heres a picture of the horse

Help Support CattleToday:

KY

Reaction score
th_horse004.jpg

Cant tell much about the horse from this photo. Need a closer one.
Can you see ribs? spine?
It doesnt look like it has a lot of grass in that pasture, but again i cant really tell. what kind of hay are you feeding?

After seeing this picture I worry about the water supply of this horse. Cattle would have no problem drinking from the pond in the background. I hope that isn't the only water supply, because a horse would only drink there if it was all he had, and then he wouldn't drink enough to stay healthy, though he would drink enough to stay alive.

Is there a fresh water supply? Or is there a clean running creek? Cattle deposit their manure in ponds and horses don't like to drink it. :?:

KY":39vgtwrj said:
the pond is on the other side of the fence, he has fresh water always its a 400 gallen tank

Excellent, then we can rule out water as his problem. You might talk to a local vet or extension agent and find out what minerals might be lacking in your area soils, that could affect your horse. Also a vet might do a blood work up to see if he has a problem.

Older horses don't make the best use of their available nutrients, so if you can pinpoint what is going on, you may just need to give him a special supplement that a 'notmal' horse wouldn't need.

KY, has that horse had his teeth floated? Sharp edges on the teeth cause discomfort and sometimes ulcers in the mouth. Worth a try. If you can, run your fingers alongside his teeth to see if you can feel any sharp points or sores.

We have the kids old saddle horses floated every year or two, and it sure makes a difference in their ability to keep flesh on.

For what it's worth, I usually check the teeth on younger horses as well if they aren't dong as well as I'd like or exhibiting signs of discomfort when bridled, as they can sometimes have a tooth "hang-up" when they're changing teeth, or sharp edges on their molars as well.

Take care.

Latest posts