Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
100_1917.JPG
My son just bought some hereford heifers and a bull. He's showing the heifers and probably this bull. What do you think of him. He's 15 months old.

He looks pretty feminine. I defintley have seen better looking hereford bulls, especially ones that are 15 months old. No offense of course. I have friends that raise hereford, and Im sure hereford breeders on here will tell you you could find better stock than him. Castrate that sucker and send him to the market. But that is me

I agree that this bull is not the best I've seen, nor is it the best that this young man might have been able to purchase. However, instead of hammering him on his lack of knowledge perhaps, maybe we should be a little more encouraging. As I look back over the years, I can see poor decisions that I made in purchasing cattle, some more poor than others. After making those decisions, I don't recall anyone blasting me on my stupidity, no they encouraged me and told me what I could have done to make a better choice. You must also realize that this young man may not be a multi-millionaire and maybe this is where he will start. I think after some years, of choices both good and not so good, this young man will be successful. Good luck in the future! Get in your minds eye what you want your cattle to look like and don't purchase anything less.

farmwife":qmilxcit said:
I agree that this bull is not the best I've seen, nor is it the best that this young man might have been able to purchase. However, instead of hammering him on his lack of knowledge perhaps, maybe we should be a little more encouraging. As I look back over the years, I can see poor decisions that I made in purchasing cattle, some more poor than others. After making those decisions, I don't recall anyone blasting me on my stupidity, no they encouraged me and told me what I could have done to make a better choice. You must also realize that this young man may not be a multi-millionaire and maybe this is where he will start. I think after some years, of choices both good and not so good, this young man will be successful. Good luck in the future! Get in your minds eye what you want your cattle to look like and don't purchase anything less.
good post . i would take the halter off and forget showing him. if he is all you can afford use him till you can do better.

farmwife":2ejmvret said:

Very good post.

One of the best parts of getting the cattle "bug" when you are young is watching your herd grow and develop through the years.

The young bull is green. Lacks many masculine traits. Might not even be big enough. It is hard to tell much from this picture about his leg set but he appears to have a crooked leg. Looks to have plenty of depth in the heart, however.
With then next bull purchase, improve on this one. Pick a bull that will compliment your cows and improve their faults.

You got a green young bull there. And not that good a pic.Worm him, get him on some good feed and post another pic in a few months. Some people look at condition as to the quality of the bull. No I don't think you should show him. With a couple hundred more pounds folks will like the way he looks a lot better.

Great successes often come from humble beginnings-I have a feeling that young fella won't let one not so perfect bull hold him back. I'd pass on showing him though-maybe A'I' and use him cleanup like Hereford-U'S suggested.

I have made some not so smart investments as well so dont fill alone we all have done it even if some will not admit to it all you can do is improve so thats the good thing I also agree with what others have been saying about the bull I dont know your situation but I would like to know what you told the person why you where buying the bull from I heard a saying you get what you payed for so If a person is selling for freezer beef dont expect to get a show champ but If you asked him to pick a show animal and he sold you this one then I would have to talk with him again
Good Luck

ALACOWMAN":1etkym4x said:
any time you can get a youngster out of the house and involved in something thats useful is a plus.
True enough, Cowman. I've learned my lesson about posting pics on this board. Guess showmom has too. :roll:

DrumRunner728":3mnku8lq said:
ALACOWMAN":3mnku8lq said:
any time you can get a youngster out of the house and involved in something thats useful is a plus.
True enough, Cowman. I've learned my lesson about posting pics on this board. Guess showmom has too. :roll:
well constructive criticism is one thing...but destructive is a whole dam nuther..

showmomof2":1i4h8zyl said:
100_1917.JPG
My son just bought some hereford heifers and a bull. He's showing the heifers and probably this bull. What do you think of him. He's 15 months old.

Sorry. I don't think much of the bull, but the kid seems to be a keeper. :D

Thank you for your opinions and the kind words by some. Granted this is not the best picture in the world I may get another one after he has been on full feed for awhile. We bought him from some good friends of ours mainly for the purpose of putting him on our commercial cows. The cows for the most part did not cross well with our angus bulls and we were tired of all of the rat tails we were getting. The heifers we have bought will probably be AI'd-we just have't gotten that far yet. The bull has not been on a show ration for long and we just brought him home the night before the picture was taken. If he shows him it will be at our county fair in 3 months. The decision will be made then. He doesn't have a crooked leg-it is the way he's standing.

showmomof2":2u969dqq said:
Thanks, drumrunner. I have learned my lesson-off to another board.

Please don't leave the board. I didn't let one or two idiots run me off. I figured I'd stick around and make 'em miserable. :p

Been watching this one for a bit.

There has been a lot of beaching about poor quality and a few personal shots thrown in for good measure.....

I say the following:

1. Raise that bull.
2. Show that bull.
3. Use him for one season on some cows.
4. Call it an experiment.

I have seen a few "not so pretties" that actually do fairly well.

I applaud this kid for a couple of things.

1. This bull is not hungry and,

2. It is well mannered.

I applaud the family - frankie - your comment about a keeper is well taken - as per some females standing over my shoulder as I write.

I close with the following.

All you who criticize have seen some absolute crap claimed to be God's gift to breeders. Some of it claimed to worthy of papers if only because it was purebred.

I would bet you a buck a few who criticize have worse in the field.

This bull may surprize some folks - who knows?

Go for it kid - I started off with far worse and have managed to improve with time - you stick to it - so will you.

Bez>

Latest posts