Hereford hair

Help Support CattleToday:

wocattle

Reaction score
Spring 04 we bought 3 Hereford heifers, all 3 came out of show strings (alot of hair). This spring they have calved, 1 has slicked off and 2 have not. We have dewormed twice, once with Ivomec Inj. and followed that with Safeguard paste (about 35 days between treatments). Two of these are still holding on to the hair, any suggestions.

Accept that some cows just don;t slick out. We have cows that have never slicked out and others that get as shiny as a new penny. Seems like it runs along family lines. I think it has to do with tolerences to forages and how well the animal assimilates minerals, forage, etc.

dun

dun":3j3eif6e said:
Accept that some cows just don;t slick out. We have cows that have never slicked out and others that get as shiny as a new penny. Seems like it runs along family lines. I think it has to do with tolerences to forages and how well the animal assimilates minerals, forage, etc.dun

That's why he's the guru!

dun":2gokjoe4 said:
Accept that some cows just don;t slick out. We have cows that have never slicked out and others that get as shiny as a new penny. Seems like it runs along family lines. I think it has to do with tolerences to forages and how well the animal assimilates minerals, forage, etc.

dun

This is correct as Dun stated and your worrying about nothing, I have one line just never gets as slick and pretty as the others, but I am selling beef not hair.

I see you're from Tennessee so I reckon there's a chance that you've got endophyte infected fescue. If that's the case, that could be part of the problem. Sometimes cows grazing fescue don't slick off as well as cows grazing some other forage. That goes back to what Dun told you about the way some cows respond to certain forages. BTW, you're extension agent can tell you how to send a sample of your grass to have it tested for toxicity.
J. T.

Don't worry...four of our Herefords stay hairy all year round, they just have longer thicker hair than the others. The Angus and Baldies slick out in late spring as do some Herefords. Of course we have a baldy heifer that has a thick coat so I just don't know...haven't given it much thiought. Just take a look at the folks in a sale barn, some pretty hairy fellas and some not. I think cattle are alot like that, I'd worry about a slick Galloway.

the only issue i have with the hair on the animals metioned is because they are the only 2 showing signs of heat stress, (heat index today of 104)

Buyers buying for northern lots usually pay a higher price for those long hair cattle.

WO I live so close to you I could chuck a rock at you. Mine were panting up a storm yesterday. Make sure they have plenty of water and somewhere to find shade. Most of mine spent the day down by the river yesterday. Not much more you can do. They will be OK. Listen to Dun about them slicking off. Some do and some don't.

wocattle":2qf2loph said:
the only issue i have with the hair on the animals metioned is because they are the only 2 showing signs of heat stress, (heat index today of 104)
Slick hair is the quickest test for fescue tolerance there is. Those long hair cattle work fine under the show barn fan - but put them under real world conditions, on fescue, and add a little heat and humidity - You will not like their calves at weaning. Better find them a home this winter and re-invest is some slick hair. It amazes people, but you can walk into a strangers herd and pick out his best (and worst) producing cows by looking at hair only.

Larry Sansom":3c5f4r04 said:
It amazes people, but you can walk into a strangers herd and pick out his best (and worst) producing cows by looking at hair only.
Hog wash.

ollie":qrsgunn7 said:
Larry Sansom":qrsgunn7 said:
It amazes people, but you can walk into a strangers herd and pick out his best (and worst) producing cows by looking at hair only.
Hog wash.
Spend a little time "looking" at your cows rather than just gazing at them - I can tell if they are bred by looking at the hair, also can tell the sex of the calf by the hair (hint- look at the hair on the tail). Sure gives you an advantage when buying and selling. Not perfect - but Very High %. Less time on the computer and more with cows and knowledgeable cattle people pays dividends.

Larry Sansom":1dkawtob said:
Less time on the computer and more with cows and knowledgeable cattle people pays dividends.
Larry, I don't know enough about you to draw a conclusion about you or your cattle. I also know that ollie doesn't need me to jump in, in his defence. But, I know enough about ollie to know that he is a very knowledgeable cattleman, with quality cattle. And happens to give excellent advise here on the forum.

Larry, please fill us in this "no palpation needed" method of preg checking. How far along do they have to be? I can bump a calf w/o reaching her at almost 5 months. Which way does the hair turn if she is bred?

Larry your barking up the wrong tree. I have traveled with your grazing mentors. I know the arguments better than you. I have heard the seminars directly from their mouth while in motel rooms or at dinner tables. Call the Padlock Ranch . Tell them you can not only tell them which cows are bred but you can sex the offspring and tell them which will raise the biggest calf . They will laugh you off the phone. Then dial up the King. After they tell you your full of hot air call the Deseret.Turn around and call the Pitchfork, Circle A, Braseco, they will all tell you that they use ultrasound for their pregnancy detection and scales to find out which cows raise the heaviest calves. If I am so stupid I am in good company.

Ollie, You can tell something about cattle by looking at their hair. Most of the time if the wind is blowing out of the north and its 3 days before a full moon I can usually tell what color they are about 70 percent of the time.

I have to agree with Ollie, body condition and a few other things I can tell from hair. But what is the differance in a bred one and open ones hair ?

Bama":3rua4paw said:
Ollie, You can tell something about cattle by looking at their hair. Most of the time if the wind is blowing out of the north and its 3 days before a full moon I can usually tell what color they are about 70 percent of the time.

I have to agree with Ollie, body condition and a few other things I can tell from hair. But what is the differance in a bred one and open ones hair ?

Old folks used to say that hair standing up along the backbone was a sign of pregnancy.

MikeC":9lx7uc9d said:
Old folks used to say that hair standing up along the backbone was a sign of pregnancy.
:lol: Yep, cause the bull was just there and frazzled her hair a bit :lol:

ollie":1doq7qzx said:
Larry your barking up the wrong tree. I have traveled with your grazing mentors. I know the arguments better than you. I have heard the seminars directly from their mouth while in motel rooms or at dinner tables. Call the Padlock Ranch . Tell them you can not only tell them which cows are bred but you can sex the offspring and tell them which will raise the biggest calf . They will laugh you off the phone. Then dial up the King. After they tell you your full of hot air call the Deseret.Turn around and call the Pitchfork, Circle A, Braseco, they will all tell you that they use ultrasound for their pregnancy detection and scales to find out which cows raise the heaviest calves. If I am so stupid I am in good company.

Whew....slam!.... :lol: :shock:

certherfbeef":fl5q9vr9 said:
MikeC":fl5q9vr9 said:
:lol: Yep, cause the bull was just there and frazzled her hair a bit :lol:
Exactly the smart ass remarks that put over 1300 times it takes to make a guru. Yes, after you bump or sleeve them - look at the hair on the top line. Next year you will not waste so much time & money and will have an unfair advantage at the next cow sale. Check the cows hair on the tail from switch to vulva area - write down if the hair is up or down - next calf crop you will amaze even yourself. Hair around pituitary gland should also be observed. Biggest calf ??- just take last 2 years weaning records into the field and look at the hair coat of the top and bottom cows - not hard to proove and if you are in Fescue country you better do this or get ready to suffer from lack of information. Glad it is hot in KY - have more time to play on computer.

Jan Bonsma would be proud of you Larry. I bet he would use an ultrasound machine though and be right all the time and he could do it with a cow 30 days bred. His trademark saying was man must measure. Why do his diciples insist on wives tales and fables to gather data?

Latest posts