Here's a question for you

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":4qwr8t01 said:
bigbull338":4qwr8t01 said:
dang frankie we never let the barn mail the checks.we either get them the day of the sale or the day after the sale.

We didn't have time to spend the day there, waiting for him to sell. It's about 30 miles to the sale barn. Considering gas prices these days, I'll just wait for the mail. :)
i away's let em mail to me too. got alot on the ball when i leave here> work<.. no time to haunt sale barns :p

ALACOWMAN":1qdveib2 said:
Frankie":1qdveib2 said:
bigbull338":1qdveib2 said:
dang frankie we never let the barn mail the checks.we either get them the day of the sale or the day after the sale.

We didn't have time to spend the day there, waiting for him to sell. It's about 30 miles to the sale barn. Considering gas prices these days, I'll just wait for the mail. :)
i away's let em mail to me too. got alot on the ball when i leave here> work<.. no time to haunt sale barns :p

Hear that! 80 miles one way to my sale barn. $4.79 for diesel now.

bigbull338":2emr3kwr said:

Day after the sale??? Heck I'm standing at the pay window with my hand out the minute it comes off the printer. :)

Right , I forgot that you work outside the farm ,makes sense for sure.
We tried one a while back but he would "detect" them when they should be bred,, so we were breeding twelve hours too late. :roll: We went back to the old way of checking ourselves all the time ( always had to be there anyways being a large dairy operation) and a camera in the barns so you could review what you missed during the night.

We haven't seen prices like that around here for a long time..The last time was in 2001, I took a yearling Holstein bull in for slaughter that didn't make the grade after his exam, got $1.02 a pound for him..The good ole days.. :(

I think your fella might weigh over 2000lbs though..pics are deceiving.

The mail hasn't run on Thursday yet so she doesn't know what he brought or what he weighed. I'll guess .72/lb X 1650lb = $1188.

Frankie":4c3q1by0 said:
Today is Gomer's last day on the place. We'll haul him to the sale barn tomorrow morning. So tell me: What does he weigh? And what will he bring? He's five years old, not a breeder. What's your best guess?

Romeo2008005.jpg

Romeo2008003.jpg

Romeo2008004.jpg

For those that don't know, he's our marker (gomer or spotter) bull that we use to help identify cows in heat for AI.

Here are the answers:

Weight: 1375
Price: $66.50

Total selling price $914.38, less fees, commission, etc, check received for $884.18.

That will, maybe, replace him. Thanks for the guesses.

VanC":2q6k35r5 said:
Txwalt":2q6k35r5 said:
hillrancher":2q6k35r5 said:
Gomer is an oxen. Will weigh 1720 and bring 0.58 per lb.

Why is Gomer an oxen?

Walt

Actually, Gomer is (or was) a Longhorn.

Thanks, Frankie. That was kinda fun.

Yes, he's probably hamburger by now. :( I can't imagine that there would be any profit in putting him in a feedlot. The grass has been good; he was in pretty good shape.

I've always wondered about the discussions on the boards about what something weighed, just from photos. So this was sort of a test. I think people tend to overestimate the weight of light colored animals and underestimate dark colored animals.

wow i was over now that i read back light animals do look bigger i see it now. wow kool