Herd Mangers

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3aq2sc07 said:
RedAngus121":3aq2sc07 said:
Caustic Burno if you would please read over my post again. I am simply looking for a herd manger and what is it to you what i do? it has nothing to do with you. We simply do not have enough time.

you simply must have to much time on your hands. What good has it done you to get all worked up on these boards over nothing?

Thanks to everone who posted you are a great help. keep it coming.

Like I said If you are looking for a herd manager your a doctor,lawyer Indian chief that wants to play cowboy and talk big to your friends.

And what would possibly be wrong with that???

It is also POSSIBLE that he has a ranch that he wants to retire to or leave to his children or grandchildren but can't run it right part time while working his full time job. He COULD be a real estate speculator who would rather the agricultural property he purchased NOT decline or he could be a career rancher who got stepped on one time too many working his cows and is in a wheel chair. He may own more than one ranch and would rather devote more time to his main place. He may just have gotten old. There are lots of reasons people hire managers, I don't know why we would want to discourage people from their ambitions (whatever they may be).

Caustic Burno":3gjz2d18 said:
RedAngus121":3gjz2d18 said:
Caustic Burno if you would please read over my post again. I am simply looking for a herd manger and what is it to you what i do? it has nothing to do with you. We simply do not have enough time.

you simply must have to much time on your hands. What good has it done you to get all worked up on these boards over nothing?

Like I said If you are looking for a herd manager your a doctor,lawyer Indian chief that wants to play cowboy and talk big to your friends.

It is also POSSIBLE that he has a ranch that he wants to retire to or leave to his children or grandchildren but can't run it right part time while working his full time job. He COULD be a real estate speculator who would rather the agricultural property he purchased NOT decline or he could be a career rancher who got stepped on one time too many working his cows and is in a wheel chair. He may own more than one ranch and would rather devote more time to his main place. He may just have gotten old. There are lots of reasons people hire managers, I don't know why we would want to discourage people from their ambitions (whatever they may be).

Brandonm2":2ug8t694 said:
Caustic Burno":2ug8t694 said:
RedAngus121":2ug8t694 said:

Well put. So what if he is a doctor, lawyer or indian chief? Doesnt mean he cant have a ranch somewhere. Maybe hiring a manager is the only way to provide sufficient care and nutrition for the animals while he is working.

RedAngus121,
I would put a classified ad in the Cattle Today classifieds or in a local/regional Agriculture magazine.

Ryan

Hoards dairyman frequently has ads for herdsman, both looking for and looking for a job

dun

Caustic,
From an unbiased reader of these forums, your remarks do not hit home like you would like them to. When you say he must me a doctor, lawyer or other all it sounds like is you are JEALOUS that someone has money and decides to put it into cattle.
Why do some of you continue to bash or poke fun at folks with a little bit of extra money instead of trying to simply answer their question? All it does it make you look jealous. Maybe I am the only one who thinks this, or maybe its from all the pain medication I am on from surgery.

I would like to know if anyone else sees this or if its just me.

Thanks...

P.S. I did not mean to offend anyone by this posting, and Caustic I have read plenty of incredibly informative posts from you in the past that I pay attention to and learn from. Thank you for those..

Ryan":3ars2wae said:
Brandonm2":3ars2wae said:
Caustic Burno":3ars2wae said:
RedAngus121":3ars2wae said:

Well put. So what if he is a doctor, lawyer or indian chief? Doesnt mean he cant have a ranch somewhere. Maybe hiring a manager is the only way to provide sufficient care and nutrition for the animals while he is working.

RedAngus121,
I would put a classified ad in the Cattle Today classifieds or in a local/regional Agriculture magazine.

Ryan

Red Angus 121 If you need a herds man check some Ag Colleges sometimes you can get interns or others looking for a experience. (just a thought) I am curious though is a new pair of moccasins and a teepee part of the benifits? ;-) ;-) :lol: :lol:

have a cold one

(From my Teepee to yours Merry Christmas)

lazy ace

I work in the construction industry, and run stocker cattle on the side for a little income and a lot of fun. I would be very interested in something like this if it was in Nebraska. But I don't think you could afford me. If the house was decent and the pickup was decent I'd have to have $50,000 a year, plus the possiblilty of a bonus if certain goals were made. I think you would have a lot of people interested in this position down in the $25,000 to $35,000 range, but 9 times out of 10 your going to get what you pay for, and won't be happy. I would stay away from the college grads. I graduated from college and it was about 5 years of hard, hard work before I knew my head from my !ss. All that college degree :lol: does is get your foot in the door.

If you can find someone that loves to be around cattle, work 90 hrs a week when needed, is trustworthy, smart, and has a wife that stays off his back on those 90 hr weeks then you'll have someone. But to get a person like that you have to pay them, and to pay them what they deserve, there won't be much if any money left over for you.

Good Luck.

