hereferd cattle price.....need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
I've come across a gentleman who is selling out all his cows....he has 3 6 yr old cows and 4 calves (1 set of twins) all hereferd.....I don't know anything about hereferds and was wanting some advice.....at today's prices do hereferds bring as much as black cattle? the cows have breed back every time (1st breed when they were 2 and have been on his farm since then) and to be honest look better than the angus cross cattle at the same farm.....the calves are running 300-400#'s and the bull is on site so they are probably breed back....I don't have any pics but I've been over several times and the cows are friendly and don't spoke and with a bucket they follow you around.....I'm planning on a black brangus bull for my cows and thought this might be a way to start some black baldies....what do y'all think? thank you for your time.....

I'm not well informed on what a cow as described above would bring and everything around here is black, black, black....I'm small time and trying to bring along my herd slowly (as limited $ allows but I'm allways looking for a good deal) so in my mind three hereferds would be a good addition I just don't want to pay to much for them and I'm by no means an expert so I'm looking to you guys for advice....thanks again

moloss":3rles9wf said:
I've come across a gentleman who is selling out all his cows....he has 3 6 yr old cows and 4 calves (1 set of twins) all hereferd.....I don't know anything about hereferds and was wanting some advice.....at today's prices do hereferds bring as much as black cattle? the cows have breed back every time (1st breed when they were 2 and have been on his farm since then) and to be honest look better than the angus cross cattle at the same farm.....the calves are running 300-400#'s and the bull is on site so they are probably breed back....I don't have any pics but I've been over several times and the cows are friendly and don't spoke and with a bucket they follow you around.....I'm planning on a black brangus bull for my cows and thought this might be a way to start some black baldies....what do y'all think? thank you for your time.....
If they are good cattle your plan is just fine. Black baldies are hard to beat. Got any pics?

Good 6 year old 3N1 is going to run around $2000 right now. Any less than that and you have found a deal.

I'm not color blind - so to me - a good cow is worth as much as any other GOOD COW - regardless of color.

Not to nitpick, but I think you are saying you are color blind. That is, the color doesn't matter. :cboy:

Well with y'alls advice and a trip to the sale barn I've decided to purchase the cows and calves.....I'll try to get some pics in the next few days and y'all can tell me how I did.....thanks.

moloss":loznlvms said:
Well with y'alls advice and a trip to the sale barn I've decided to purchase the cows and calves.....I'll try to get some pics in the next few days and y'all can tell me how I did.....thanks.

I always like a Hereford over any other breed just easy to work and they work.
There are other advantages to Herefords you can change you calf crop color to fit your area.
Bulls use a black one get a Black baldie Char high yellows red back to red baldies and you just changed the bull.
That said I despise Angus there is an Angus bull standing in my pasture on Hereford girls the heifers bring a premuim as replacements and the steers bring top dollar at the barn. Neighbor runs a Char on Hereford girls and does well and do those calfs grow. I don't like pallet headed Chars anger issues from my youth.

Caustic Burno":3nto408y said:
moloss":3nto408y said:

There are other advantages to Herefords you can change you calf crop color to fit your area.
Bulls use a black one get a Black baldie Char high yellows red back to red baldies and you just changed the bull.
That said I despise Angus there is an Angus bull standing in my pasture on Hereford girls the heifers bring a premuim as replacements and the steers bring top dollar at the barn. Neighbor runs a Char on Hereford girls and does well and do those calfs grow. I don't like pallet headed Chars anger issues from my youth.

Switch that Angus bull out with a good Brangus. Steers will weigh more and still bring top dollar and the females should be worth more in your part of the country.

bigag03":3p1tj109 said:
Caustic Burno":3p1tj109 said:
moloss":3p1tj109 said:

Switch that Angus bull out with a good Brangus. Steers will weigh more and still bring top dollar and the females should be worth more in your part of the country.

I agree I just couldn't find one that I liked. I have a few Brangus girls left hard to beat the breed.

the cows are worth $800 to $900 a pair.an they might bring more at the sale barn but who knows.

bigbull338":33baopfp said:
the cows are worth $800 to $900 a pair.an they might bring more at the sale barn but who knows.
That would have to be some sorry a$$ cows to bring 800-900 a pair right now.

I really like herefords but here in Central Texas they really don't sell well at all....cows, pairs or cows... most are really not that high quality and just seem to have a stigma attached to them. Turn'em black with bald face and add a little more frame and they sell like hotcakes.

you go the sale barn right now an youll most likely see a bunch oh of sorry cows bring a $1000 to $1300.an 2yrs ago those cows wouldnt bring $800.the last time i was at the sale barn i seen pairs bring $700 to $900 that were culls in my eyes.they was horned range cows,that was thin.

Isomade":obb33sa6 said:
bigbull338":obb33sa6 said:
That would have to be some sorry a$$ cows to bring 800-900 a pair right now.
another one to add to the top 100 dumb things he has said this week

a 650lb calf will bring around $900 but a cow/calf pair is only worth $8-$900 :bang: :bang:

watch who your calling dumb,because your so dumb you cant answer simple qs.ive prolly forgotten more than youve learned in your lifetime.i know this because ive sat back quietly an seen qs go unanswered here by you an others.you say i say dumb things becuse yiou cant answe ppls qs to try an make yourself feel better.every1 i deal with says ive got the common sense an knowlage that they wished they had.an these are not dumb people they are people that are smart.so dont come back with a wise crack because im done dealing with you.

Latest posts