Herding Dogs advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule

Reaction score
Pondering the thought of buying a herding bred dog. I'm in Florida, so the heat needs to be taken into consideration. I also have never used cattle dogs, so I'm not trained myself (my wife will attest to that), but I am housebroke. Here are a few of my questions:

How hard are they to train?
How hard is it to train the trainer?
Price to expect?
Best breed for my location?

I only buy horses that have power steering when I pick them up, and would probably prefer the dog to have it also. Do they herd due to instinct, or is that a learned behavior?

Thanks in advance...

David

Gators Rule":16qlez15 said:
Here are a few of my questions:
How hard are they to train?
How hard is it to train the trainer?
Price to expect?
Best breed for my location?
Do they herd due to instinct, or is that a learned behavior? David

1) What do you want them to do and where will they live ?
2) Very
3) Puppy for $x00s, trained dog for $x,000s
4) No idea, see #1
5) Mostly instinct

Find someone local in the biz, and either buy a puppy that they will help you train, or swallow hard and pay for a trained dog.

Gator,
I don't know enough on this subject to answer your questions and the paucity of experience might make you wonder why I respond. The fact is: My circumstances might help you as much as the guy whose light far outshines mine.

I don't know anything about dogs except that I am very fond of them. When I retired to my farm, I wanted two things; a ton truck and a dog.

My brother who is an expert dog keeper: he is an employee of I think it is the AKC and is a coon hunting offical who goes to coon hunts all over the eastern US and officates the hunts. He told me to get a Blue Heeler and he told me where to get it.

All I remember is I paid $350 dollars for the pup and I got it from a breeder he selected for me in Versailes, KY.

I did not have to train my dog. One day when I first got my cows, I wanted to move them from the back of the farm to the front. I took my young dog and he knew more about moving them than I did. I smiled the whole way. He was in front of me keeping the cows going and all I did was watch. That was over 4 years ago. A lot of things have changed in the way I manage cows.

The point is: A lot is bred into them. I still don't know anything about dogs but I am with him everyday and discipline is common sense. My brother gave me a shock collar and that is very helpful for some special applications.

Warning: He might still pee on visitors, but like I have said: I get some visitors that I want to pizz on myself. :lol:

As Heath said it depends on what you want the dog to do.
No offense to heeler owners but I've never liked them. My experience is they are hard headed and not real biddable, but do tend to have some personality.
I am biased so take that into consideration, but if you'll notice at the dog trials the majority are Border Collies.
IMO they are the absolute smartest, easy to train and have tons of personality as a companion dog also.

I can't stress enough to buy from someone that uses their dogs in their cattle operation and is reputable
Stay away from the breeders that have more dogs than cows ;-)
Now for my own personal recommendation I am extremely partial to the McCallum line, but there are lots of others lines that are really good.

HOW HARD ARE THEY TO TRAIN… It Depends on the dog and the skills of the trainer. You will need a minimum of 60 days training to get the dog to a skill level that my trainer calls kindergarten. This may be enough, depending on how you use the dog. He should be worked on a regular basis after that.
HOW HARD IS IT TO TRAIN THE TRAINER… Depends on the individual. It will help if you can start with a well-trained dog, and well trained livestock.
PRICE TO EXPECT…Well-bred puppies from well proven and trialed parents start around $600 in my area, but if you are lucky and know someone with good dogs you might find one for less. A started dog in my area brings about $2000. Depending on training and the skills of the dog, the price will go up from there. This year's Stockdogs at the Red Bluff Bull and Gelding sale, brought $2900 to $10,200. My trainer sells dogs there from time to time. He claimed my dog had more training on him when I brought him home than most of the dogs at Red Bluff. He said that is very expensive to sell at that sale, and that he actually would need over $3000 just to come out even on a dog he sells off the ranch for $2000. I paid $1200 for 60 days training on my dog, and that included instructions for myself. My trainer says he will work with me for free in the future if I want to return. It is a four hour drive, so I am not sure if that will happen, but I could sure use it. I was only able to get 8 lessons working with the dog before he came home. I went every other weekend and stayed overnight.
BEST BREED FOR YOUR LOCATION… I don't know, but my trainer says that after 20 years training herding dogs, he no longer accepts anything but border collies.

