Help with new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I just bought a new born calf last week. She was a twin and the other calf died and mom went down.
The calf is small about 45 pounds and very weak.
I had to feed her colostrum milk from the feed store and I have her on sav-a- caf milk replacement.
We have had a few days that we thought we would lose her but now she is doing good.
I started with a pop bottle with a limb nipple and fed her 4 to 5 times a day. Now she is up to a calf bottle and 2 quarts twice a day and trying to give her a little calf starter grain when I feed her.
I have also given her electrolytes once 2 days ago.
Now that things are looking better she is always hungry and want to suck on everyone around.
Is this normal or is she still needing more milk?
Thanks for the help Jeff

IMO, if you are feeding 2 quarts twice a day of a good quality milk replacer it should be ok. Should be about a 20/20 replacer. Keep starter in front of it at all times.

the hunger is a good sign, just watch for scours. (squirts) hydration is the biggest thing that will keep them alive. If it become dehydrated you will have an uphill battle for sure. Keep grain out there, and a little hay. its still real young but the sooner you get it off the milk the better you will be. Make sure it is peeing well and no issues with poo either. sounds like your off to a good start!

I have raised some bottle calves this year, at about a week of age I started offering an extra pint per feeding, and worked up till the calves were getting 2 extra quarts per day (so 3 bottles total) and on one heifer I had her drinking 2 gallons of replacer a day. They grew a little quicker this way in the beginning.

My calves suck on anything and everything for 20 minutes or so after they ahve been fed. They don't have to work nearly as hard to nurse a bottle as nurse out of the cow, so there is still the desire to suck there.

Put some calf starter in your hand and squirt some milk on it and force it int the calfs mouth at the same time you are bottle feeding. Getting her started on feed will help with scours and go along way towards eventually weaning off the bottle.
You might also give a bottle of luke warm water to keep her hydrated.

Thanks for the help
She is 3 weeks old now and going great. She is eating 2 quarts twice a day and a little starter and water when she wants.
It is going to be a long time before she is up to the size of other calves but the granddaughter is in heaven taking care of her. Jeff

Latest posts