Heterosis......Again........

Help Support CattleToday:

Genetic variation is inherent if we investigate Ma Nature.

Sure, they LOOK uniform in nature, but if we actually measure them, they aren't. Lot's of variation.

If we breed them from nature, we see even more variation in just a couple generations.

Ma Nature generally has it built to disperse the pubertal animals away from their homegrounds.

What do you think?

Badlands

Badlands":sn9kze7i said:
Genetic variation is inherent if we investigate Ma Nature.

Sure, they LOOK uniform in nature, but if we actually measure them, they aren't. Lot's of variation.

If we breed them from nature, we see even more variation in just a couple generations.

Ma Nature generally has it built to disperse the pubertal animals away from their homegrounds.

What do you think?

Badlands
it' ll take awhile too sink in but ill get back too you :cboy:

ALACOWMAN":nkoa2ea8 said:
ok badlands im gonna ask a question of you. not because i know but because i want to know. i read were someone stated that livestock aint meant to be homozygious. do you think that they are more likely to have defects to surface than hetero's?

nature loves diversity (mainly for adaptability). heterozygous animals are more diverse genetically.

a heterozygous animal (Gg) isnt able to exhibit a simple recessive. an animal that is homozygous (GG or gg) for a certain pair has a 50% chance of displaying that gene.

going along with what you two have said and reading some on it. in the longhorn breed is pretty much defect free. due to natural selection. while running wild at one time.

alacowman,

Not to talk to you more, but to put into context my remarks.

I take my experience from some things I have seen for myself.

I have participated in a couple internet groups where the thought was "Mother Nature doesn't like extremes" or "Mother Nature makes them all alike".

However, when I look at things in nature, like the Bison in Yellowstone, or some exhibits at our local museum where they have over 40 variants of a specie collected in one man's backyard, or when I see the different colors that come out of quail when bred in captivity after being captured in the wild, I understand that Mother Nature is quite variable.

We just don't SEE it until we can actually MEASURE the animals.

When we measure them, we find they are quite variable.

Worked with some Natural Resources grads on their data. You wouldn't believe the variation present in mature size of fish that came from the same genetics and were raised together.

If Mother Nature is so uniform, why do we all look for the "big one"?

Badlands

MY":17wnm5ht said:
Heterosis isn't all roses either. Keep in mind that when you avail yourself of the advantages of heterozygosity, you're also sweeping all kinds of unexpressed genetic garbage under the rug. One day, those undesireable traits that are carried can and will surface randomly in the subsequent filial generations.
MY-

I think that you are confusing the terms "Heterosis" and"
"Heterozygosity". Heterozygosity -the state or condition of being a heterozygote, which animal is having two different alleles at a single locus on a chromosome, and therefore NOT breeding true for the particular or trait involved: Hybrid. Heterosis - a phenomenon resullting from hybridization, in which offspring display greater vigor, size, resistance, etc, than the parents.

Regarding the "unexpressed garbage under the rug", I will concede that those unexpressed traits ARE under the rug, however they cannot express themselves unless and until another LIKE allele unites with the "Under The Rug Gang". thereby allowing the characteristic to flex it muscles and come out from under the carpet. Proof unto itself how important it is that mating is NOT done WILLY-NILLY! This is another positive-proof point in favor of a breeder KNOWING the EPD's of his HERD in order to avoid the negative traits being inadvertently forced into expression - and they WILL surface randomly if left to their own unrestrained self-expressionism - the Homozygosity and/or Heterozygosity being ignored -mongrolism resulting. Resolute, tenacious, perseverance toward ALL gametes and traits - desirable AND undesirable is imperative in crossbreeding as well as purebreeding. Perhaps MORE so in crossbreeding! Cattle breeders are playing a very sophisticated game of "Allele, Allele, whose got the Alleles?"

Again, this is another MANDATE for using Purebred Bulls with well-known, high accuracy traits in crossbreeding systems - that is giving the breeder the knowledge of KNOWING the percentages of characteristics with which he is working, thereby allowing him to have all the advantages that are possible for him to play the games.

. . . . .and it is a deadly game!

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

EPD have nothing to do with recessive genes.

EPD are built for traits determined by additive genes.

Badlands

Badlands":d5l8t32b said:
Doc,

EPD have nothing to do with recessive genes.

EPD are built for traits determined by additive genes.

Badlands
-Badlands-

Sorry - I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I - uh - do know that recessive genes don't enter into the formula of EPD!

'Nuff said.

DOC HARRIS

Ok, I'll bite. What other benefits are there for heterosis besides EPD's? Or are there any?

Walt

Latest posts