Here's a question for you

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Today is Gomer's last day on the place. We'll haul him to the sale barn tomorrow morning. So tell me: What does he weigh? And what will he bring? He's five years old, not a breeder. What's your best guess?

Romeo2008005.jpg

Romeo2008003.jpg

Romeo2008004.jpg

For those that don't know, he's our marker (gomer or spotter) bull that we use to help identify cows in heat for AI.

I'll take a stab at it, BUT I'm more interested in why Gomer has been kept around so long :? And if Gomer is/was a pet how can you part with him now. :cry2:

Anyway, it looks to me like he grew up purty good size. I say 1900@$.60. :nod:

I would say around the 2 mark and if you sold him here he would get you about 10 cents a pound. ;-) .

Why use a gomer to begin with?? you can AI detect easily without one?? :?

This would be funner with a different pic. Lets get a pic of someone on the forum and we can all guess her weight. :lol2:

1650lbs?

Walt

I say he'll go 1800 give or take 25 lbs. Around here he would bring as high as $.80 especially if he was over 2000lbs.

High dress bulls are bringing 72 to 74 dollars at La Junta down in SE Colo. Low dress a little less.

Friend of mine sold a 2265lb Limo Bull (pig fat) for .80 10 days ago. Got every penny back he paid for him 5 yrs ago.

I would have thought a {GURU} would have known why Gomer was there, especially after it was said in so many words. Maybe too much typing, n not enough cattle work for this one. Maybe you should go to the sale n buy the bull, I would bet he would surprise you with the calf crop. Redneck word of the day,{Cologne}- I'd sure like to know the owner of that bull, I'd see if they cologne me that bull for just one season, cause my bull died, n I couldn't afford missing a calf crop.

buckwheat

mnmtranching":1kzulrux said:
I'll take a stab at it, BUT I'm more interested in why Gomer has been kept around so long :? And if Gomer is/was a pet how can you part with him now. :cry2:

Anyway, it looks to me like he grew up purty good size. I say 1900@$.60. :nod:

Gomer is not a pet. He's been an important part of our breeding program. I am sad to see him go. He had a certain amount of enertainment value. When we ran him in the chute to refill his chinball marker, he'd posture, bawl, maybe paw the ground a little bit. But if you just stood there, he'd finally throw up his head and go stand in the squeeze chute. He was good tempered, handled well in the corral. But the last two breeding seasons, he'd only breed a cow once. So if you weren't around to see that one time, it might be tough to know when she stood and if you don't know when she stood, you don't know when to AI. He'd leave paint on her from the chinball marker, but this last year, he took to rubbing that thing in the ground and draining it almost as soon as we filled it. So, all in all, it was time for him to go. So now we've got to replace him. :(

The sale is today and we usually get the check on Thursday afternoon. I'll post price and weight when we get it.

dang frankie we never let the barn mail the checks.we either get them the day of the sale or the day after the sale.

bigbull338":9ndj2im0 said:
dang frankie we never let the barn mail the checks.we either get them the day of the sale or the day after the sale.

We didn't have time to spend the day there, waiting for him to sell. It's about 30 miles to the sale barn. Considering gas prices these days, I'll just wait for the mail. :)

Latest posts