Hernia

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
We have about a month old bull calf with an umbilical hernia. The vet wants him to be at least two months old before he fixes it. My son took him the vet and he didn't ask why. Why do you think he wants to wait? The calf seems well and full of energy. Also, if we plan on using this calf for a county show steer, do you think any vet will work? Or should I seek one out that deals with more show animals? The estimate cost of the repair is $100. The price seem more than fair, but is that a typical cost for that type of repair?

We had a heifer calf that we paid about $100 for a hernia repair. I just asked my husband, Van, why the vet wanted to wait until the calf was 2 months old. He said the vet wanted the calf weaned off milk replacer first...and that's about all he could remember about it.

Alice

Perhaps because an older calf is less likely to die from "other" causes - like scours - after you have the hernia fixed. No sense in fixing a hernia only to lose the calf to something else soon after, esp since when they're young they're more sensitive and fragile. Also, could be the vet wonders if it would fix itself on its own; they do that sometimes.

Dun has a really cheap home treatment for hernias... has something to do with duct tape.