Highland X (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
xcowcalf.jpg

certherfbeef":3rue8a5b said:
Highland crossed with what...a sheep?????

:lol: :lol:

Cow is a F1 Highland cross.
Calf is a three way cross.

thats a nice cow and calf SRR. is it a highlandxshorthorn cow and charolais sired calf?

Stocker Steve":1a35a2vv said:
Is this how you get those 1100 pound cows that are all the rage?

Well that is how I do anyway. Take that picture and turn it black. Now you have a pic of most my herd. One day I will have to get a dig. cam and do some posting.

Rustler9":92vouq2n said:
That little cow is raising one be nice of a calf.

That is the idea. The less I have to spend on cow upkeep ( hay, grain, illness, vet, calving problems, ect. ) the more $ in my pocket and the more free time in my day. Not a perfect cross for all operations but real good for long winter and mid.type pasture areas. The Welsh Black side of my F1 cows provide milk needed to raise a continental sired calf also the black color, and in my case polled as well. The Highland side gives me the 1000-1400lb size, hardiness, calving ease, ++ forage abilty, and abit more winter hair. I can not say that I have found the perfect Terminal sire though. Lim. seems to give good results but I am still looking at other options.

Since you're using the Limo for carcass and growth, I don't think you'll find a cont. breed any better. Attitude may suck at times, but it's been proven time and time again in impartial trials that Limo's are far and away the best exotic for conversion, LMY, and carcass.

You could very well be right purecountry. I was thinking of trying a Tarentaise bull as we talked about before. I am just not to sure if I would get the same results as with the Lim.

S.R.R.":8c9fu7c0 said:
You could very well be right purecountry. I was thinking of trying a Tarentaise bull as we talked about before. I am just not to sure if I would get the same results as with the Lim.
There is one way to find out. Try it - and see!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":13r5cmjw said:
S.R.R.":13r5cmjw said:
There is one way to find out. Try it - and see!

DOC HARRIS

I wish I could but I count on the money from my calves each year. As it is I will have to leave the "try and see" approach to those with money to risk.

i sure dont see anything wrong with using a charolais bull if you get calves like that.

Beefy":2kwcx3fa said:
i sure dont see anything wrong with using a charolais bull if you get calves like that.

I agree but most of my herd is black and as much as I hate to say it selling black calves gets me just a bit more $. Maybe a black Charolais?

Just a funny story to add. Last bunch of calves sold were resold as CAB from the feed lot. Not a lick of Angus in em ;-)

google "men in black charolais" and it should come up. they are in canada somewhere. if that doesnt work try "black charolais"

Latest posts