I would highly recommend against getting a young dog to train, unless you have both experience working with a trained dog, and livestock that are already familiar with being worked by a dog. Buying any young untrained pup is a big gamble. Not all dogs will work. I have an 8 year old female from good working lines, who is fearful of the cattle and has never had an interest in herding anything. She was my daughters pet. Your best bet is to buy a broke or started dog, and then take as many lessons as you can, working with that dog. People will often say, these dogs train themselves, and I guess you could say they do. The problem is you may not like what the dog will train himself to do. Most cattle dogs have a strong urge to chase, harass and herd anything that moves. A dog not properly started by an experienced handler will most likely cause a wreck. The stronger the herding instinct, the more you will need someone with experience to start the dog out right. A well started dog can still be a big disappointment unless you also learn how to handle the dog. Lessons for you are just as important as lessons for the dog. With a young dog your position must be correct or you will be giving the dog the wrong message. Starting a young dog takes agility and the ability to think quickly. You need to see what the dog is thinking before he acts, and you need to respond correctly. This takes a lot of practice. Even the most highly trained dog will fall apart, if the handler does not know what he is doing.

I have had Border Collies for quite a few years. I was able to train some of them to help me herd, but never to retrieve the cattle to me. Those dogs were relatively laid back compared to a really good working dog, so we got along . I am getting old and so were my dogs. I thought it would be nice to have a dog that would really work, instead of one that occasionally helped, but was more often in the way. I had planned to buy a trained dog, but I was at the Lamb Show, and a friend handed me this 4 week old pup, and all common sense went out the window. That new puppy smell is so hard to resist. The pup was an accident, but was out of some really good working parents. I read everything I could find on training the working dog, and watched numerous videos. I realized that my "book learnin" was not going to cut it, so when he was a year old, I decided I was going to take lessons in training him. I showed up at our first lesson and It was obvious this was going to be a case of the "blind leading the blind". My trainer recommended a handler that would put two months on the dog. He started him on sheep and then went to cattle. He worked with me once the dog had a good start. By the time he was ready to come home the dog was working really well. He had a left (Come by) and a right (Way to me). He would "down" anywhere I told him, and move out away from the cattle or in close on command. We looked really good working those trained sheep and cattle at the handlers. The handler had well trained dogs that he used to train those cattle, so when my pup worked them it made him look good. Then a few days ago we came home and reality hit. We were going to put about 25 pair through a gate to change pastures. I figured this would be a good chance for him to test his skills. I called the cattle to the gate and gave the command to go around. I was too close to the cattle when I gave the command, so the dog went in too tight. Before he got half way around, the cattle saw the dog and took off running in a dozen different directions. The dog did not know what to do, so he went after whatever he could catch, and I had no idea what command to give. Our first command at home, and our first wreck. After a few seconds, I calmed down and called the dog off, he came right to me, which would not have happened before. He would have kept on chasing with me running behind yelling and cussing. We let the cows get back together and relax, then started over. We got the cattle gathered and through the gate, but they don't have respect for the dog. It is going to take some time in a more closed in environment before these cattle learn to trust and respect the dog.

TennesseeTuxedo":27pcjfjq said:
Your dog is an ill mannered brute Inyati, not unlike myself. :D

TT, now I know why Blue is an Ill Mannered Brute. I need to spend $3,000 to train him. :D

That is impressive information provided by Katpau. Not many people who run in my circles in a depressed area like most of KY are going to spend that much on a dog. Get this: Most people tell me they would never spend $350 for a dog. :D

But I am not disparaging what Katpau says, just injecting some reality.

