Herf question

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc":3ulm05nz said:
Post Oak":3ulm05nz said:
I grew up around Polled Herefords and I love them. The problem that a fella like me in my area that has a one bull herd where the same bull has to breed heifers and cows and then be resold after 2 or 3 years is finding quality affordable Hereford(Horned or Polled) bulls close to home. Within 100 miles (my hauling affordability limit) of my place , I can find Limo, Limflex, Simmental(not Simangus though), Beefmaster, Charolais, and gobs of Angus of good quality at a better price.

Post Oak it is the same here except I can find good Horned Herefords for a very reasonable price. When I find a Polled Hereford that is good enough to use in a commercial herd they call him a herd bull and want 6-20,000 for him. What many Polled breeders call commercial bulls should of been castrated. And the few breeders selling quality polled bulls at an affordable price have a waiting list. We can also add Gelbveigh and Balancer to the list of affordable bulls you can find around here.
We have a lack of Horned Hereford breeders around here. You will pay $3000 to $3500 to get a Horned Hereford bull. You can buy a decent yearling Angus bull from a multiplier-breeder for around $1500. Do the math when you have to sell at the sale barn that rewards black hide.

Post Oak":1r4xz68z said:
We have a lack of Horned Hereford breeders around here. You will pay $3000 to $3500 to get a Horned Hereford bull. You can buy a decent yearling Angus bull from a multiplier-breeder for around $1500. Do the math when you have to sell at the sale barn that rewards black hide.

So Hereford seed stock operations are the most profitable?

Post Oak":1bhu92t5 said:
elkwc":1bhu92t5 said:
Post Oak":1bhu92t5 said:
I grew up around Polled Herefords and I love them. The problem that a fella like me in my area that has a one bull herd where the same bull has to breed heifers and cows and then be resold after 2 or 3 years is finding quality affordable Hereford(Horned or Polled) bulls close to home. Within 100 miles (my hauling affordability limit) of my place , I can find Limo, Limflex, Simmental(not Simangus though), Beefmaster, Charolais, and gobs of Angus of good quality at a better price.

Post Oak it is the same here except I can find good Horned Herefords for a very reasonable price. When I find a Polled Hereford that is good enough to use in a commercial herd they call him a herd bull and want 6-20,000 for him. What many Polled breeders call commercial bulls should of been castrated. And the few breeders selling quality polled bulls at an affordable price have a waiting list. We can also add Gelbveigh and Balancer to the list of affordable bulls you can find around here.

Bulls especially Angus must be cheaper there. Here a good yearling Angus bull this spring at most sales has been running 3,500-4,500. About the same with a good Horned Hereford. I've seen some still asking 5-6 thousand for a good polled bull which is hard to find. I think in time the polled bulls will drop a little as I know of very few moving at the prices they are asking. A few sales are coming up and they usually set the floor prices for the breeders selling private treaty.

elkwc":1mlzu7ml said:
Post Oak":1mlzu7ml said:
elkwc":1mlzu7ml said:

Bulls especially Angus must be cheaper there. Here a good yearling Angus bull this spring at most sales has been running 3,500-4,500. About the same with a good Horned Hereford. I've seen some still asking 5-6 thousand for a good polled bull which is hard to find. I think in time the polled bulls will drop a little as I know of very few moving at the prices they are asking. A few sales are coming up and they usually set the floor prices for the breeders selling private treaty.
You can usually buy the exact same Angus genetics in the Southeast cheaper. That has been stated on here before. The Angus breeders here are using basically the same AI sires as people out west.

Whether you have a pasture full of Brahmans or Black Angus, crossing them to a registered Hereford bull, either horned or polled, with good to great EPD's will be profitable for you and your cow/calf operation. Those tiger stripe Braford replacement heifers are very hot sellers right now and it's hard to beat a black baldie calf or mama for carcass, calving ease and heterosis. Talk to a Hereford breeder and see what Hereford can do for you. Plus the disposition of a Hereford is unbeatable.

Latest posts