Hide out

Help Support CattleToday:

About 2 weeks ago I heard the birds making a racket and went to look. Watched this snake raid a birds nest, was not to concerned about safety as it looked like a mole snake until it re positioned itself under the roof and I could see it's scales. Yikes...a 'Koperkapel'(copper cape) as we call it. A cobra!!! Just after the pic was taken it slithered down a tree and disappeared into the bush :shock: .
The birds have alerted me a couple of times now but it just slips away before I can get my gat.

Over the weekend I was on my haunches looking through a toolbox in the garage when I heard a sound behind me, about 3 meters away. If anyone ever tries to tell you that a snake does not make a noise when it moves don't believe them. I slowly peered over my shoulder just in time to see it's tail disappearing under a crate :shock: I gingerly removed myself from the garage, contemplating the next move. Couldn't shoot in the garage but there was a box in there...perhaps the box :nod: but how...

Made sure my animals were locked up then stood just outside of the door and watched it for what seemed like an age. It was obviously hunting as it made a couple of rounds in the garage. Eventually there was an opportunity to set up the box on it's side, it had heard me and ducked under a wood pile. Box in place in a corner with a piece of hardboard as a 'slide' lid... now just watch and wait :p .

Stood in my position and it was not too long before it came out. It started raining, I either had to get in the garage or abort my mission. Decided on garage and just as I entered it felt a little threatened and half raised it's head and hood at me, I retreated until it went under a toolbox then quickly jumped up on the workbench :lol: . Time passed, the rain silenced any noise I may have made and out it came. Along the wall, behind the hardboard and into the box. The rain was pounding, my heart was pounding, I quickly jumped off the workbench and slid the lid on the box, righted the box and put a weight on it...got it!!!

Left it in the garage and sprinted home to decide on next move, how do you kill a snake in a box?? It rained the rest of the afternoon so nothing got done. Morning came and just as I suspected the box was empty, there was a small slit just under the lid where it had escaped. Left the garage open and hoped in he!! that it would just go away. Have not seen it again but even the hosepipe looked a bit like a snake this afternoon :lol:

https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/snake/cape-cobra/

Life is pretty much normal here for me. get up in the morning, check cows, give calves their grain and then go back in to my cozy chair and wait for the warm weather to come. I'm not a big town person, maybe go twice a month, so this quarantine stuff doesn't effect me. Now if they would quarantine me from the late night cow checks... Heck I would be on cloud 9! lol

callmefence said:
Pretty much business as usual. We've had a few jobs lost and a few setback. The boys are still working everyday. Just not all riding in the same truck.
Once I see them off in the morning I mostly go to hobby ranching. I ride round in my doolly pickup and "check cows". Make sure the grass is growing. Sometimes I spot a weed and then it's time to hook up the sprayer....
Gotta be a couple of cold beers in that routine somewhere. :nod: :nod:

alisonb said:
About 2 weeks ago I heard the birds making a racket and went to look. Watched this snake raid a birds nest, was not to concerned about safety as it looked like a mole snake until it re positioned itself under the roof and I could see it's scales. Yikes...a 'Koperkapel'(copper cape) as we call it. A cobra!!! Just after the pic was taken it slithered down a tree and disappeared into the bush :shock: .
The birds have alerted me a couple of times now but it just slips away before I can get my gat.

Over the weekend I was on my haunches looking through a toolbox in the garage when I heard a sound behind me, about 3 meters away. If anyone ever tries to tell you that a snake does not make a noise when it moves don't believe them. I slowly peered over my shoulder just in time to see it's tail disappearing under a crate :shock: I gingerly removed myself from the garage, contemplating the next move. Couldn't shoot in the garage but there was a box in there...perhaps the box :nod: but how...

Made sure my animals were locked up then stood just outside of the door and watched it for what seemed like an age. It was obviously hunting as it made a couple of rounds in the garage. Eventually there was an opportunity to set up the box on it's side, it had heard me and ducked under a wood pile. Box in place in a corner with a piece of hardboard as a 'slide' lid... now just watch and wait :p .

Stood in my position and it was not too long before it came out. It started raining, I either had to get in the garage or abort my mission. Decided on garage and just as I entered it felt a little threatened and half raised it's head and hood at me, I retreated until it went under a toolbox then quickly jumped up on the workbench :lol: . Time passed, the rain silenced any noise I may have made and out it came. Along the wall, behind the hardboard and into the box. The rain was pounding, my heart was pounding, I quickly jumped off the workbench and slid the lid on the box, righted the box and put a weight on it...got it!!!

Left it in the garage and sprinted home to decide on next move, how do you kill a snake in a box?? It rained the rest of the afternoon so nothing got done. Morning came and just as I suspected the box was empty, there was a small slit just under the lid where it had escaped. Left the garage open and hoped in he!! that it would just go away. Have not seen it again but even the hosepipe looked a bit like a snake this afternoon :lol:

https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/snake/cape-cobra/

No! Ain't no way! And Yikes! As a general rule, snakes don't bother me but we don't have any with hoods. Make darn sure you wear sturdy boots when you're in the garage.

Sitting in my house on the farm - about 1/2 a mile off the gravel road that goes east to west out in front of the house.

Just put a fire in the wood stove to warm the house for the night.

Not a house to be seen from our place and the dogs are coming in for the evening.

The new hay field is finally poking through the remaining snow and I am hoping it grows well because it is always a gamble planting one in the fall.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Be safe and be happy.

L

Y'all please. All you need is a stick to kill a snake. Their back breaks real easy, all it takes is a tap. Don't need a gun.

ga.prime said:
Y'all please. All you need is a stick to kill a snake. Their back breaks real easy, all it takes is a tap. Don't need a gun.
Wrong, that would require me to be close enough to hit it with the stick.
Back to the gun. Shotgun is even better

kenny thomas said:
ga.prime said:
Wrong, that would require me to be close enough to hit it with the stick.
Back to the gun. Shotgun is even better
if you're going to use a gun, shotgun is the only gun to use. Too many misses with anythlng else. I don't usually kill snakes but when I do, I just step on them or kick them in the head.

I'm glad we don't have any venomous snakes here, so I don't mind them.. we have rat snakes, garter snakes and rubber boas.. other side of the river had rattlers

Here's my days work, finally cleaned up the trees that fell in january, some millable wood in there, big ones are about 34" DBH.. SOOO many branches, sure glad to have the crawler for this job

Been almost two months since I've been to town. Which is normal for this time of year. I'm been in self isolation since before I even heard of a virus.
Fortunately I have this forum to spend my spare time getting under peoples skin.

A shovel or a 22 pistol with snake shot are my preferred weapons to kill snakes. But it was 20 degrees yesterday morning and 3 mornings before that. It will be 3 weeks or so until the rattlers start showing up. The reputation of snakes here does help with social distancing in the summer. Snow does the same thing in the winter.

Business as usual... haven't been off the farm since 19th March, will have to go get some feed soon or there are animals that will be unhappy (cats and chooks).

kenny thomas said:
What do you mean that you can't shoot in the garage. It would have done good ventilation if I seen a Cobra
Don't have a shot gun. The workshop has a cement floor and brick walls and apart from the possibility of a bullet ricocheting I've tried to shoot a moving snake before...I'm not very good at it :lol2: The area is not very big either, probably 8m x 8m and is cluttered with all my tools & equipment that I still need to organise, no room for error.

Latest posts