I agree. Never thought I would do it either. The pup was free, but by the time he was a year old, he was such a handful, I either needed help to learn to control and use his energy, or he was going to need a new home. These dogs can be extremely neurotic and obsessive. If they don't get to do what they are bred to do, they will find something to do. Like I said, I had other Border Collies that were what is usually referred to as pet quality. They were very different from this dog. He needed a job, and I was not qualified to train him. Gators Rule mentioned he would only buy a horse with "Power steering" and they don't come cheap either, so I figured he might be willing to pay the price. If not, be warned, that a dog bred solely as a stock dog is not an easy animal to live with unless you know what you are doing.

Katpau":2w995k9c said:
I agree. Never thought I would do it either. The pup was free, but by the time he was a year old, he was such a handful, I either needed help to learn to control and use his energy, or he was going to need a new home. These dogs can be extremely neurotic and obsessive. If they don't get to do what they are bred to do, they will find something to do. Like I said, I had other Border Collies that were what is usually referred to as pet quality. They were very different from this dog. He needed a job, and I was not qualified to train him. Gators Rule mentioned he would only buy a horse with "Power steering" and they don't come cheap either, so I figured he might be willing to pay the price. If not, be warned, that a dog bred solely as a stock dog is not an easy animal to live with unless you know what you are doing.

Thanks, Katpau. I respect a person who handles a comment well.

I love border collies and I would have been very pleased with one. I followed my brother's advice. I know TT is serious about Blue being ill-mannered. It is not as bad for me because he knows the reaction he is going to get will not be in his favor.

These working dogs are high energy. Blue gets the run of the farm everyday and that settles him down. Still, he gets excited with visitors. He tripped an older friend of mine by running in and grabbing his shoe. I wish people would do as I instruct them when they arrive. "Kick the shyt out of him". I can put a shock collar on him and he is smart enough to know right a way that he has to behave. Take it off and it is like throwing a light switch.

Thanks for your excellent information!

TennesseeTuxedo":2h1nho56 said:
Hard to be comfortable kicking another man's dog even with permission...that being said....well, next time it might be a good idea for Blue to have his shock collar on when I get there. :)

:lol: :lol:

He is just young and full of energy. :D

That's what I meant about heelers not being biddable
You have to be strong and forceful at even to the point of being physical
Most dogs aim to please, but heelers don't seem to be that way. They are pretty independent

Shanghai":14pymfmn said:
That's what I meant about heelers not being biddable
You have to be strong and forceful at even to the point of being physical
Most dogs aim to please, but heelers don't seem to be that way. They are pretty independent

That fits Blue. I do like that nature even in people. I like strength, dominance, independence, and character. I like my dogs and friends to have what I call "substance". And especially in women. Give me a strong woman anyday. And especially hispanic. :D

I use a dog daily on my place and have bred and trained Border Collies for about 30 years. I would suggest that if you do not
have a dog training background your best approach would be to buy a started dog from a good working bloodline suited for
your type of stock. I would also suggest you work a deal with someone with good dogs to come and "dog-break" your cow
herd. This does not mean letting someone come and abuse your cattle, but to use strong dogs to train them to respect a dog.

A young, inexperienced dog can get run-off by mature cows that have never seen a dog. Training cows can be done in a couple
sessions with good dogs by gathering and holding up the herd. The dogs need to be able to put cows that want to "quit the bunch"
back into the herd and once they return leave them alone. If the group is really tough the dogs may need to bite most of the
cows a time or two, but they must not harass individuals. Once cows are "dog-broke" they will remember it the rest of their life.

To be successful in a real working environment a dog doesn't need a lot of commands, but you need control of the dog. Depending
on how you work your cattle will determine what type of dog you want. For woods or swamps baying-type dogs may work, but
they don't typically drive well, heelers are driving dogs and typically won't cover a herd well, Border collies are popular because
they can gather (that's their natural instinct) and they can be taught to drive as well as fetch.

