Herd Quitter ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old heifer calf. Every chance she gets she will leave the herd and go back to the paddock she was born in. Mother milk does not seem to matter. Is she a nut job or ?

I have one that would be perfectly happy being no more than a "barn cow"/pet. I'll let her out and she'll follow me around the barnyard, just hanging out but when I put her back she dutifully joins the herd. She's shy, and quite often introverted but I kept her because of her lineage and the end result is worth it, had her 3rd (very nice!) calf this year. Pick your battles.

I would probably keep her just because if the herd gets out, she could lead them back home again. Not that my cows have ever gotten out. just ask my neighbors.

There is a herd of about 30 quitters here. They are supposed to be up on the BLM allotment. There is 10,000 acres of real good grass this year. Plenty of water at all the springs. But about every 3 or 4 days they will quit the hills and come back to the valley. They graze along the road until someone gets tired of them and pushes them back up into the hills. I have done it 3 times. I know that neighbor L has done it a lot more than me.
One day they were on the road in front of my place. A car would come by and half push them or at least start tem up the canyon. Half hour later a car would come down the canyon back past my place. Back and forth they went for three hours. After about 3 hours I got tired of this nonsense. Got on the quad pushed them 2 miles down the road to the Wood Glutch road and up it in the BLM for a couple more miles. Three days later they were back......

Latest posts