help with these huge bright yellow flies

Help Support CattleToday:

presmudjo

Reaction score
We (ok, my 2 steers) have just been invaded with these huge bright yellow flies. I am sure they are biting my guys. Tails are on the move. I didn't see them today, but this evening it was awful. I have some Bronco spray (they sell it for horses) and spayed them the best i could. Chugger has turned into one of those i own the field (found out local kids think it is funny to poke and throw sticks at them), but Charlie is cool. I will try and catch them in seperate areas so i can spray Charlie up good. I can get Chugger over the fence fine. Anyway, what are these flies, and how long will they be around? Any way to control them? Last year i saw a few and i don't think they were around long. Those belly flies are showing up, i just forgot their name, but spraying keeps them minimal. We use fly preditors and manure management, so don't have a regular fly problem. Thanks for any help.

Spoke to the kids around here. I didn't know they had been doing that. Should have seen their eyes when i told them the fence won't mean anything to him when, WHEN, he gets pissed enough. I asked them if they ever got hit by a car. Told them, he would be worse. Heard school bus kids mooing and yelling at them. If i see that again, i will call the school. The damage is done, so i don't go in the field when he is there. at the fence he wants his scratch and to lick me up. Only have to get him to the fall, and off to redditts he will go! Not use to deer flys being that bright in color. Do they emerge one color and dull down later, or maybe 2 different breeds?

Early in their adult life they are bright. Later they do get duller but still yellow

Its going to be a very bad year for eer fly. Guess i will try some experiments of home traps. Maybe jo in georgia has some tips. He seems to have lots of remedies. Need to look at his carpenter bee trap too. Saw one of those today too!

ga.prime":3ryekjeb said:
Those are called yellow flies around here too. Their bite is similar to a horsefly.

my mistake on the name should have been spelled " yeller flies" the w is silent in the south

charlie_yellow_flies.JPG

yellow_fly_cow.JPG

I don't believe these are yellow flies, as they are way bigger. Yellow flies have invaded us on the porch now, so I see them up close and personal. Are they some sort of horse fly? They only come out just before dusk. These buggers you can see on the cows from afar, like a glowing yellow orb. Best pictures I could get. Curious buggers would not stand still, and they wanted the flies off!

Keep them sprayed down as best as you can. Sure glad to here Redditts Meats are still going. They do a great job processing meat. And their cowhides were the best that I have ever bought.

Mr. Redditt sold, but they have an agreement and he still does slaughter, well, at least a year ago. He is in his 80's. It is Ala's meat or something, so no pigs going through there. I feel so bad for my steers. Just wish I knew what these are. They go through the dust bag to get to the feed pen, but that don't get to the legs. Is there a better spray than the Equine Fly and Mosquito spray?

Yes Ultraboss is a good pour on. And if you mix Prolate/Lintox with diesel fuel like they say to mix for a back rubber. Just use a pump up sprayer and coat them lightly, just watch their eyes. I do this when the flies get real bad.

Latest posts