Help?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here. Here is the situation - we run a horse boarding business, another horse boarding business closed down this year, the local college has expanded their rodeo team, and we have rented out pens to accomodate the demand. This means that we have horses in alleys with no water source except to carry it it buckets, and dump it into tubs. Any ideas about how to make a siphon out of a garden hose? I know it is a fairly simple matter of attaching a pump/squeezeable pump, but I'm not sure how to construct the pump/hand squeeze pump to get it to work - nor do I seem to be able to find on ready made on the internet. It would need to work for apprx 10' of tube. Any tips? Thanks!

well if you dont want to blow on the hose all you have to do is fill up the hose with water and then put one end lower than where you are siphoning from. (edit, n/m this wouldnt work for 10')

what i used to do in this exact same situation was we had an atv at work and i would put a big trash can in the back and fill it up with water, back up to trough and dump it in. i didnt have to wait around on anything to siphon.

What is the water source if you use a siphon? Would a manual fuel pump work?

Walt

What I finally did at Dad's old place involved 3 valves and hard pvc. I extended the PVC over the top, wired it to the fence, and it had cheap ball valves on the bottom ends in each tank. A third fill valve was on top with a hose connection barb, female. I'd fill the pipe after the tanks were full. I would then reach down in the water and close both ball valves, and finally, the fill valve. Then re-open the ball valves down in the tank. The tanks stayed equal level. One was huge with a lot of volume and one was small. You had to refill the big tank before the water level went below the valves in the tanks. If not, you'd have to repeat the process of filling the pipe again. You never had to fill the little tank out in the pens again.

Beefy":3puztx21 said:
well if you dont want to blow on the hose all you have to do is fill up the hose with water and then put one end lower than where you are siphoning from. (edit, n/m this wouldnt work for 10')

what i used to do in this exact same situation was we had an atv at work and i would put a big trash can in the back and fill it up with water, back up to trough and dump it in. i didnt have to wait around on anything to siphon.

I tried doing that, but it didn't work. I will not have the RTV much longer (and even if I did, it's diesel - so it's unreliable during the bad winter months), so the trash can isn't an option. Thanks, though. :)

backhoeboogie":2ntnk1zn said:
What I finally did at Dad's old place involved 3 valves and hard pvc. I extended the PVC over the top, wired it to the fence, and it had cheap ball valves on the bottom ends in each tank. A third fill valve was on top with a hose connection barb, female. I'd fill the pipe after the tanks were full. I would then reach down in the water and close both ball valves, and finally, the fill valve. Then re-open the ball valves down in the tank. The tanks stayed equal level. One was huge with a lot of volume and one was small. You had to refill the big tank before the water level went below the valves in the tanks. If not, you'd have to repeat the process of filling the pipe again. You never had to fill the little tank out in the pens again.

I'm not sure I understand all of what you're saying, but it gives me a place to start. Thank you! :D

msscamp are you wanting to tie two tanks togather so you can just fill one?

I'm having a hard time visualizing your situation. What is the source of water that you presently have and is it under pressure? If not is it a pond or what? Carrying buckets of water is not something I'd like to do. I have some ideas but need to get this cleared up first. I'm fairly good at jury-rigging if its gonna get me out of some work. :oops:

We have a tire type stock tank (with a float) in the corral next to the alleyway that our 2 horses are in. I'm dipping a 5 gallon bucket to fill it, then carrying it to the fence - apprx 8-10' away - and dumping it through the fence into 2 large tubs that the horses then can drink from.

The pump from a washing machine fitted with a crank handle will move water as long as you move the handle 8)
The fill line for the tire tank does it come up from the bottom or over the side?

Where the water source (I assume under pressure) goes in the float can't you split that source before the float and run a hose with a shutoff at the end to the place you need the water?

msscamp":2x6naoqz said:
We have a tire type stock tank (with a float) in the corral next to the alleyway that our 2 horses are in. I'm dipping a 5 gallon bucket to fill it, then carrying it to the fence - apprx 8-10' away - and dumping it through the fence into 2 large tubs that the horses then can drink from.

I think I gotcha now. MikeC posted something similar to this except his was two tanks side by side. The same principle will work here as well. I would drill a hole in your existing tank and put some flexible black hose through the hole and caulk it. I'd then dig a trench and place the hose in it until you get to the tank you want filled and plumb the hose to this tank. As long as the tank you are wanting to fill doesn't have much difference in elevation they will both fill to the same level. I think you could get this done for less than 20 bucks and it wouldn't take over an hour to do.(Assuming I'm seeing this right)

Jogeephus":3q7tu6h9 said:
msscamp":3q7tu6h9 said:

I think I gotcha now. MikeC posted something similar to this except his was two tanks side by side. The same principle will work here as well. I would drill a hole in your existing tank and put some flexible black hose through the hole and caulk it. I'd then dig a trench and place the hose in it until you get to the tank you want filled and plumb the hose to this tank. As long as the tank you are wanting to fill doesn't have much difference in elevation they will both fill to the same level. I think you could get this done for less than 20 bucks and it wouldn't take over an hour to do.(Assuming I'm seeing this right)

Yea what he said except I would use bolt on fittings. Caulk will start leaking.

Alabama, if this would work in msscamp's situation, what do you think about going to a place that sells sprayer parts. They have a good selection of threaded fittings that you can't find anywhere else. These fittings are used to put pipes through walls and be water tight. From there everything else could be picked up at hardware store.

Jogeephus":2smyjoi3 said:
Alabama, if this would work in msscamp's situation, what do you think about going to a place that sells sprayer parts. They have a good selection of threaded fittings that you can't find anywhere else. These fittings are used to put pipes through walls and be water tight. From there everything else could be picked up at hardware store.

You got that right. Then instal the new line under guound so it won't freeze. This should work between any tanks so long as the connecting line does not get higher than the free surface of the tanks. The line could be 100's of feet long and connect several tanks. you just need some level ground.

stick a garden hose in the source, run it down to the target
Suck on it
If the hose is lower at the target end ,once started ,water will syphon
when running put it in the target tank
make it permanent
After all thats what a hand squeeze pump does - makes the suck

I don't know if this will help or not but here's what we've done:

We have a spiggot by the fence. It has a 3' length of hose attached.

Along the fence we have wired PVC pipe which starts high at the spiggot and then drops consistently til it reaches the tank. To fill the trough that's not right at the spiggot you just stick the hose in the PVC pipe and gravity lets it flow to the other tank in the other paddock. To do this you have to be able to run that pvc along the fence all the way to your other trough.

dj":x6qwcr5p said:
The pump from a washing machine fitted with a crank handle will move water as long as you move the handle 8)
The fill line for the tire tank does it come up from the bottom or over the side?

Thank you! The fill line comes up from under the tank.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1q2k2p7n said:
Where the water source (I assume under pressure) goes in the float can't you split that source before the float and run a hose with a shutoff at the end to the place you need the water?

Yes, the water source is a well driven by a pressure pump. Water lines up here have to be buried at least 6' deep to keep them from freezing. So, if I'm understanding what you're saying, that would require trenching, redoing the water lines, and permanently installing a tank in the alley. That is more expense than seems to be necessary/can be justified at this point in time. The current influx of horses are seasonal - not year round. I appreciate your thoughts, though. :)

Latest posts