Herd Direction

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack said:
Chiolis Ranch said:
southernultrablack said:
Have you looked into crossing Gelbvieh over those RA? I really like the Balancer females I have, and they can sure raise a calf.

I haven't really researched it much. Do you have any pictures? I'm kinda open to anything right now. I'm poised to go about any direction I like in the next year or two. I'm just weighing my options right now.

While not red, this is a 50/50 Balancer and her 6 1/2 month old calf.

Paint em red, and send a load to me. :D

KYhill - you are correct. The old time Simmentals were BIG. I know. That's what I started with back in 1972.
You can find some Fleckvieh (German Simmentals) that are more moderate in size, but carry the heavier muscling. The thing I warn people is to watch for big shoulders & big heads (which most of the Fleckvieh have). This can cause calving problems. You don't want your cow or your bull to have big front ends.
The thing with the Simmental breed is you have LOTS of choices in the way of bulls and farms raising them. Look in the semen catalogs (ABS, Genex, Select, Cattle Visions) You will find lots of Angus, & Simmental. You have to think about your market. What can you sell?

southernultrablack said:
Chiolis Ranch said:
southernultrablack said:
Have you looked into crossing Gelbvieh over those RA? I really like the Balancer females I have, and they can sure raise a calf.

I haven't really researched it much. Do you have any pictures? I'm kinda open to anything right now. I'm poised to go about any direction I like in the next year or two. I'm just weighing my options right now.

While not red, this is a 50/50 Balancer and her 6 1/2 month old calf.
6 1/2 month old - looks great! don't know what i'm doing wrong over here. wished mined looked like that at 6 1/2 months.

Latest posts