due to shot and they abuse/overuse the leg. Makes the injury worse. If she is with other cattle she should be seperated as well ~ they push and shove and could make injury worse.
But yes, she should be seen by a vet. She needs her legs.
Good Luck!

How could I get her up to the barn? Try to get her into the cattle trailer? She could not walk that far to the barn.

Ah, that is a problem.....
If you are able to give her a shot of anti inflammatory, let her have it on board for, say, an hour. I promise that at the end of the hour she will be better able to walk. Let her take her time then to get her to the barn, don't rush her. I would not suggest, but I think it is important that she be contained. Usually anti inflammatories have to come from the vet/prescription. If the vet is not able to come soon ~ get some from a neighbor with cattle. The anit inflammatory meds are expensive so be sure to thank him/her :nod: . I think the trailor would maybe be worse for her than walking slow. Maybe someone else will have a different idea.

Almost forgot ~ should use banamine as anti inflammatory, not dexamethzone (dex), in case she is bred....

Thanks so much Angie2. I will go by the vets office tomorrow and discuss her with him. I didn't think that the antibiotics would help. My farm manager tried it, but I was thinking that the anti-inflammation drugs would be better.

No problem.
BTW ~ is just angie, I was also the original so "angie2" gets redundant ;-)

If she gets up for her grain, make her follow you to the barn - might take a few sessions to get her there, depending on how far. If she will allow you to touch her while she's down, scratch her real hard than slip in the needle. Usually, they won't notice.

We had this problem a few years back. Had the Vet out it was determined the hip was dislocated, and that cow was done. They can't do anything for dislocations in cows.

If it is not dislocated and just injured I would try Dexamethazone, a anti imflammatory medice, 10 cc's in hte muscle for 2 days and see if that does not help.

GMN

Peanut ~ might be better to use banamine anti inflammatory rather than dex.
Dex can cause problems with pregnancy. Even though she was JUST bred, she may still be pregnant. Is best not to risk. Dex also supresses immune system so should be used with antibiotics. Just use the banamine if you get a chance.
What is going on with this animal?
Any update?

There is a very good anti-inflammatory drug in your medicine chest. Cheap and pretty effective, no withdrawl either. ASPIRIN! Give her a small amount of grain with a dozen aspirin thrown in twice a day for a couple of days. If it isn;t anymore then a simple pulled/bruied muscle or even if it's arhtritis there should be some result after just a couple of days.

angie2":1tiw6unc said:
Dex can cause problems with pregnancy. Even though she was JUST bred, she may still be pregnant. Is best not to risk. Dex also supresses immune system so should be used with antibiotics. Just use the banamine if you get a chance.
Any update?
I agree with angie, don't risk the dex when there are alternitives.

angie2":187el0it said:
Any update?

I would still recommend the Dex with Banimine. Banamine is given to reduce pain, whereas Dex actually reduces the swelling. The Banamine will help ease the pain, whereas the Dex will actually reduce swelling if there is some. Best bet is to have a Vet check her out, these types of injuries though are very hard to cure, and Vets can only do so much.

GMN

Here is the update. The vet gave me Banamine for her. 3 shots for 3 days. Today, she will get the 3rd shot. She is standing a little more, but still is not able to walk more than 6-8 steps at a time. She only moves about 25 feet a day. She is still standing like on her tiptoes on one leg. She is located in a little valley and she is trying to make it down to the creek. I am afraid if she gets down there that she will not be able to get out and will take pneumonia.We cannot get a trailer or anything down to get her unless they make a lift to go on a tractor .

If she does not show anymore improvement today, I will call the vet and have them come and check her tomorrow. My manager thought it was a muscle problem, but I am thinking it is more in the hip and maybe it is dislocated. Her back is arched a little but I guess that is from the pain she is in.

I have to tell you that I am a female, and as I said before, I have only been in the business for 5 years. I never wanted anything to do with the cattle because I had never been around cows before. But now, I am over at the farm all of the time. It is the most relaxing thing to be out in the fields with them. I have several that we raised and they are so gentle. My manager says that he has never worked with any cows that are so calm and friendly.You really get attached to them and its very hard when they get sick or injured, or die.

For the person that wrote that the cow might be "stiffled". What does that mean?

