Here I am with another ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
The first calf heifer that had the weak calf isn't producing much milk. Do you think she can produce next year or should she be sold now? We are supplementing the calf as of now.

I believe I'd have to ship her and use the money towards her replacement. Her milk production might go up a little with the next calf, but doesn't sound like it would be enough to raise a good calf if you are having to supplement this one.

I had one that did really poorly this year, and she's still here... I'm expecting a respectable performance from her next year though.. her sisters have all been great cows and this one is the lowest of the low in pecking order. Her calf didn't grow much since spring, but she's grown tremendously.. the other heifer that made a better calf got terribly run down by it and didn't grow much herself, so I'll see how her next calf looks too

Green Creek, I had one just like what your describing. And I tried her the second year. It was a mistake. She lost the first calf when it was a month old. Second one she was just barely keeping it alive. So, took to the sale barn and told them to sell them separate. BTW, she was the best looking heifer in the pen. :roll: B&G

dun":wes6g6ui said:
Black and Good":wes6g6ui said:
she was the best looking heifer in the pen. :roll: B&G
Kind of makes you sick doesn;t it

Sometimes you have to consider that there's a reason that they are the best lookin cow..........cuz they keep it all for themselves. My buddy had a whole family of those. Looked great and weaned the smallest calves every year. They don't live there any more.

Better late than never, she started bagging up yesterday evening and the calf wasn't interested in a bottle so it looks good so far. We have been graining the cow also.

Latest posts