Bottom line, in my opinion, you can't expect a young, untrained dog of any breed to be a lot of help and putting a young dog in
bad situations too many times will take strength out of them that you can never put back.

To answer your other question, I am in Louisiana and its hot, the length of hair or breed of dog does not make as much difference
as the nature of the individual. A pup that is "wrapped too tight" will burn himself out much quicker.

If I can be any more help, just ask. By the way, Len Dalton passed away last year.

When I decided to use dogs to help work cattle I went with Australian Shepherds. I had been successful in training retrievers so knew some do's and don'ts in training. The thick coat may be better suited for cooler climates but I have not seen that being an issue.
Some herding dogs are natural headers and some are natural heelers. I have one of each, by luck, not design.
Training is an ongoing process. My dogs and I spend a lot of time together with cattle. I wanted a hardy breed and also a breed that had a reputation of wanting to please.
Once the light bulb clicks on in their head that they are just not chasing a bovine, that they are actually accomplishing a task, it becomes much easier to advance.
I enjoy the training. I enjoy seeing a dog grow in knowledge. I use the same hand signals and many commands I was accustomed to using with retrievers. I do not use a whistle because with two dogs you need specific commands for each dog.

About any herd dog can be used to get the cows out of the hay barn or to move them down a lane (more so if the dog is a natural heeler vs header).
With a little training most can easily be taught the "Gate" command. This is handy when you are feeding and do not have to get out and close the gate. Handy when the cows are standing at the gate waiting to be fed. The dog becomes the gate keeper.
The "Come " command means they stop any task and come to you. Sometimes you see a danger and can quickly pull them to you.
I have a "Me" command and that means I am in trouble or expect to soon be.

In this part of the country, a really good dog is almost necessity. Cattle are generally run in large groups on tracts of land that are measured by the section, and not by the acre. A section for those who don't know is 640 acres or 1 mile square. The ground can be pretty inhospitable, and even an ATV may not be useful. Cattle are usually gathered using cowboys on horses and their dogs. A good, well trained, dog can take the place of three cowboys. A $3000 dog can be a bargain under these conditions. I myself run less than 100 cattle on about 1100 acres. It is cross fenced, and I don't run more than about 25 pairs per group. We rotate pastures often, and most of the time I have no real need for the dog. Like most who run on the small pieces of land common back East, a trained dog is more a luxury than an absolute necessity for me, but I can understand why others don't hesitate to pay thousands of dollars for one. After all, my dog had over 60 hours of training from a skilled handler to arrive where he is today. That is less than $20 per hour. I consider it a bargain. I went from having an ill-mannered brute, who would ignore me to chase a deer, to an energetic partner, who is looking to me for the commands that allow him to do the job he loves and was born to do. A dog I can really be proud of, rather than one I must constantly apologize for. I do wish I had the skills to have trained him myself, but unfortunately I did not. It would have been like having someone learn to ride horses by breaking a colt.

My main purpose in having the trained dog was so I would have help moving cattle around when we gather and work them. We bring the cattle up into about an acre holding area, and move them from there into the corrals and the squeeze. This usually goes well to begin with, but eventually you get some cows who have figured out what is happening up ahead, and they will avoid the gate that brings them up into the corrals. A trained dog will make this go much faster. I may still need to get a bit of help with dog breaking the cattle, but I have high hopes for this dog. Although our first attempt at a gather did not go well because I chose a terrible location. Brush, a creek and fencing were all located in a way that made for an extremely difficult gather for even the most experienced dog. Add to that my improper positioning and my bright idea that we would push the cattle through the gate with a cattle rub extended over it, and you have a good recipe for failure. When we moved the cattle to a better location and I wide open gate we were successful. I have a big learning curve ahead of me. I may get myself a few dog broke sheep, so we can keep up the learning on a more daily basis.