High mileage on 6.0 diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle":38ouh0r3 said:
denvermartinfarms":38ouh0r3 said:
J&D Cattle":38ouh0r3 said:
The mileage wouldn't bother me a bit Hoss. I would would agree with Hook based on what I've read and friends have told me that once the repairs are done they are a good motor. But, I'm with Denver and wouldn't want to put that money into something to make it solid. I'm about to trade my Cummins off for a gas burner. $/gallon gap is to wide and I only tow a couple of times a month.
Sounds like You need a half ton dodge diesel.

That would be great if somebody would help pay for it. :D Wife and I are building a house so our savings is busted and I don't want a truck payment.
House or no house a truck payment isn't fun. My 07 dually is paid for and I don't plan on ever buying another truck that I don't pay cash for. I probably should buy a new one now while mine is still worth something and as much as I haul I can't afford breakdowns and warranty's are nice. It makes alot of sense for me to buy a new truck. But it's not in my plans.

Hook":1qgwgvwk said:
Nesi brings up a point I forgot to make.
That truck is only 12-13k on a really good day. unless the issues have already been fixed and documented. Either way, figure on 5-7k if extra if they haven't.

Truck market in Florida and Canada must be weak.

Where Hoss and I live it's pretty strong and trucks hold their value very well.

TennesseeTuxedo":2dj24chv said:
Hook":2dj24chv said:
Nesi brings up a point I forgot to make.
That truck is only 12-13k on a really good day. unless the issues have already been fixed and documented. Either way, figure on 5-7k if extra if they haven't.

Truck market in Florida and Canada must be weak.

Where Hoss and I live it's pretty strong and trucks hold their value very well.

Lots of grocery getting diesels here.

I think there's a reason the "Fummins" conversion is really popular. I do think the Ford is a better truck, the powerplants just sucked except for the 7.3, and even that is a misery to service and work on. I hate working on V8 trucks, there's just no bloody room anywhere, and the turbo is about in the dumbest location you could imagine! Swapping out a turbo on a Cummins motor is about a 20 minute job, and many hours on the V8's.. With the new variable turbines that definitely help drivability, comes increased turbo problems..

Hook what do you think about the 6.4 with 180k ? Mine is a 08 job 1 . Deleted tuned egr blocked at 105k and never taken out of tow tune . Fuel Filters changed every 3rd oil change . Oil changed religiously every 4-5k miles . I take care of it

Yea I've been through a few leaky radiators . Only issue since new . I hear these same trucks sold across seas with out the emissions junk from new are holding up well .. over 300k + and going . Not sure if its true . To be honest can't recall the source

BobbyLummus1":1uu7fxfc said:
Yea I've been through a few leaky radiators . Only issue since new . I hear these same trucks sold across seas with out the emissions junk from new are holding up well .. over 300k + and going . Not sure if its true . To be honest can't recall the source
I would say that's probably right.

denvermartinfarms":kiwcjjon said:
Hook":kiwcjjon said:
The only real issue I've heard of with the 6.4 is electrical gremlins.
And radiators and the high pressure fuel pump that is a cab off repair.

and a simple fuel filter change is a cab off procedure. :bang:

Diesel engines present day are becoming more and more like gas engine. Look at the RPM gauge and you will see they started to redline at 6000+ rpms. Think back to the IDI 7.3L in 1994 that would redline at roughly 1800 rpms. 2003.25 model year was the last of a good diesel and even then I still prefer the '97 body style trucks.

Mudhog, I'm not too familiar with the 7.3 IDI, but 1800 sounds unusually low for a redline, old tractors even have a redline of 2500,.. are you sure that's not a 2800 RPM redline? That would be pretty close to the Cummins 5.9 with a 3000 rpm redline and would be drivable.. 1800 wouldn't be drivable unless you had a 10 speed tranny

Nesikep":1opj2ryb said:
Mudhog, I'm not too familiar with the 7.3 IDI, but 1800 sounds unusually low for a redline, old tractors even have a redline of 2500,.. are you sure that's not a 2800 RPM redline? That would be pretty close to the Cummins 5.9 with a 3000 rpm redline and would be drivable.. 1800 wouldn't be drivable unless you had a 10 speed tranny
I have a 1994 7.3 and I believe it's higher than a 3000 red line. It's a automatic and it revs over 2000 before it shifts. And My 2007 dodge with a 6.7 is almost the same red line as the old ford 7.3.

That sounds much more reasonable, v8's tend to rev higher than inline 6's anyhow. Our old toyota land cruiser 4cyl diesel is a 4000 rpm redline

6.4 Fuel Filters can be changed in 5 min from under hood . The filters cost around $70 now that's ridiculous but its not a cab off repair

Latest posts