Help-two young calves,one is sick

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a two week old heifer that is drinking okay but now her eyes are pussey and I see a little white snot coming out of her nose which was kinda dry the last few days. She is very quiet compared to the new 4 day old heifer which is running and bucing and mooing and full of piss and vinegar. Now I know that Susie must not be well. Talked to a vet and he mentioned septicemia. I gave her 7cc of penicillin tonight. I am supposed to give 5cc for 7 days. Any thoughts would be helpful. I know lots about horses and zip about cows. They are also kept in a chicken house with very clean straw bedding. Would chickens have anything to do with cow diseases. Also, when I bottle feed them, how hot should the milk replacer be. My husband always wants it hotter than I think it should be. Hey says 99 degrees. Cheers, Thanks

newbie":16p6kt7v said:
Also, when I bottle feed them, how hot should the milk replacer be. My husband always wants it hotter than I think it should be. Hey says 99 degrees.
I've gone on the theory that it is a baby - so similar temp to feeding a human baby

This is in regard to milk temp...hot is ok. If it's too hot, the calf won't drink it...so if the calf is drinking it at 99 degrees, then it's ok. Just my 2 cents.

As to the rest, you've consulted a vet...you are doing what he's suggested. I can't get real excited over his choice of antibiotic, but then he's the doc...and he knows what meds are best for what, I guess.

Good luck and take care, Alice

The vet told me to give it penicillin, but that I could go to the office to pick up some other drugs rather than paying for the vet call as if is far enough away. Am going to the stockyards tomorrow and maybe will pick up a few tips. Don't really have spare money on hand for a vet call if you know what I mean. I am a real first timer on this. Ask me anything about horses but not cows. Alice, what else would you suggest?[/b]

newbie":sshin0vz said:
The vet told me to give it penicillin, but that I could go to the office to pick up some other drugs rather than paying for the vet call as if is far enough away. Am going to the stockyards tomorrow and maybe will pick up a few tips. Don't really have spare money on hand for a vet call if you know what I mean. I am a real first timer on this. Ask me anything about horses but not cows. Alice, what else would you suggest?[/b]

Oh, Newbie, I hate to go against what your vet told you. Your vet may have very good reason to tell you penicillin.

Were it me, I would give it something much stronger than penicillin...nuflor or even draxxin. But, that's just me...

And, as always, when you give an antibiotic of any kind, also give the calf probios. That's my mantra... :)

Alice

Can someone tell me what probios is please. I read about IBR. These are two calves that came off a feedlot. They are the first ones that I have in my chicken house(big shed). Can cows catch something off chickens?

newbie":27a1tnc7 said:
Can someone tell me what probios is please. I read about IBR. These are two calves that came off a feedlot. They are the first ones that I have in my chicken house(big shed). Can cows catch something off chickens?

Probios is a microbial...a probiotic. When antibiotics kill all bacteria, good and bad. Probios replaces the good bacteria in the gut the aids in digestion.

As far as cows catching something off chickens, I dunno. I think it would be a stretch to think they could, but it's something you could do an internet search to find out.

Alice

I was always told by my Dad to never keep calves where you've kept chickens. Something about the feces from chickens making the calves sick. I've never tested it out though, I'm only going by what I was told.

Great news. Susie was kicking up her heels today and her eyes do not look too gooey. Gave her 7cc of pen last night and another 5cc tonight plus 1cc of Vit AD-500. She is also drinking great. I did notice that the other calf Friday's eyes are both wet though. Would I just have an eye infection going on? Vet did not think it would be IBR since Susie was still drinking. The chickens have been gone since last fall. I have bedded deep straw over the shavings. People say not to have chickens and turkeys together but I have with no trouble so maybe I've been lucky. Plus I kept it very clean. I love this forum. I am picking up so much information from it without having to bug the farmers down the road who probably think I am paranoid, but when you only have two calves and not 100 I think that you notice alot more. Cheers[/b]

Nice to hear your one calf is getting better. Something you may want to add to your war chest is LA-200 (Agrymicin 200 is basically the same but cheaper). Its good for almost anything a calf comes down with. That is the drug (can get it at feed store, no prescription). I always start with it for any sickness. Penicillin is good, but a lot germs have no respect for it anymore.

highvoltagecattleco":1jf1qqza said:
Something you may want to add to your war chest is LA-200 (Agrymicin 200 is basically the same but cheaper). Its good for almost anything a calf comes down with. That is the drug (can get it at feed store, no prescription). I always start with it for any sickness. Penicillin is good, but a lot germs have no respect for it anymore.

I'm thinking this is another of those 'regional' differences things, because LA 200 is at the bottom of the list around here - we don't even buy it anymore. Penicillin, on the other hand, will knock out a lot of stuff in very young to young calves. Although Pencillin can't hold a candle to Baytril for respiratory stuff in weaning age calves, it is certainly a very viable option for a 2nd treatment in those calves that don't respond quite as well as we would like to see from one treatment of Baytril.

I agree, LA-200 is way over rated and the makers sure are proud of it. The nock offs are an OK substitute, but its still at the bottom of my list. I do hav a bottle of Duramyacin. For the most part I wont even mess with it for anything other than a preventive measure once in a blue moon.

You can get Pro-bios (a pro-biotic) at any store that carries horse supplies. It's a staple in the horse world as well.

newbie":35kgmj9q said:
Also, when I bottle feed them, how hot should the milk replacer be. My husband always wants it hotter than I think it should be. Hey says 99 degrees. Cheers, Thanks

The way I was taught was to turn my hand out and palm up, and let some of the milk dribble on my wrist. I can't tell you actual degrees, but I can tell in an instant when I put a few drops on my wrist if it's too hot or too cold. :p Try it... you'll probably find it's a much easier "test" than using a thermometer.

Latest posts