Hereford bully

Help Support CattleToday:

Up in the air.
The bull I was looking at, sold. He will probly go another season here the way things are with the drought and what not. He's a good boy. Was just gonna try something different
I'll be curious how your black baldies grow and sell. Listening to Warren on a separate thread has me thinking hard at putting a Hereford on my black brangus instead of char this next spring. This years crop might be my best calves to day but I sold a few at high 5 wt and thought maybe docked a little for grey? Only have 100 acres so looking to max profit with what I have as I work to retirement.

I'll be curious how your black baldies grow and sell. Listening to Warren on a separate thread has me thinking hard at putting a Hereford on my black brangus instead of char this next spring. This years crop might be my best calves to day but I sold a few at high 5 wt and thought maybe docked a little for grey? Only have 100 acres so looking to max profit with what I have as I work to retirement.

Trying to find the other thread. These were all pulled a lil early.
I sold another group too. Just gotta find where I posted it

According to what you want the calves for and what part of the country you are in, the Heredford/Brangus cross will make some darn good replacement heifers. I bought six of these when I first built up my herd and still have a lot of their offspring. They do very well on my crappy land here in central Texas. They throw calves with a little ear but not enough to get docked if bred back to Angus or in my case Limo.

According to what you want the calves for and what part of the country you are in, the Heredford/Brangus cross will make some darn good replacement heifers. I bought six of these when I first built up my herd and still have a lot of their offspring. They do very well on my crappy land here in central Texas. They throw calves with a little ear but not enough to get docked if bred back to Angus or in my case Limo.
Good information and thank you bird dog. I'm on good land, fair grass and 30+ acres that I plant winter grazing and milo summer for hay. I've actually cut 40% of cows this year from drought so want to maximize cows I have. Think I'll be in the market for a Hereford. Should work on my brangus as well as my char/brangus cross heifers I have retained.

There is a guy around here that uses registered homozygous for black and polled, Black Hereford bulls on his Brangus and Braford cows. Never had a red calf since. A little ear doesn't hurt at all around here. In fact, Brangus X Hereford, or Angus x Braford black baldy calves will sell for as much as, or maybe a little more, than Angus X Hereford. As far as replacements go, the Black Hereford x Brangus heifers are homozygous for black. The BH x Brafords will be heterozygous for black, but breed them to a black bull and they gonna always throw black calves. Of course, it is widely recognized that the best f! cross for maximum " high bread vinegar" is Hereford x Brahma. and you breed those f1s to Angus, and the heterosis in this 2nd generation is nearly as good. Met a guy when I was putting together that Braford herd for a client, that bred f1 Brafords to Ultrablack and black Simm bulls. He weaned at 6 mos, and never had even a heifer that didn't exceed 500 lbs at weaning.

I don't believe anyone could go wrong running f1 Brafords, and raising black baldies off of them. You can adjust the amount of ear on them by using pure Angus or homozygous for black Simms, Lims or Simm-Angus bulls. For a little more bit of ear, use Ultrablacks, and for the same amount of ear use Brangus.

There is a guy around here that uses registered homozygous for black and polled, Black Hereford bulls on his Brangus and Braford cows. Never had a red calf since. A little ear doesn't hurt at all around here. In fact, Brangus X Hereford, or Angus x Braford black baldy calves will sell for as much as, or maybe a little more, than Angus X Hereford. As far as replacements go, the Black Hereford x Brangus heifers are homozygous for black. The BH x Brafords will be heterozygous for black, but breed them to a black bull and they gonna always throw black calves. Of course, it is widely recognized that the best f! cross for maximum " high bread vinegar" is Hereford x Brahma. and you breed those f1s to Angus, and the heterosis in this 2nd generation is nearly as good. Met a guy when I was putting together that Braford herd for a client, that bred f1 Brafords to Ultrablack and black Simm bulls. He weaned at 6 mos, and never had even a heifer that didn't exceed 500 lbs at weaning.

I don't believe anyone could go wrong running f1 Brafords, and raising black baldies off of them. You can adjust the amount of ear on them by using pure Angus or homozygous for black Simms, Lims or Simm-Angus bulls. For a little more bit of ear, use Ultrablacks, and for the same amount of ear use Brangus.
Thanks Warren you are a wealth of knowledge that I need to learn. First up is my understanding of ultrablack

Black baldies almost always sell good around here. Even the red baldies I sold from my last group did better than I thought they would. The quality was just there! There was not a BAD calf in the bunch. Just some a lil "different" from mutt/mix cows.

I like the ultrablack bulls. But I find a group of all black calves too boring. With the hereford bull, at least I get a some variation in the amount of white on the faces usually. Makes each calf unique but still similar in quality with good cows.

Here we go.
Got 2 tagged today.
The red bull is banded now too. He's a stout, stocky lil dude! Heifer ain't bad either!
20221023_120639.jpg20221023_120628.jpg20221023_112601.jpg20221023_112558.jpg20221023_112441.jpg
Didn't get a pic of the full hereford calf. I thought it was bull. But it ain't. It's a decent lil heifer.

And mercy me, Nova Lee!
U gonna done move up 2 months!!!
Shes a pretty dang nice lil cow really. Her and Texas are 2 of my favorites.
20221023_113134.jpg

Last edited:
Yep!
Nova Lee did it. Nice Bull calf. He's now a steer and tagged. 3rd calf for her. She's moved up with everyone else and does a great job! She's a keeper! The type I want to move more towards.
This calf has no socks this time. I like it!
Got some more coming. 3 more I guess.

When ya sell 4 of 10, it takes longer for a bag of cubes to disappear too....
20221028_125344.jpg20221028_124157.jpg20221028_125336.jpg

It's Christmas Eve!!
Moved Big Sexy to his winter pasture with the ladies.
As usual, he wasted NO time!
Off the trailer for about 15 minutes and right to work. That's my boy!!
View attachment 24141View attachment 24142View attachment 24143
View attachment 24144
Going to be awesome to see the calves next fall! We had 2 yellow white faces this year and would have liked to have kept em but banker needs to stay happy.hehe
Also, i wonder if u could hav waited until tomorrow to move him to give an excuse to get outa the house?😜 mine is going to be i hav to put hay before it gets dark.🤪
Screenshots_2022-12-24-22-41-58.png

Going to be awesome to see the calves next fall! We had 2 yellow white faces this year and would have liked to have kept em but banker needs to stay happy.hehe
Also, i wonder if u could hav waited until tomorrow to move him to give an excuse to get outa the house?😜 mine is going to be i hav to put hay before it gets dark.🤪
View attachment 24160
I really like a yellow baldie! Especially when they are all new and clean and soooo white white.

I wanted to move him last weekend, but as usual, couldn't make it happen.

@crossbreed

Here we are 4 or 5 months in...
Got a couple quick snaps. Nothing special.
I was over there doing some other stuff and happened to snap these while I was there. They grow good!
20230305_144855.jpg20230305_144849.jpg20230305_144838.jpg20230305_144825.jpg
While I was there Big Sexy was showing off. This guy!!
Always poking fun at the gurlz.
Hope they take it serious!
20230305_144111.jpg20230305_144109.jpg20230305_144108.jpg

Latest posts