hereford calf weight gain

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
question for hereford breeders and anyone else that cares to reply.

does anyone keep records of average daily weight gain for the first 6 months. what would you expect the average gain to be in llbs.
just weighed some calves which were sired by an average bull and they averaged 2.54 llbs per day. just woundered how far off the mark they are.

Registered Angus:
heifers: 205 adj ww - 2.45,2.68,2.21,2.95,2.83,2.83 avg-2.658
bulls: 205 day adj ww- 2.99,3.17,2.83,2.79,2.78,2.59 avg-2.858

Angus x:
heifers: 205 adj ww - 2.44,2.68,2.86,2.54 avg-2.63
steers: 205 day adj ww - 2.88,2.64 avg-2.76

Valerie

how much creep do they get.

mine get a bucket between 7 of them. just a taster realy. could give them more but puts costs up. they are still suckling from mother and i plan to feed them more when they come in for winter. aim to sell them as yearlings

The ones out in the pasture from this spring born March,April 2010. Just started giving them controlled creep about 2 weeks ago. The 12 calves started with 1lb per head a day for a week or so and now up to 3lbs per head. Feed is about 9 cents per lb delivered. 12% protein and high fiber not high energy. Will be eating between 10 an 15lbs when weaned. Bulls will then get 20lbs and heifers 5-8 lbs depending on weight.
Valerie

I just lumped steers and heifers for all previous years together.
Low 2.15 high 3.13 avg 2.5792. Pasture and mothers milk

205 day weights average around 660 on the heifers this year. Haven't figured out the weights on the Bulls and steers yet. They are on creep now They went on creep around 150 days on average. Couldn't tell you how much they are eating as they are running in a pasture with my brothers and he is supplying the oats this year. We alternate supplying the oats from year to year. It's just simpler that way. Cows average between 1400 and 1500 lbs. Breed them all Simmental. The cross breed solution.

Just purchased a Gelbvieh bull right off of his mother. ADG 3.26 BW 80 lbs WW 750.

NO CREEP just momma's milk and that good Kansas grass.

ADG for suckling calves are too closely related to the environment to even try and give an answer, but you're in the right ballpark.

I'm assuming these weight gains are without the help of growth hormones? For comparison sake what would the ADG be when using growth hormones?

alisonb":98nui7pg said:
I'm assuming these weight gains are without the help of growth hormones? For comparison sake what would the ADG be when using growth hormones?

I haven't used Ralgro or something similar in 10+ years and then I sold all the calves and never had a control group to make any usefull conclusions.

On my angus heifers they averaged 2.34, no creep. I expect this latest set of heifers to do better. I'm ashamed to say what the bulls were, the heifers beat them. :lol2: By a mile I might add, of course there was a pud in there. :cry2: Those bulls taste good though. :nod:

Latest posts