Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

nortexsoook":2nvxnk7i said:
Most of you know me as the "board jerk". I would never want to kill a young cattleman's spirit, however. I guess I am more sickened by the yokels who pass these sub-sub par animals off on any stockman, much less a beginner.

As for the young man in the picture, like others say, make do with an eye toward exchanging him for a better bull ASAP.

For once, I have to agree with you.

Feed is expensive, pouring enough feed into that bull to get him where we is in good enough condition to descide conclusively that the bull is not good enough to show would cost 60 days and $100+++. I would not have showed that bull to a commercial cattleman with ten cows who wasn't going to pay $1200. That somebody sold it to a kid 'to show' is mind boggling. I hope the heifers are a lot better than the bull.

I think its great that your son is starting his own herd.

I am starting my Hereford herd, so I think I'll chime in here.

Last November I bought a Bred Heifer from a local farm. They were really nice, and before I even bought the heifer the terms were that he would help with me in rebreeding her in the Spring. Maybe your son could make a connection with someone like that.

What are his plans and goals? You don't need me to tell you that this bull won't make your goals, but maybe you could lease a bull from a breeder in your area- or AI is a for sure thing.

Bez's post was excellent- definitly SHOW THE BULL! I hope in 30 years I can look back on the cow I have now and know that she's not that great, but she was a start and put me in the right direction.

Good Luck

If showing cattle is anything like showing horses, its stiff competition and you have to compete with folks that have money compared to those that don't and one has to pay their "dues" so to speak.

While I wish the young man good luck, I think he's going to be very discouraged with this bull. I've seen salebarn hereford look better (and some worse).

ShowMom...

Please post a photo from the best direction...such as one that makes the bull look best. Say take 100 digital photos, critique the photos, then throw away 99 of them. Post the one remaining. Then allow the insulting crew to pay the price since their negative comments are documented.

Secondly, please provide some breeding info like the sire and the dam's sire, etc.

Even if all the negative posters are correct by only one photo (and they may be...maybe they have ESP like Edgar Casey), all animals become valuable at the right price. Since you didn't disclose the price you paid, the bull may be the best purchase of a lifetime and noone knows it except your small group.

Thanks.

Man! I wish I had a pic of my first bull, one I bought from a neighbor :shock: :shock: in 1972. Makes yours look like a show bull :D
It all worked out just fine. 8)

Bez>":2kux8lbl said:
Been watching this one for a bit.

There has been a lot of beaching about poor quality and a few personal shots thrown in for good measure.....

I say the following:

1. Raise that bull.
2. Show that bull.
3. Use him for one season on some cows.
4. Call it an experiment.

I have seen a few "not so pretties" that actually do fairly well.

I applaud this kid for a couple of things.

1. This bull is not hungry and,

2. It is well mannered.

I applaud the family - frankie - your comment about a keeper is well taken - as per some females standing over my shoulder as I write.

I close with the following.

All you who criticize have seen some absolute crap claimed to be God's gift to breeders. Some of it claimed to worthy of papers if only because it was purebred.

I would bet you a buck a few who criticize have worse in the field.

This bull may surprize some folks - who knows?

Go for it kid - I started off with far worse and have managed to improve with time - you stick to it - so will you.

Bez>

Bez, you rock! ;-)

showmomof2":33ftlhnw said:
Thanks, drumrunner. I have learned my lesson-off to another board.

Don't let a few bad apples run you off.

While your bull may not be the best in the world, you (a) own him, (b) seem to be taking care of him, and (c) your son is having fun/learning something in the process. Take the time to learn what's good/bad about your bull and upgrade in the future, we're not all born (self-proclaimed) geniusses as some would like to pretend.

Bez has to be one of the most well-spoken, to-the-point users of the English language I've ever come across. Take his advice.

cfpinz

nortexsoook":5gzqjs1a said:
Why ask a question if your not prepared for the answer?

That bull is ugly a sin. No way to sugar coat it, and like thaey say with friends who will sell you a bull like that, who needs enemies?

