Herefords Around Calgary

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Heading to Calgary, and then up to Rimbey to look at some Welsh Black bulls and some horned hereford bulls. Anyone I should go see? Going to see 2 Nixdorfs, Holloway Farms, Brost Land & Cattle, Church Ranch, and Stauffer farms.

The longevity in the Bar Pipe cows is a key selling feature. Last I heard, they were working down the cow size. I don't think they are nearly as big as they were in the early 90's. A lot of good bulls out of their program.

I am not keen of what I have seen of the cattle Holloway has in their advertising. I think they will screw up Blume's cows in a few short generations. They seem the type that chases fads. I would however, be keen to buy one of Blume's last bulls. I always enjoyed talking to Walter.

Ya one of the best bulls dad and my uncle had is 50/50 out of a blume bull i believe. Dad wants me to go there to look at the blume cows really.

I would suggest going up to Hill 70 Quantock at Lloydminster. I was up at there Bull Sale on Saturday and I think that they had a very impressive set of Hereford Bulls.

I would suggest going by the Harveys. They have some really nice Herefords and are not to far North of Calgary.

Ya I have been to Hill 70. I liked Bill's bulls but missed his sale last year and didnt get up there to see them this year. What is the name of Harvey's outfit?

In regards to Bar Pipe Cows, I think they are basically Kallal cows that Doug Finseth brought with him. I think they they may have some longevity and decent feet but as far as frame goes I think they have gotten too BIG. In my mind the frame size has been the problem with to many of the southern alberta hereford breeders.

We were out to Doug's about two weeks ago to check out the bulls. He has a nice set there and a few still available. Certainly worth the trip for us as we picked out four to bring home. They have a beautiful place there in Okotoks.

jillaroo":1bmuld4f said:
We were out to Doug's about two weeks ago to check out the bulls. He has a nice set there and a few still available. Certainly worth the trip for us as we picked out four to bring home. They have a beautiful place there in Okotoks.

Did they happen to still have 95W in the pen? He was my pick out of their bulls this year. :cowboy:

Aaron":vkwwvfm3 said:
Did they happen to still have 95W in the pen? He was my pick out of their bulls this year.
Yes they did. In fact, he'll be coming to our place in the spring along with 5W, 70W and 85W. :D

If you are going to be in the Calgary area consider looking at Coulee Crest and CGD Herefords in Bowden.

Well I just got back from my fact finding mission. For the most part I was impressed, but most of the cattle were too large of frame for me, but I did find a few bulls that would work.
Went to Brost's first and found one bull that I liked, that was moderate enough for me. What most impressed me was his Polled herefords. They arent like any polled cattle I have ever seen. They were thick, had lots of hair, and were like cookie cutter bulls. Anyone looking to put polled bulls on their horned cows or just use some polled bulls should check out Brost's.
Went to Bar Pipe there next, beautiful spot they have there. I didnt expect to find what I did there. The cows were moderate for the most part, but the old Bar Pipe cows were still pretty big. Out of the bulls that were left I found 2 bulls there that were moderate enough for me and were good thick bulls.
Next morning I went to Church's and there cows fit in with our herd pretty well. Again there were some cows and bulls that are gonna be too big of frame, but I was really impressed with their tan calves they have on feed and their hereford heifer calves. Found one bull at Church's that was exactly what I wanted, but the cow had lost the elasticity in her bag and it was starting to drop, do some of you guys not see that as a problem? She was a Blume cow.
Went to MN Herefords next, and there were some good bulls there, but way too framey for me. I'm sure they will work for someone else, but not for what I am looking for. Found one good moderate bull who was dark red and really thick, and was out of a good moderate cow.
Next was YV Ranch. Nels had one bull in the herd bull pen that his kids were using for club calves that I want to buy. He was moderate and thick as hell, but Nels figured he was too small. Other than that herd bull I didnt find what I was looking for at YV, but one hell of a set of cows. Good feet and probably the best udders I saw on my trip.
Rob Nixdorff was next, cows were pretty much the same as his brothers, but again didnt find what I was looking for.
Next day I went to Stauffer's @ Eckville. They were the best bulls I saw for what we are looking for, but some were pretty leggy. The bulls going to Calgary were in pretty good shape, but I was more impressed with the Private treaty bulls. Found two bulls in the private treaty pen and 1 bull in the Calgary pen that will work for us. Cows were good moderate framed cows with good feet and udders for the most part. Murray toured me around their feedlot and through their cows and over to his home place and was really blunt and honest. I think Stauffer's will be where I intend to get a few bulls from.

It seemed alot of these guys have really good herds, cows looked great and were good hereford cows. All of em were very nice, and honest and gave me their opinions on their own cattle and others. One thing that bothered me with all of the breeders though, was that all of them claim good udders and good feet and I didnt see that being consistent in every herd. It seemed it was hit and miss with feet, some cows had toes curling and long back feet, some cows had big sausage teets or bags were starting to fall. I was glad to hear that most of these guys dont touch any of their cows feet, but all claimed to be culling hard for that and I could have culled every herd of a number of cows. I found some bulls in almost every herd that would work, and I'm sure all the other bulls would work for someone else. From what I saw YV ranch had some of the best udders, but overall I am gonna say Stauffer's have the most moderate framed cows, that fit into what we are trying to do. They had the best feet for the most part, and the best bags for the most part.
All in all it was a good trip. Gotta head south of my place to Triple A Herefords next week, and then to a few other guys around Saskatchewan.

Latest posts