Hereford A.I Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

ellettfarms

Reaction score
I am looking to A.I a few of my cows to some a hereford bull what are some suggestions you guys may have on a good bull.

Your question is too broad of a question, in my opinion. Probably a few hundred bulls to choose from. What do you want in a bull, calving ease, material traits, carcuss traits, growth, etc.?

I was just wondering what peoples personal opinions on their favorite bull but I'm always looking at calving ease and something that is going to grow like a weed after it hits the ground.

The Felton Legend bull at Genex is one of the best Hereford bulls in the breed when looking at calving ease and growth. : :

Both Genex and ABS are getting an assortment of really good Hereford bulls together:

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index....arch_Sire.x=28&Search_Sire.y=8&action=RESULTS

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/hereford_ss_main.asp?

For calving ease plus growth, 719T from Genex is a good choice:

hp829vic719tsup.jpg

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1HP00829&lang=EN

George

George - Not my thread and hate to hyjack it - but of the ABS bulls which one would you pick for:
1) calving ease and growth (terminal)
2) replacement heifers

bigbluegrass":3cre9sal said:
George - Not my thread and hate to hyjack it - but of the ABS bulls which one would you pick for:
1) calving ease and growth (terminal)
2) replacement heifers

I think when you use the word "terminal" with a Hereford bull it's a stretch! But I would pick Harland as the best choice for the combination of calving ease and growth.

As far as replacement heifers go, I'm becoming more and more convinced that UPS Domino 3027 is the best female producer in the ABS Hereford lineup in most situations. He seems to produce females with thickness and volume that also mature into more moderate sized cows that won't eat you out of house and home. But Progress is a great choice as well - and he's polled.

George

Just on personal knowledge, I really like the progress daughter I have, lots of growth and thickness. I'm very impressed with with this years 3027 calves, although they are just a few months old, but lots of growth so far and developing width. They are head and shoulders above most of the calf crop. I like Rib Eye, but have never had a heifer to watch develope, but so far the steers taste great! Haven't had a Harland settle yet, not his fault just the luck of ..... Would love to have one though. Again my personal knowledge, I'm not impressed with World Class, or Online sons. M326 lines seem to do well for me, easy keepers.

Alan

For polled Herefords I think 719T would be about my first choice the Thor bull ABS has is a nice looking bull also. If you don't mind horns I agree Harland would be a good choice. I haven't seen any 3027 offspring. Accelerated Genetics has a couple good horned bulls. I know of some top breeders that have had good luck with the 175E bull they have. The Yankee bull ABS has is good too.

I was actually looking for a good hereford ai bull too. I like Progress from ABS. One question I have was if you breed a polled hereford cow to a horned bull what are the odds of the calf being horned? Then if you bred that calf back to a horned bull what would those offspring be??

John: The way it was explained to me - and someone with more knowledge may come in and explain it better.

If your polled cow is homo polled and bred to a horned bull - then the calf will be born without horns, but will carry a horned gene.

If your polled cow is hetro polled (meaning she already has a horned gene) and bred to a horned bull - then some of the offspring will have horns, not all of them. I think the percentage would be 50%.

Now if the resulting calf from the first option is bred to a horned bull, you will be at the second option.

If the resulting calf from the second option is bred to a horned bull, you will have a really good chance all the calves will have horns. (I think this is 75% likely for horns).

Latest posts