hiefer got a broke femur..really

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
cows gotta stop graba$$ing...broken femur on a heifer getting ready top calf in the next 2 mos..
i thought it was dislocated so the vet came out and looked at it. said the femur was broke..i got some picks but postin em is a pita

vet toalked me out of eating her. he said she will likely be fine and do what a cow does. she wont walk staright but i dont either and i do what i gotta.
thought it was dislocated hip and she wouldve been done for with that but the femur isnt as bad as i thought.
got her in the small past and been feedin her so she oughtta be ok

how hard did that poor girl get beat on to break that bone. she long been bred cuz the bull aint after her so i cant blame it on him.

man i broke my femur bout 10 yrs ago and it wouldve been a death sentence for human..save for screws and rods mine wouldve had to be cut off at the hip

That's no good... interesting to hear the vet say she'll be OK though.. I broke my femur just above the knee about 18 years ago now... ditto for me.. pins and wires but I got away with no cast.

Could she have been pushed, and fell onto a rock or something?

i think she mustve got rammed by another cow..shes younger...little smaller...gets pushed around kinda thng.
no bruise i can see. no real swelling. i was surprised the vet said she was good in a few mos too but he knows better than i do ss...

yeah its one of them cow mysterys...lots of em around....i know we all got em

We had the same thing happen to an older cow... we suspected the bull... he liked to go lift the cows up by putting his head between their hind legs and lifting them..

I saw a couple broken legs last summer that healed well. Keep her in a small pen with easy access to hay/water - movement delays bone healing - and give her some pain meds if possible (banamine, aspirin) to keep her comfortable. Based on what I've seen before, 3-4 weeks and she should be able to be moved out into a larger pen as long as she won't be likely to rebreak it in that pen (poor terrain, pecking order issues, etc).

Latest posts