There is a rich Dentist who owns a complex in Dallas and earns nickels off of others, in addition to the nickels he earns. He has a charlais operation on a ranch with four home son it. The caretaker lives in an apartment in the middle of the barn (it sounds awful but it is a very nice apartment). The caretaker is retired and single. There is a heavy spring calving and the old dentist takes a long vacation and is on the ranch during that time frame (most of it). The old caretaker is a good friend of mine and simply likes living out there. He's got an old truck, food and shelter, and run of the place all week long. He's happy. He gets a salary and I don't ask what it is, but it isn't much.

I don't think that ranch runs on much profit. The caretaker feeds catfish and turkey a few times each week. The dentist probably figures on retiring there.

The scenario pasted on people living into their 80's and only have a few children to take the farm etc etc is totally bogus and out in left field. First of all, most of us already had places of our own before our parents passed on. For instance, there is land farm land I inherited that I don't use at all. It is too far from the other two places I own and the third one I lease.

If someone is looking for a caretaker, I'd find me an old retired man who is interested. You could title him "manager" if you so chose but I don't think they would be physically capable of doing an awful lot. They could indeed pull calves if needed, weigh calves for the purebred records, call a vet if needed, put out hay with a tractor and other things. But you are still looking at the cost of housing, vehicle, utilities, food allowance and it is going to cut into the profit. You also have someone on the place such that it is not totally vacant all week long while you are away out of town.

Try the "High Plains Journal", classifieds section. There is usually a few people looking for jobs managing someone elses farm or ranch.

Its easier to make mistakes with someone elses money.

backhoeboogie":3lfk3nln said:
The scenario pasted on people living into their 80's and only have a few children to take the farm etc etc is totally bogus and out in left field. First of all, most of us already had places of our own before our parents passed on. For instance, there is land farm land I inherited that I don't use at all. It is too far from the other two places I own and the third one I lease.

Just because it does NOT fit you situation does not mean it does not fit other people's circumstances. I know of about a half dozen guys who ran superb places well into their 70s and beyond and either did not ever have a capable heir or in some cases outlived their son. There is a straight bred Charolais place ~15 miles up the road from us, where the family sold the 200 cows within a month of the old man's death and parked the hay machinery. I suggested that persons (who for whatever reason) don't have somebody capable of handling their operations consider hiring a manager rather than downsizing as their own health declines.

Brandonm2":2fok89t6 said:
backhoeboogie":2fok89t6 said:

Just because it does NOT fit you situation does not mean it does not fit other people's circumstances. I know of about a half dozen guys who ran superb places well into their 70s and beyond and either did not ever have a capable heir or in some cases outlived their son. There is a straight bred Charolais place ~15 miles up the road from us, where the family sold the 200 cows within a month of the old man's death and parked the hay machinery. I suggested that persons (who for whatever reason) don't have somebody capable of handling their operations consider hiring a manager rather than downsizing as their own health declines.

If you make $100 a cow per year, which is about the national average, you're talking $20,000 profit if you do it yourself. Lets just say the "Manager" is twice as good as the national average and there is no risk of drought etc. It wouldn't be profitable.

Yep you're right about some of it. We have all seen kids sell the family farms through the years. I know of a really good farm that went for $650 an acre. Right now that farm can be leased for gas royalty at $1500 an acre and 25% royalty which pays about $300 per month, per acre for Barnett shale. The kids that sold it are crying about it. Most of them live way out of town and have no interest in ever farming.

Now if someone intends to retire to that farm you are discussing. I could see them hanging on to it and trying to break even each year and hiring a "Manager" to look after it. Otherwise it will go to a developer just like all the other farms we have seen go, OVER AND OVER AND OVER. This has been going on for years and years. People were living into their 80's back whe I was a kid. It is nothing new.

Brandonm2":23r9yx4r said:
Caustic Burno":23r9yx4r said:
RedAngus121":23r9yx4r said:

He would be better off leasing it and putting money to work for him on wall street. If he is hiring a ranch manger to break even he will probabally loose ther place to inheirtance taxes if he is that poor of a money manager. The death tax gets repealed in 2010 doesn't take much of place to have a pile of taxes due.

NOPLCLKNEB":1aev1fay said:
If you can find someone that loves to be around cattle, work 90 hrs a week when needed, is trustworthy, smart, and has a wife that stays off his back on those 90 hr weeks then you'll have someone. But to get a person like that you have to pay them, and to pay them what they deserve, there won't be much if any money left over for you.

Good Luck.

WEll, my hubby is like that, but I don't think I could get him interested in leaving Perry County MO .... he loves farm work and I enjoy it too but we now have 65 head of our own. My husband only gets $8.00 an hour and I figure it like this, he loves what he's doing and he's happy with it and I have an income as well so we're doing fine.

Good for you, happiness is what life is about. Not being some cranky person hiding behind a computer bitching everyone else out because of feeling ugly inside.

It's a nice change to hear someone who is content with life!

Merry Christmas!

I was discussing the issue of profit sharing with my buddy similar to your proposal. I told him that most farmers/ranchers would have a real problem paying out a 25K bonus even though they make an additional 75K. For me I would love to give him 50K since I would be keeping 150K.

Of course it takes someone with determination and experience to make this work. If you know of someone send him my way.

Latest posts