Hereford Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

CosgrayHerefords

Reaction score
Sitting down looking at the herd records I started thinking about breeding plans for this upcoming year. I have identified bulls I will be using in my five year plan and I would like feedback on anyones experience with these bulls. I already have semen on three of the bulls on my list; CRR About Time 743, SHF Rib Eye M326 R117, and AA PRF Wideload. Here are the bulls I have chosen to enhance and take my program to where I want it to be. I am striving for deep ribbed, long spined females with sound feet, sound functional udders, wide tops, and fertility. I will be AIing 7 cows and naturally breeding 8 cows and 3 heifers. The herd bulls I am choosing from using are a Remitall Online son I have posted on here before, I used him on 10 cows this past year, a WLB Eli 10H 83T yearling son who has exceeded my expectations so far, or a Harvie Raftsman 16R son we recently purchased. Here are the AI bulls: TH SHR 605 57G Bismarck 243R ET, Harvie Dan T-Bone 196T, KJ HVH 33N Redeem 485T ET, UPS Domino 3027, MH Monument 3147, THM Durango 4037, TH 75J 243R Bailout 144U ET, Golden Oak Outcross 18U, CRR Helton 980, Star TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET, KJ 2403 Recruit 966R, Churchill Rancher 592R, Churchill Sensation 028X
I will be using 2 of these bulls on the 7 cows so I will have three sire groups represented.

The only problem I see with your list of bulls is you really have alot of different types listed.

In my opinion that can lead to inconsistency.

Would it be better to just pick a bull that will improve your cows in the area you are most concerned about rather than throwing a bunch of bulls, representing different phenotypes from differing programs, into that mix?

thats quiet a list of bulls i see some of those bulls have calves at the test station maybe you should go down there and look them over aa has a good program they have put a lot of work into it over the years and it shows maybe talk to them i am sure what kind of cows you now have will have a big impact on how these bulls would work for you ps where is idaville i live between connersville and new castle David

Idaville is between Monticello and Logansport about 7 miles north of 24. We have dealt with Able Acres for many years and that is where our three herd bulls I mentioned came from. I have discussed these bulls with them as well but they only have experience with about half of the bulls on my list.

You've got more bulls on your list than cows to be bred!

Everyone started out sometime and most of us, including myself, made the same mistake in thinking you can match every cow with a bull to address specific areas to improve on with the luxury of AI. In reality all you'll end up with is a bunch of calves that are all different types making selection on who to retain anybody's guess.

I'd rather pick two bulls of the type you want your herd to go to, but with SLIGHTLY different areas of strength and use just the two of them, then you'll get to a consistant type much quicker, you'll have more representative contemporary groups and to the potential client it will look like you have a consistant plan and that you are working towards an attainable goal.

I guess what I was thinking and what I was writing were two different things ha. I am only using two of these bulls to breed this year. My goal is AI my whole herd to two or three different bulls for three years, I'm leaning heavily towards Harvie Dan T-Bone 196T, TH SHR 605 57G Bismarck 243R ET, and UPS Domino 3027. This year I will not have the time to AI everything my self so I have picked out my best producing cows to AI and will AI everything next year. Then I pick out a couple more and breed the whole herd to them and so on. I have picked these bulls out to use and/or keep a close eye on to see what they are throwing.

CosgrayHerefords" This year I will not have the time to AI everything my self so I have picked out my best producing cows to AI and will AI everything next year.[/quote said:
Why couldn't you use an AI synchronization method of some sort and do the whole group at once? It shouldn't take much more time to do them all if their in heat at the same time. AI then send them out with the bull. Maybe it won't work for you but that is what I do.

I can't justify spending the money on CIDR's and lut I would rather spend that money on semen so I am going with natural heat detection.

CosgrayHerefords":1zl3rz0t said:
I can't justify spending the money on CIDR's and lut I would rather spend that money on semen so I am going with natural heat detection.

You cant afford not too use a synch protocol. I see from your profile you have an off farm job as I do, and several hobbies as well!!! for approx $20 (the same price as the least expensive semen of the 3 you have narrowed down) you can set your cows up and get them done in less than an hour. achieve 80+% preg. rate and be on your way doing something else. You will spend hours watching cows then sorting off 1 or 2 at a time and even the best miss some or worse yet mis-diagnose and thats wasted semen. and another cycle later. not trying to be a smarta$$, as I am impressed with your list of prospects, I own a breeding share in 1 you listed, another breeding share in a son and a grand son of 2 more you listed, & have calves coming in a couple weeks from another you have listed.
Just rethink using a synch protocol and good luck to you!!
L Day

80% might be stretching it a bit.

I also agree that you should use a synch protocol. I really dont think you would be out that much. Instead of buying semen on two bulls just buy the one and use the money on the synch. I know it isnt really what you want to do. Just something to think about.

DFF I do have an off farm job and many hobbies however my cattle are self sustaining. The only money I spend on cattle come directly what they provide. That is why I can't justify spending the money on Syncing them.

JHH, I am not buying semen on all of those bulls this year, I am buying semen on just two bulls and using those bulls.

DFF what are the bulls you have an interest in and what experience have you had with them?

JHH":1za2qvjm said:
80% might be stretching it a bit.

I also agree that you should use a synch protocol. I really dont think you would be out that much. Instead of buying semen on two bulls just buy the one and use the money on the synch. I know it isnt really what you want to do. Just something to think about.
If cows are in proper condition, are easily handling/docile, top quality semen,synch protocol followed correctly, and proper placement of semen heck 80% might be low. L Day

Latest posts