Help with heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Archie1001

Reaction score
I have 2 heifers coming off the "fever" droopy, runny noses,loss of appetite, cough ect. I treated them with nueflor and B12 and they are well on the road to recovery. My concern is they are not eating. I have them isolated and am offering them good hay and creep pellets, which they are ignoring. They are drinking fresh water. What can I do to get them to eat?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

AS suggested banamine. Cattle that won't eat I use probios and a shot of fortified B-12 Complex.

Larry

Archie1001":28vk4a93 said:
Wild Cattle ; 25 cc
Banamine always got ours eating when they were off feed.
You just need to know that it covers a symptom (not eating, fever etc....) but is not a cure. Neuflor is good stuff.
B-12 is good ~ we call it a kick in the butt med, and give every 3 days until they have their legs under them.
Probios is important if at all possible. Something needs to help the gut out when giving those antibiotics.
You can offer sweet feed, maybe called calf manna.....maybe drizzle molasses over it, not much but some ~ is like a treat for them, but healthy at the same time. Costs a bit more I think, but is cheaper than losing your heifers.

angie2":2jesot8h said:
Probios is important if at all possible. Something needs to help the gut out when giving those antibiotics.

Absolutely, positively! Probios, probios, probios!

Put them in the chute and squeeze a really healthy dose in their mouths. I'd do it several days in a row...but that's just me.

Alice

Did you temp. and re-temp?

Banamine will hide symptoms, but it will get them up and eating.

Your Nuflor dose seems about right, did you follow lable for single day treatment cc/cwt...?

Nuflor works diferently than most BRD drugs it will "burst" the bacteria not just kill it. If a yearling is real sick they can develope a toxic shock. Close fresh water is nesasary to off set this.

I will also give(if the calf is week) 30cc 50% dextrose subQ, this will give them a little fluid and get a good sugar dump out of the liver.

I run a yearling care business, all of my cattle are on wheat pasture. We rope to doctor and have no sick pens, we have to get it right on first treatment.

Probios!

Can't say enough good stuff about them. Nuflor really tears up their stomachs, but works great for the crud. Don't deal with the topdress stuff, just get the paste so you know they are getting the correct dose. Also the banamine as mentioned will help for any pain. Good Luck, sounds like you are on the right track.

Wild Cattle":7jn9pmnr said:
Did you temp. and re-temp?

Banamine will hide symptoms, but it will get them up and eating.

Your Nuflor dose seems about right, did you follow lable for single day treatment cc/cwt...?

Nuflor works diferently than most BRD drugs it will "burst" the bacteria not just kill it. If a yearling is real sick they can develope a toxic shock. Close fresh water is nesasary to off set this.

I will also give(if the calf is week) 30cc 50% dextrose subQ, this will give them a little fluid and get a good sugar dump out of the liver.

I run a yearling care business, all of my cattle are on wheat pasture. We rope to doctor and have no sick pens, we have to get it right on first treatment.

I'm glad you're here. Wish you were sometime back. I'd have driven you crazy with questions.

Alice

Probois, that's all well and good..But..The first thing to worry about is treating the BRD and getting the calf back on feed, Probios will not do that. If the calf loses some of its lung or worse its game over. Probios or not.

It sounds like you may have gotten them "over the hump" but they are still not fully well - treatment has "masked" their symptoms so they feel better. I would continue TREATMENT with an antibiotic AND give Probios continually while the antibiotic is in their treatment.

Noticed most people said nuflor but Try Batril also seems like they pep up with it using bannamine and batril together. If u do temp do it in morning before 9 am if possible then retemp at same time next day.

simangus23":kzj6lo5d said:
Get onto the 21st century--- try Draxxin @ 1 ml per 100 lb bdywt

Simangus

Man you are going to ruffle some feather around here.
That aint a bad thing at all...

You are doing just fine, keep it up.

:tiphat:

Batril and Banamine together work really well when you are trying to get them to feeling better quick. Probios is a medium for allowing them to convert what they do eat more efficiently and also helps. That is, if they get to feeling the need to eat, but that is what the Batril and Banamine are for.

Archie1001":2erd1pw2 said:
What can I do to get them to eat?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Get rid of the illness. They are not "well on the road to recovery", or they would be eating. Based on the symptoms you stated it sounds like pneumonia, and I would have used Baytril because we have had a lot better results with it (as opposed to Nuflor). If they were my heifers, I would hit them with Baytril following the one dose treatment plan. Should you decide to do that, be aware that you need to record the date they were treated in case antibiotics are needed for something else later down the road - under the one dose treatment plan, Baytril can only be used once every 60 days (that is stated on the label). We have rarely had a need to use any kind of follow-up treatment, but in those few cases we used long acting penicillin.

We had a cow to calve on 12/23 and of all things on the creek bank. Luckily we were over there feeding and checked her, calf was in the creek. We got it out dried it off and the vet wasn't fast enough in calling me back so I gave micotil and b-complex. The vet recommended baytril because he said it was longer acting. The hubby thought the calf wouldn't make it, but he did. I did give a baytril shot 2 days later. I always give probios with any antibiotic and also follow up with vitaferm tabs (I get from the vet).

I agree you've not given enough antibiotics. I realize the baytril is $120 btl and micotil is $200 btl but its much cheaper than losing the calf .......... that is like flushing $600 down the toilet.

Draxin is great and all but is more of a preventative than anything. We use Draxin when we first get calves in to keep shipping fever out of them and vaccinate them also. Give them draxin if they aren't running a temp and have jsut been sick. Draxin is expensive though. Another one to try by the same company is Exceed it goes behind the ear and works for like 14 days but again is expensive but works great. But id stick with what you are doing and talk to your local vet.

Latest posts