Heterozygous vs Double black

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
I have been looking over a catalog for a Gelbvieh/Angus sale. Some of the bulls are noted as red carriers, some as homozygous black, and some as double black. If a double black was bred to red cows, would the percentage of black calves be higher than 50/50?

northcreek":3sj4bdfa said:
I have been looking over a catalog for a Gelbvieh/Angus sale. Some of the bulls are noted as red carriers, some as homozygous black, and some as double black. If a double black was bred to red cows, would the percentage of black calves be higher than 50/50?

Double black is just another name for homozygous black, that means two shots of the dominant black hide gene, genes can only come in pairs so a double black bull was bred to red cows will produce 100% black but carriers of the red gene. that would make them heterozygous black or red carrier black. :cboy:

To my understanding, 'double black' means that the both parents of the bull were black and the bull is black - but they've not had him tested to ensure that he is homozygous black. He could be either homo black or hetero black... it's a gamble... do ya feel lucky?

I'm like lucky, I thought it meant both dam and sire were black, but not necessarily proven to be homozygous.

They had the Bulls listed but just today put the catalog online and it has explanation of my question in it. Thanks for the responses though.

gaurus":33hk81qx said:
northcreek":33hk81qx said:

Double black is just another name for homozygous black, that means two shots of the dominant black hide gene, genes can only come in pairs so a double black bull was bred to red cows will produce 100% black but carriers of the red gene. that would make them heterozygous black or red carrier black. :cboy:

wrong.

According to their catalog double black means two black parents and it is not tested or guaranteed homo black.

northcreek":5ut9vlqj said:
According to their catalog double black means two black parents and it is not tested or guaranteed homo black.

You see this a ton in bigger Limi sales. They often just don't want to go through the time or money to test them all.

It's just advertising hype. Doesn;t tell you anything except the animal is black and it's parents were black. There are better odds that it is homozygous black then an animal from a black and red parent, but it still could be heterozygous black

Trickery in a way - People that don't know much about colour genetics often assume black will always make black and his parents are black too, so there's no doubt he's gonna throw black... Until a red shows up they get ticked off, and look into why - and are corrected on their mistake.

And then there's people saying 'oh that just means homo black - they can only have black calves' Well if it was homo black they would call it that, they don't need a second word to describe the same thing.

Latest posts