Thanks for all the replies and I will give another update this week.

peanut":2imagaa1 said:
Here is the update. The vet gave me Banamine for her. 3 shots for 3 days. Today, she will get the 3rd shot. She is standing a little more, but still is not able to walk more than 6-8 steps at a time. She only moves about 25 feet a day. She is still standing like on her tiptoes on one leg. She is located in a little valley and she is trying to make it down to the creek. I am afraid if she gets down there that she will not be able to get out and will take pneumonia.We cannot get a trailer or anything down to get her unless they make a lift to go on a tractor .

If she does not show anymore improvement today, I will call the vet and have them come and check her tomorrow. My manager thought it was a muscle problem, but I am thinking it is more in the hip and maybe it is dislocated. Her back is arched a little but I guess that is from the pain she is in.

I have to tell you that I am a female, and as I said before, I have only been in the business for 5 years. I never wanted anything to do with the cattle because I had never been around cows before. But now, I am over at the farm all of the time. It is the most relaxing thing to be out in the fields with them. I have several that we raised and they are so gentle. My manager says that he has never worked with any cows that are so calm and friendly.You really get attached to them and its very hard when they get sick or injured, or die.

For the person that wrote that the cow might be "stiffled". What does that mean?

Thanks for all the replies and I will give another update this week.

I know what you mean it is easy to get attached to the cows. I milk so I see them everyday, and it is very hard when you have to cull one, or one has to be put down because it is down. Downer cows are the worst. They do make a device called a hip lifter, that is attached to a loader on the tractor, they are very handy, and definetely can make the difference between a cow ever getting up again or not. They are about $75 or so, sold anywhere they sell animal products. If you can get one do so, and get her moved home to level ground. I fear if she goes to the creek, she will never get up. Are you carrying her water?

Good luck

GMN

Yes, I carry her water 2 times a day, and I feed her some grain and hay everyday too. I just got back from checking on her, and she has walked further today, but it is too far to the barn. She has probably walked twice as far as she has gotten in 5 days. I have the other cows in another field. She was very close to the creek, but she was heading in a different direction today. She was headed for the area that we did have the hay rings.

The barn lot is very muddy, and the pasture is not. Should I still try to get a lift and take her to the barn. I figured if I get the vet, he could examine her in the field. She lets my manager give her the shots, and he examines her with no problems to see where she is tender. It seems to me that it is the hip area, but he said he thinks the muscle there.

If it is a hip dislocation, can you tell that by looking at the hips?

peanut":3lgqf4p3 said:
Yes, I carry her water 2 times a day, and I feed her some grain and hay everyday too. I just got back from checking on her, and she has walked further today, but it is too far to the barn. She has probably walked twice as far as she has gotten in 5 days. I have the other cows in another field. She was very close to the creek, but she was heading in a different direction today. She was headed for the area that we did have the hay rings.

The barn lot is very muddy, and the pasture is not. Should I still try to get a lift and take her to the barn. I figured if I get the vet, he could examine her in the field. She lets my manager give her the shots, and he examines her with no problems to see where she is tender. It seems to me that it is the hip area, but he said he thinks the muscle there.

If it is a hip dislocation, can you tell that by looking at the hips?

A vet will be able to tell if the cows hip is disclocated. If she is still able to get up by herself from a sitting position a hip lift will not be needed. As far as moving her, she is best kept in a contained flat area, no mud, and no obstacles where she can trip or get caught on.

Is she a younger animal? We had a younger heifer a few years back, that had a breeding injury vet came out said it was just a leg injury, and sure enough she was up and with her group in less than a week, I sure hope this is the case with this cow.

Gail

We have used the hip lifter with our tractor along with a chain around her front end. If she has a lot of movement not sure how easy that would be our cow was down for another reason and didn't have much fight left but it worked like a sling. Our cow couldn't walk at all. We just cushioned with old rags under her front where the chain would tug hard. I know they make slings but we have never used one and I am not sure of the price have seen them in Jeffers or Valley Vet supply just looked it up around $600. Our idea was cheaper and worked really good we have done it a couple of times. Good luck I agree as well it is hard to see them. I am a rookie as well so much to learn. :idea:

obviuosly a rookie at this too didn't look at the date I found the post through google. My fault shall look at date better next time :oops:

Thanks for all the replies. Here is the update. The vet said that the hip is dislocated. She seems to get up without a problem. Walking still is hard for her. The vet said to keep her in the barn till the grass comes in. Then she will not have a reason to walk very far. He said to give her a chance. She is about 7-8 years old.