Herding heifers with a drone

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
While it's not a "new" thing to use a drone to round up cattle, it was however, a new thing for me today.

Our water gap blew out after a storm and these three mischievous heifers decided to go sight seeing. I noticed them out the window of our home and said to myself "I'm going to have to get in the truck, or walk over there and get them back where they need to be.

Then like a caveman with fire, I had the idea to send up my drone and see what I could accomplish.

Let me say this, I'm not professional drone pilot, but was doing the best I could. I'm a work in progress.

Enjoy the movie.

http://bit.ly/2urDlST

That is awesome. You need some fence, buddy! Looks like there is nothing left of the water gap. A fence crosses the creek on the back 40, the neighbor and I went in together and had Kevin Burton put in a water gap. He put down 10 foot posts out of old electric poles. A cattle panel pivots on a cable run between the posts. Despite the storms we have had in the last year, it is still there.

Bright Raven said:
That is awesome. You need some fence, buddy! Looks like there is nothing left of the water gap. A fence crosses the creek on the back 40, the neighbor and I went in together and had Kevin Burton put in a water gap. He put down 10 foot posts out of old electric poles. A cattle panel pivots on a cable run between the posts. Despite the storms we have had in the last year, it is still there.

It's on the "Winter storms repair" list, along with a million other things.

That sounds like a good plan with the water gap, There was once a cable that could have held up a gondola across there, but lately the wall of water that hits through that opening can be 30-40 feet wide and 6-8 feet deep. It tends to blow everything out. That's why I usually put up some polywire, attach a small solar box and call it a day. Let it blow out, put it up again.

I had another water gap on downstream that was completely removed, not a trace of anything after one of the major storms.

Pretty slick with that drone Branded! All you need to do now is figure out how to repair that water gap with the drone! Nice selection of music for the video too! Just seemed appropriate.

You got all the toys Branded. I would have thought you would have had to come down closer to herd them, well done. What sort of flight time does it have?

Ken

wbvs58 said:
You got all the toys Branded. I would have thought you would have had to come down closer to herd them, well done. What sort of flight time does it have?

Ken

30 minutes, I wasn't sure on the trees, will get better, it's a bit hard to judge distance with at first.

bball said:
Pretty slick with that drone Branded! All you need to do now is figure out how to repair that water gap with the drone! Nice selection of music for the video too! Just seemed appropriate.

I'm going to get someone in to set some utility sized posts and stretch cable and gates again. Water is very destructive as you know, I had a gap in the back where the cable was wrapped solidly around a huge sycamore tree. The constant flooding took out the root system and the tree collapsed, huge mess to clean up. The tree had been there for a very long time with no issues. Like I said, water does a lot of damage.

76 Bar said:
Neat video.
Prefer a good stock dog.

I definitely agree. I'm looking to get one before long.

Would you recommend a Border Collie?

I've seen videos on Youtube where they are putting cattle in trailers in an open field, which blows my mind.

I also want a good pair of quarter horses, using an ATV and Gator right now, but the horses look like they can accomplish a lot in the field.

I'm open for all recommendations.

************* said:
bball said:

I'm going to get someone in to set some utility sized posts and stretch cable and gates again. Water is very destructive as you know, I had a gap in the back where the cable was wrapped solidly around a huge sycamore tree. The constant flooding took out the root system and the tree collapsed, huge mess to clean up. The tree had been there for a very long time with no issues. Like I said, water does a lot of damage.

May have to search around under the tips category, but one of the fencing gurus here posted some great pics and pointers on how to build a proper water gap. Might be worth your while to check into it.

bball said:
************* said:
bball said:

May have to search around under the tips category, but one of the fencing gurus here posted some great pics and pointers on how to build a proper water gap. Might be worth your while to check into it.

Thank you

Good video. I've got a horse and a border collie, think I'm getting a drone. :lol2:

Lucky said:
Good video. I've got a horse and a border collie, think I'm getting a drone. :lol2:

The buzzing of the blades gets them moving, they aren't exactly afraid, but they don't want to stick around to see what could happen.

I need a horse and a collie. Hoping to make it happen before long.

What do you think of the horses sold at 6666 Ranch? Any experience? I know absolutely nothing about horses, except that one can get taken to the cleaners on them if inexperienced.

My nephew started doing that with his and once he had them penned he would feed them cubes. Now all he does is send up the drone and they start running for the pen.

Would you recommend a Border Collie?
I've used Working Kelpies since 1976 with a few BC's interspersed. Good ones are worth their weight in gold.
I've seen videos on Youtube where they are putting cattle in trailers in an open field, which blows my mind.
Tip of the iceberg for well bred/trained/handled dogs.

************* said:
While it's not a "new" thing to use a drone to round up cattle, it was however, a new thing for me today.

Our water gap blew out after a storm and these three mischievous heifers decided to go sight seeing. I noticed them out the window of our home and said to myself "I'm going to have to get in the truck, or walk over there and get them back where they need to be.

Then like a caveman with fire, I had the idea to send up my drone and see what I could accomplish.

Let me say this, I'm not professional drone pilot, but was doing the best I could. I'm a work in progress.

Enjoy the movie.

Well Brook despite being full of corn half of the time.. :D you obviously know how to handle cattle. Applied pressure at the right place and time.
Good job.

callmefence said:
************* said:

Enjoy the movie.

Well Brook despite being full of corn half of the time.. :D you obviously know how to handle cattle. Applied pressure at the right place and time.
Good job.

LOL! Thank you!

Latest posts