Help...yearling with a swollen sack under chin

Help Support CattleToday:

tbase2000

Reaction score
Got a yearling I bought a while back that is developing a bag under her chin...getting pretty big now. I've tried for two days to pin her up and plan to worm her with the pour on wormer we use on everybody....have to get back on the name and brand...
Just looking for a some free vet advice.
She is looking ill...losing weight...and being she is the smallest of the herd she is with I'm not sure if the cows are trying to kill her off by not letting her into the pen to eat, or if she's just at the bottom of the food chain. I really think she is being singled out by the group though. Loosing weight rapidly and her chin is swollen like an old-ladies loose arm...big droopy sack under her chin.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

I'd say she's wormy by just what you described. Best get her in the lot and get her wormed. I'd leave her in the pen and start supplementing her with feed and hay, but start the feed out slowly, as not to cause bloat.

I had one like that a few years ago she lost alot of weight and developed a pouch under her jaw she ended up dieing the vet did an autopsy found she had a bad heart...

Is the sack about the size of two of your fists? Is it hard or solid feeling? Being you are in Florida also I would suspect snake bite. I have one in the pen I keep shooting full of antibiotics for the same reason. Once I got her in the pen I could see the mark on the nose where she got it. Big double fisted lump under the chin, and loosing weight. I suspect a Moccasin bite. I still need to get a picture of this cow to post on here so folks can see the results of snake bites on cows.

she's very pen-shy right now so I cant touch her...I'll look closer for the snake bite today as I try once again to catch her. I'll try to get a pic of her today. Thanks for the advice.

tbase2000":2ym4odnv said:
she's very pen-shy right now so I cant touch her...I'll look closer for the snake bite today as I try once again to catch her. I'll try to get a pic of her today. Thanks for the advice.

Try to get a close look around her nose, even up to near her eyes. Use binoculars if you have them so as not to scare her. Look for a red or even bloody looking area.

The bite (if it is a bite) won't necessarily be near the swollen neck area. Those are glands that are swelling as a result of the infection.

I would worm her in a sequence. if possible sounds like she has a pretty good parasitic load. killing all of them at once might cause infection or she may become toxic alot of stress involved with one like that i would also give vitamin shot..... i just now seen you last post if you can feed her give her some safe guard pellets in some feed if possible wont have to pen her for that and maybe some auramiacin too

Shes wormy! deworm her now. the reason she looks like crap is because of the worms. they are parasites. get rid of the worms and she'll come on. she doesnt feel good b/c of a heavy parasite load, isnt eating as well b/c of it, and what she is eating is nourishing the worms. if she is low girl on the totem pole that doesnt help matters either.

I'm pretty sure the "sack" is edema.. liquid filled. There are a lot of reasons for it, pour nutrition, worms, Johnes, hardware, etc. etc. Worming can't hurt, but it may be something more complicated. You may want to consider penning her separate from the rest of the herd so you can watch her more carefully. See how much she's actually eating, and how good her appetite is.