Hey Windmillers

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I've been wondering about windmills. We have plenty of wind in my area but nobody uses a windmill for pumping water. I'm wondering if our water is to deep? Maybe it just never caught on? How deep can a windmill pull water from?

Ive kicked the idra around a bit for electricity at the barn.
Even for water its cost prohibative in most cases.

where Im at water is at about 125ft out on the desert it may be 350-500ft down. The windmills would still be able to lift that? maybe it is just cost prohibitive? Then again people truck water out to those areas, it would seem a windmill would soon pay for itself.

All you have to do is match the size of the windmill to the depth you need to pump from and if you are pushing water in a pipleline and storage system. On our place we have two 14' mills, one that pulls from about 350' foot using 2" pipe and barrell that goes into a pretty flat pipeline and storage system. The other mill pulls from a 30' well and pushes several miles of pipe up a very steep slope to the storage and drinkers, the pipe line runs just under max pressure at the well head.

have you considered solar? It is super popular in remote areas in australia. Or you could always use an electricity generating wind turbine to power an electric pump. The setup costs might look nasty but could well workout in the long run.

Latest posts