Hide out

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime said:
Y'all please. All you need is a stick to kill a snake. Their back breaks real easy, all it takes is a tap. Don't need a gun.
Would hate to take on a cobra with a stick :shock: , maybe a rake and a spade...

alisonb said:
kenny thomas said:
What do you mean that you can't shoot in the garage. It would have done good ventilation if I seen a Cobra
Don't have a shot gun. The workshop has a cement floor and brick walls and apart from the possibility of a bullet ricocheting I've tried to shoot a moving snake before...I'm not very good at it :lol2: The area is not very big either, probably 8m x 8m and is cluttered with all my tools & equipment that I still need to organise, no room for error.
you can get rat shot for a .22 rifle, doesn't damage much of anything but is effective against snakes and rats
These are pretty good
https://youtu.be/zh0jCg8Ymuo

alisonb said:
ga.prime said:
Y'all please. All you need is a stick to kill a snake. Their back breaks real easy, all it takes is a tap. Don't need a gun.
Would hate to take on a cobra with a stick :shock: , maybe a rake and a spade...
You're right, no stick is long enough for a cobra. I'm just talking about snakes locally. We don't have snakes eighteen feet long. :D

Nesikep said:
you can get rat shot for a .22 rifle, doesn't damage much of anything but is effective against snakes and rats
These are pretty good
When I started decluttering some time back I got rid of the .22 rifle :roll: That would have been the way to go. I basically grew up with a .22 in my hands, hand guns not too much. Could have got it the first day...could have would have should have :(

alisonb said:
Nesikep said:
These are pretty good
When I started decluttering some time back I got rid of the .22 rifle :roll: That would have been the way to go. I basically grew up with a .22 in my hands, hand guns not too much. Could have got it the first day...could have would have should have :(

Get a fire extinguisher with CO2 in it and freeze him out.

hurleyjd said:
alisonb said:
Nesikep said:
These are pretty good

Get a fire extinguisher with CO2 in it and freeze him out.

Foaming wasp spray will kill a snake Black Flag dead.

alisonb said:
My little hide out in the bush. Have been here since 1 March. Our lock-down ends on 16 April(it may be extended). Been reading, renovating, gardening, cooking, walking, swimming and thinking and thinking. Have not yet run out of supplies but I'm sure I will. Beautiful evening here, almost full moon...can't believe there is so much suffering going on in the world right now.

Where are you at this moment...have you gone into isolation or are you working(essential services)?

Is that a monkey sitting in the front yard? ;/

You be the judge of that Kingfisher ;-) Here's a close up for you.

She keeps the lions and other wild animals away. I have to keep her fenced in otherwise she would never be home :D

SA has extended lockdown until the end of the month.

No further sighting of my copper pal, don't think he liked his box...

We had 3 inches of rain this week , the river is flowing nicely.
https://vimeo.com/408502899

Looks like I'll have to make a trip to town sometime, have run out of petrol, paint and condensed milk. Nothing like a good cup of coffee with condensed milk added in the morning :D

alisonb said:
We had 3 inches of rain this week , the river is flowing nicely.
https://vimeo.com/408502899

Looks like I'll have to make a trip to town sometime, have run out of petrol, paint and condensed milk. Nothing like a good cup of coffee with condensed milk added in the morning :D

Looks about like the rivers here right now after the rain we've had this week. Do y'all have crocs in the rivers there?

alisonb said:
Nesikep said:
These are pretty good

Alison how are things over your way? Still new cases popping up everyday?? Are you still in your hide out??

alisonb said:
About 2 weeks ago I heard the birds making a racket and went to look. Watched this snake raid a birds nest, was not to concerned about safety as it looked like a mole snake until it re positioned itself under the roof and I could see it's scales. Yikes...a 'Koperkapel'(copper cape) as we call it. A cobra!!! Just after the pic was taken it slithered down a tree and disappeared into the bush :shock: .
The birds have alerted me a couple of times now but it just slips away before I can get my gat.

Over the weekend I was on my haunches looking through a toolbox in the garage when I heard a sound behind me, about 3 meters away. If anyone ever tries to tell you that a snake does not make a noise when it moves don't believe them. I slowly peered over my shoulder just in time to see it's tail disappearing under a crate :shock: I gingerly removed myself from the garage, contemplating the next move. Couldn't shoot in the garage but there was a box in there...perhaps the box :nod: but how...

Made sure my animals were locked up then stood just outside of the door and watched it for what seemed like an age. It was obviously hunting as it made a couple of rounds in the garage. Eventually there was an opportunity to set up the box on it's side, it had heard me and ducked under a wood pile. Box in place in a corner with a piece of hardboard as a 'slide' lid... now just watch and wait :p .

Stood in my position and it was not too long before it came out. It started raining, I either had to get in the garage or abort my mission. Decided on garage and just as I entered it felt a little threatened and half raised it's head and hood at me, I retreated until it went under a toolbox then quickly jumped up on the workbench :lol: . Time passed, the rain silenced any noise I may have made and out it came. Along the wall, behind the hardboard and into the box. The rain was pounding, my heart was pounding, I quickly jumped off the workbench and slid the lid on the box, righted the box and put a weight on it...got it!!!

Left it in the garage and sprinted home to decide on next move, how do you kill a snake in a box?? It rained the rest of the afternoon so nothing got done. Morning came and just as I suspected the box was empty, there was a small slit just under the lid where it had escaped. Left the garage open and hoped in he!! that it would just go away. Have not seen it again but even the hosepipe looked a bit like a snake this afternoon :lol:

https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/snake/cape-cobra/

Great bedtime story, I'll sleep good. 😉😅 I'd shot the entire garage up than lit a match. 😝🤡 Just playing. But I did like the 🐍 in a box. 😅 I did that with a mouse one time when I worked at a ups like packaging store. I didn't know what to do with it. A customer came in and wanted a box so I gave him a box. 😅🤡 with a free mouse. 🤣😭 🤷🏽‍♀️ He was a regular customer always messing with me. Funny part is he never said nothing about the mouse. 🤷🏽‍♀️🤡😝

ga.prime said:

Oh good send me all your guns. 😉😊😅🤡
I'm joking!!!

Nice place AlisonB.
I feel less stress in coronavirus quarantine. I'm not having to run this kids to school and pick them up...the entire schedule thing stresses me out. I like to do stuff when I feel like it. Not have to get there at a certain time.
We been staying busy between kids, farm stuff, remodeling a house, etc. We stay home most the time anyways . I've been going to Sam's club, the grocery store every 2-3 weeks. Guess we just getting old and boring stuck in our ways. Heck its find with me! 😊

A.J. said:
Do y'all have crocs in the rivers there?
Not in my area, verry unlikely. They mainly occur in North Eastern regions, Mpumalanga way. I usually take a walk to the river every day. There is quite an overgrown area to the left as one comes down the stairs. Was half way down when I heard a lot of rustling so stopped and listened, couldn't see what was making a noise but it must have been sizable. Wasn't going to find out either, I hightailed it out of there :shock: This lockdown has my nerves on end, it wasn't a croc it sounded more sort of human. Found out later that the neighbor had lost 3 canoes and was searching for them... :lol:

Latest posts