Her we go again -Need help w/ scours

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl

Reaction score
I have a 3 mo.beef steer, still nursing eating grain, grass, hay doing great,full of energy chewing cud. This a.m. he has the green scours,seems like when our calves are 2-3 mo. old they get this. We have a very sanitary environment,cows have plenty to eat everyone is healthy, but this drives me crazy. Possibly the calf has over eaten, his temp is good. The weather has been very hot and humid, this plays a part I know. Anyway I always start w/ pepto bismol, he has had 2 doses today. I have spectam scour halt, but am leary of trying it, calf weighs about450lbs.How much of the spectam do I give, or is this calf too old to use it? Any help is appreciated-Thanks

What does his stool look like compared to the cows? Just because a calf is squirting green doesn;t mean it's scours

dun

That is a very good question, I guess when manure is runny I say scours. The manure is alot looser than the cows. It is the consistancy of mustard. thanks

I have several calves around that age that have really runny manure -- and only because they're on rich pasture. I'd keep an eye on him and as long as he acts healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a hard time associating scours with a calf that age. Maybe he's just found some really, really green grass and is enjoying it overmuch.

I give spectam to baby calves, so I don't think it would hurt an older calf. With baby calves, I give 20ccs when they come to the farm, then 10ccs per bottle feeding thereafter for the next five days...then 10ccs as needed. I'd think with a calf that size, it'd take a lot of spectam, and I'd probably be leary of trying to make a doseage determination on my own.

I don't know that I'd get overly worried about green squirts...unless he starts acting droopy and sickly. However, when in doubt, call the vet. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Alice

Thank you for all the replys- yes, our pasture is lush, we have had alot of rian and humidity, he is a big eater and eating more grass everyday,he is growing very well thank you. I will just keep an eye on him everything else is normal and I used to call the vet everytime this happened in the past, he says if all else is ok ignore it, it will pass. Thanks again!!!

Latest posts