Herf bull calf, 7 months old

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
By the time I took his picture he'd had enough standing and was squirming, so I took several shots trying to get good shots of different parts. What do you think?
DCP_1347.JPG

DCP_1346.JPG

DCP_1330.JPG

DCP_1331.JPG

DCP_1332.JPG

very nice bull calf he's got a nice topline and alot thickness through his top and his rear i don't know if its just the pictures or me but he seems a little keen boned in his front legs JMO. Overall nice bull calf i like him alot! :D

showkid1200":1a2swzxi said:
very nice bull calf he's got a nice topline and alot thickness through his top and his rear i don't know if its just the pictures or me but he seems a little keen boned in his front legs JMO. Overall nice bull calf i like him alot! :D
I'm not sure what 'keen boned' means, but I will say I brushed him and did a bit of clipping on his top line and underline. I brushed his front legs from the knee up, and the hair stood out straight so I could clip it smooth into his shoulders. I didn't brush below the knee. So I will say the lower part of his front legs don't look right compared to the forearm.

I think he's really nice. Who's he out of. His front legs do look a little fine boned, but its hard to tell for sure.

I think the perspective of the first few pics added to the "keen boned"

AS for what I can see from the pics...

very good depth
good thick bull neck and head for 7 months old
adequate length
Good bone on hind legs
nice and wide over the top and between the pins with the stifle being the widest part of the body as it should be
very good length of rump
decent eye set and pigment

what I don't like, but it may be the way he stands and the shade:

Looks to be slightly cow hocked.
looks like his front fett might toe out a little more than what I like
I would like pigmentation on the scrotum.

I think he's overall a good bull calf that I would give the opportunity to develope further, he might turn into a good bull, however I am sticking my neck out for commenting on less than ideal pics.

The squirming set up the 'cow-hocked' look to his back legs, same with the toe splayed out in front. The little bugger stood as still as a statue for an hour while I brushed and did a bit of clipping on him. Then I tied him outside for the pictures and he started throwing a fit for his penmate in the barn.
Yes, I'd like to see pigmentation on his scrotum. And he only has a rim of pigmentation around his eyes. He does appear short in length, we've kept watching that. Comparing him to a Feb heifer who looks very long, he's the same length. He's not as smooth behind the shoulders as I'd like to see, but he was earlier so I think he's just going through a stage.

His sire is a Kootenay x 19D cow. His mother is a Boyd Heavy Hitter x HB Horizon cow.

*Cowgirl*":1646b9zj said:
Overall, I like him. Where will you be showing him?
He's entered in the NAILE, as a bull. We sold several half brothers for club calves. We're probably keeping 1 or 2 more half brothers as bulls, and maybe a steer for our grandson but he's only 7. Super dispositions in this group of calves.

Latest posts