High Tail Bone

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have a heifer with a calf due the end of January. She is 2 years old. The tip of her pelvis and head of the tail are higher than her back. Is this any indication for her birthing abilities? Seems someone told me to avoid cows that have a high tail bone.

chippie, she is from an angus female and sired by a simmental. She is tall and leggy compared to the other crosses I have of these breeds. She has interesting markings. Milk chocolate with white on her back, belly and tail.

inyati13":fvjf5dwj said:
chippie, she is from an angus female and sired by a simmental. She is tall and leggy compared to the other crosses I have of these breeds. She has interesting markings. Milk chocolate with white on her back, belly and tail.
Not necessarily a bad thing. If there is a disproportionate angle from hooks to pens, tilting the pelvis then it can cause discotia. A high tailset can indicate that, but it's not always the case.

If she is chocolate colored, then she is probably out of old style Simmental. Hard to find diluter gene in any of the the modern simmies.
Also, Simm x Angus should be short & stout - another indication of older pedigree.
When cattle get close to calving, they tend to appear to have a high tail head because the ligaments are loosening preparing for calving. This should not be the case if she is not due til end of Jan.

Jeanne, my other Simm x Angus are just like you say. But I bought two Simangus heifers (they had just calved and were bred back in the pasture to HPF On Demand X952; 2536072) from the Hudson Pines Farm (NY) and Rocking P Livestock (KY) joint venture. They were on the Phillips' Farm here in Mason County, KY. These cows are very tall and big. They are very docile. I can walk up to one anywhere and put my hands on any part of her as long as there is no stranger around or my Blue Healer is not scaring her. I banded her calf the first day while her head was over my shoulder! I paid $1800 each for them and I would never sell either one. Both of these cows are Black. One has white in the area of her mammary glands. Back to the cow with the high tail bone. I bought her this fall. She is a cross breed from a good company (Maple Heights). Just a nice commercial heifer. I did not notice how high the head of the tail was until I was around her for a while. She has long legs and is very athletic looking. She walks real well and I like her feet. I just thought someone told me a high tail bone is a bad feature. I like her but then I like every cow after I own them unless they are hardheaded or mean. Comes to mind that is why I left my wife! :lol2:

We breeders like to see those level spines & tail heads and the show scene has made breeders breed them that way. I myself like level hips & pins in my cows however I prefer to avoid those high tail heads as it increases the risk of calving difficulty. Here in Australia we calve out in pasture so don't gave quiet the same control as those calving in confinement in the Northern hemisphere.
I will say one thing. Take a quick look at wild animals e.g. Bison, lions, zebras, giraffes, elephants & even tropical cattle like Brahman. Nature has made them all with slipping rumps and a downward angle from hip to pin. Natural selection produced this....

One more thing...
Jan is somewhat correct with stating that cows/heifers sometimes generate a higher tail head as it nears calving.
Also I was told a high tail head is an indication an animal is later maturing or still growing. This maybe so with your larger framed heifer

Latest posts