I guess, your from the "lets don't keep score school"? "We're all winners", "everybody gets a ribbon", "can't hurt little timmiy's feelings"

Don't post a picture if you don't want an honest opinion!
It's not about being prepared for the answer. Its about getting an honest answer with out someone being rude and uncalled for. Other people let her know the bull is not show quality without being a jackass about it. Do you feel better about yourself for being this way?

get that bull on some awsome feed. your son is out there workin and startin his own herd. thats alot more then what alot of kids can say. im findin nothing wrong here. how old is he like 16?? unless he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth theres no way he's gonna be able to get a bull thats worth thousands of dollars. alot of adults cant even afford them. that bull and your son look like they get along together real well. pump up the feed to that big boy and you'll be surprised about how he'll fill out yet. good luck! oh yeah, he picked a good breed too! ;-)

I've been following the board for about three years now, and yes while Nortexsoook may be the current jerk of the board, (his claim) what would this board be if everyone was of the "what a cute calf" crowd. His comments may be in your face and often considered rude by polite society, but he is usually right on the mark. Don't like his bedside manner, dont hire him as your doctor.

I applaud the young man for his efforts but he wasn't the one who asked for input. Further, no matter what angle you photograph this young bull at he isn't going to look any better. The further you move behind him the worse it's gonna get. I also have a problem that a "friend" sold this should have been a steer as a show prospect. Who is the real jerk?

A couple of years ago Caustic warned of the folly of folks posting pictures on here and not getting the response they had hoped for. The same has been repeated by others time and time again. Some of the most respected posters on this board have come across pretty brutal at times as well, and there are a few on here who have posted some of the most outlandish comments as fact and seem to get a free pass. I have a bigger problem with beginners being fed nonsense, then in your face responses.

I hope this proud mom stays on the board and takes "all" comments with a grain of salt.

I guess some people, allthough well intended im sure, have forgotten about the showmanship class. Further, it doesnt really matter if the bull is a winner or not, your son will gain valuable experience he can utilize in the future.

Bar K":1fz6wljw said:
I've been following the board for about three years now, and yes while Nortexsoook may be the current jerk of the board, (his claim) what would this board be if everyone was of the "what a cute calf" crowd. His comments may be in your face and often considered rude by polite society, but he is usually right on the mark. Don't like his bedside manner, dont hire him as your doctor.

I applaud the young man for his efforts but he wasn't the one who asked for input. Further, no matter what angle you photograph this young bull at he isn't going to look any better. The further you move behind him the worse it's gonna get. I also have a problem that a "friend" sold this should have been a steer as a show prospect. Who is the real jerk?

A couple of years ago Caustic warned of the folly of folks posting pictures on here and not getting the response they had hoped for. The same has been repeated by others time and time again. Some of the most respected posters on this board have come across pretty brutal at times as well, and there are a few on here who have posted some of the most outlandish comments as fact and seem to get a free pass. I have a bigger problem with beginners being fed nonsense, then in your face responses.

I hope this proud mom stays on the board and takes "all" comments with a grain of salt.
It aint the fact he dont like the bull. he11 i dont like him either but dont call folks dumb or ignorant.

ALACOWMAN":1m6t9b3q said:
Bar K":1m6t9b3q said:

It aint the fact he dont like the bull. he11 i dont like him either but dont call folks dumb or ignorant.

Exactly - It wasnt the answer that was the problem it was the way it was answered. You dont have to say something nice to be nice.

This is totally against what I feel but showing is different than Regular ranching so why not feed him and see what he turns out like.I bet that if you pumped some high protein grain to that bull he'll be ok for show but I wouldn't use him for breeding stock

I applaud his inititiative for buying the cows himself. This and learning is to me what showing should be about. To me, earning an award is much more prized than buying one and in my opinion, you already are in the winning circle. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bar K":1im1ix3q said:

Bar K Time to come out and show some pics.

Great post Bez. The bull may not win. So what! The young man will learn alot about the show competition and will become a better competitor at his next show. A showmanship First place belt Buckle is a fine trophy.
R.T.

mnmtranching":2fqykdup said:
Bar K":2fqykdup said:

Bar K Time to come out and show some pics.

Why? Which part of my comment did you not understand. Were you offended that I defended the offensive's right to speak out? I've been in and out of the cattle business for a long time, in last year out this year and I've never taken pictures of my or anyone else's livestock. If you choose to I have not problem with that. Does that make me a fraud, a pretender or a know nothing in your mind? Do I need to clear all posts with you before I express my opinion?

Latest posts