Charbra direction

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbreed

Reaction score
We have a pb Brahma bull calf that we are discussing keeping for maybe 2 years breeding across my char/brangus cross cow. Looking through the older posts I found a thread with grey beard from 2014 discussing calving problems using Brahma bulls. Does anyone else have this problem or were those issues back in the day?

Can you get epds on the bull calf?

It can be done, I have done it, but you will definitely want the best numbers and history on the bull as possible. When breeding back on non-brahman cows you want lower bw Brahman bulls.

On a side note, some unsolicited advice, make sure you really want that cross. I tried it. They made great mammas but it put too much ear for our general herd. Taking those cows back to straight Angus bulls still left a lot of skin and caused a dock. I rarely want more than 1/2 Brahman. There is nothing those 3/4ish cows could do my 1/2 or 1/4 cows could do and their calves didn't bring near the money.

Last edited:
Can you get epds on the bull calf?

It can be done, I have done it, but you will definitely want the best numbers and history on the bull as possible. When breeding back on non-brahman cows you want lower bw Brahman bulls.

On a side note, some unsolicited advice, make sure you really want that cross. I tried it. They made great mammas but it put too much ear for our general herd. Taking those cows back to straight Angus bulls still left a lot of skin and caused a dock. I rarely want more than 1/2 Brahman. There is nothing those 3/4ish cows could do my 1/2 or 1/4 cows could do and their calves didn't bring near the money.
Brute, thanks for the reply and definately we are concerned with to much ear. I see your location is south Texas, I've always heard that is where extra ear brings the higher prices in Texas. One of the things I'm looking to do before this calf gets breeding age is go to the sale barn I frequent and discuss the discount they observe with this breed. From a crossbreed standpoint I need to discuss also with the man I bought my brangus from. Not quite sure just how much Brahman has been breed out of his basically closed herd as I don't think he's ever had a Brahman on the farm in the years I've known him so might be nearly bred out. We bought 3 brahman cows last year, AI'd them and only one stuck, The other bred to our Char bull and dropped a nice heifer calf, third heifer was so bat-sh!t crazy in the pen we hauled her. I'll drop some pictures of both calves and some of my black cows and would really appreciate your opinions on this. Don't worry about hurt feelings if anyone disagrees or do not like my cow's LOL. I always listen to others opinions and most of the folks on here truly try to be helpful so I decifer a lot.

From a crossbreed standpoint I need to discuss also with the man I bought my brangus from. Not quite sure just how much Brahman has been breed out of his basically closed herd as I don't think he's ever had a Brahman on the farm in the years I've known him so might be nearly bred out.
Do you have Brangus cattle, or cows that are black with some ear? Brangus were developed from a 5/8ths Angus, 3/8ths Brahma composite, ad their books have been closed for a long time. If your man raises Brangus, there is no breeding out or in of Brahma.

Brute, thanks for the reply and definately we are concerned with to much ear. I see your location is south Texas, I've always heard that is where extra ear brings the higher prices in Texas. One of the things I'm looking to do before this calf gets breeding age is go to the sale barn I frequent and discuss the discount they observe with this breed. From a crossbreed standpoint I need to discuss also with the man I bought my brangus from. Not quite sure just how much Brahman has been breed out of his basically closed herd as I don't think he's ever had a Brahman on the farm in the years I've known him so might be nearly bred out. We bought 3 brahman cows last year, AI'd them and only one stuck, The other bred to our Char bull and dropped a nice heifer calf, third heifer was so bat-sh!t crazy in the pen we hauled her. I'll drop some pictures of both calves and some of my black cows and would really appreciate your opinions on this. Don't worry about hurt feelings if anyone disagrees or do not like my cow's LOL. I always listen to others opinions and most of the folks on here truly try to be helpful so I decifer a lot.
I like that. I have a simular moto.

Male Brahman influence over 1/2 will always take a beating, even here. You have to go to a full on female replacement program and market them for the females to out do your male losses. Just hauling to the auction will not do that.

F1s are the perfect balance from my experience. The females bring top dollars and the males still do good.

This is out my windshield as I'm talking to you. That's F1s with a 7/8 Brahman. She is one of 2 I kept because she was so chill. 😄

20231110_111957.jpg

Do you have Brangus cattle, or cows that are black with some ear? Brangus were developed from a 5/8ths Angus, 3/8ths Brahma composite, ad their books have been closed for a long time. If your man raises Brangus, there is no breeding out or in of Brahma.
The man started with brangus breed correctly, to your point likely now they are cattle with ear. That's what got us started thinking about adding some back in

The man started with brangus breed correctly, to your point likely now they are cattle with ear. That's what got us started thinking about adding some back in
Here are examples of how much Brahman influence is left in my black cows

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
That's where we started but not many in the area. What was your opinion of the black cows?
They looked good to me...very little Brahma influence, but that is fine. Wondered if they were heterozygous for black, but I remembered you use a part Charolais bull, don;t you? THat would account for the calf color. A pure Brangus bull would fix that. What Texas town are you closest to?

They looked good to me...very little Brahma influence, but that is fine. Wondered if they were heterozygous for black, but I remembered you use a part Charolais bull, don;t you? THat would account for the calf color. A pure Brangus bull would fix that. What Texas town are you closest to?
Bulls we have used the last 5 years have all been charolais and registered/AI bulls. Still have 9 of the black but remainder of cows are retainment from our heifers so Brahman influence watered down even more.

Bulls we have used the last 5 years have all been charolais and registered/AI bulls. Still have 9 of the black but remainder of cows are retainment from our heifers so Brahman influence watered down even more.we are in Gainesville/Denton area

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpeg
    IMG_2082.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts