HELP!

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I don't know where to post this so here as this gets a lot of traffic. I have a horned calf. How it happened is a long sad story but I have to deal with him before I sell feeders. We usually knife cut but I do have a bander which says it can be used for horns also. Does it actually cause the horn to drop off? How long does it take? Would I be better to just use a dehorning tool? I do remember many many years ago my dad dehorning calves and older stock and there would be a lot of bleeding sometime. So they would put a fruit jar rubber under a horn stub and stretch it under the other stub and the bleeding would stop immediately. Is there something better if it bleeds a lot? This is new territory for me. Thanks for any advise and just keep it quiet from the neighbors. thanks farmguy

Everybody has their own favorite way of doing it. If the horns are still small (not over an inch or so long) I've alway just used the scoops to cut them off just below the hair line around the base of horn. Bleeding is usually not that bad but if you have a branding iron you can cauterize the area with it to stop the bleeding. I usually just turned them out and let them bleed for a while. Looks much worse than it is.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5

Used a calacrate bander for bigger horns and the green oreos for little ones. Cut the hair back and try to get as far back as possible. Tape the bigger bands to hold on as they will scratch and rub as it itches. Took from 1.5 weeks to about 4 weeks to fall off.

I put 3 green bands on each horn, on one animal that was about 10mo old last spring, And then electrical tape to hold the bands in place. Took 50-60 days to fall off though.

The bands want to roll up the horn, so put one low, and then the next lower and the next lower.. etc Then the tape. That will keep them at the base. I will stick to cut and burn from now on though. That one just got older and I didnt get to it soon enough.

Get the Barnes, hemostat for veins, a roll of cotton, a jar of pine tar. Pretty easy to figure out on the job.

Latest posts