Help settle debate

Help Support CattleToday:

haulinbass02

Reaction score
Guys and gals, I'm new here and am new to cattle. I have a lengthy post and hope to clear up some issues I'm having.
We just bought two cows this past year with several other people to split for meat. One is a Jersey steer that is about 9 mos old and filling out well. Probably send him to the processor in July. The second one is the one my BIL and I are having a debate about.
Long story short, he bought her, a black Angus heifer, from a local (to him) rancher with the information that she was 3 years old and had a prolapsed uterus after having had one calf. She was a feeder at that point to the rancher and sold her for $600 to my BIL in November of 2018, telling him she would hit 1200 lbs by Feb 2019 and be ready to slaughter.
My BIL then wanted one that would be ready sooner and "traded" the 3 year old in for a barren 5 year old black Angus heifer. I then bought the 3 year old and went to pick her up in December. I saw both of them in the feed pen and the older one was bigger frame than the younger one, but not by a whole lot.
I've been feeding mine out on 14% All stock, corn and barley mix and set a slaughter date of Feb 12.
My BIL called me today and informed me that my heifer was "not ready" because his was not ready according to the rancher and needed several more months to feed out. (The rancher he bought from is feeding out his cow for him, supposedly)....so then he tells me that his cow was 1000 lbs when he traded for her in Nov and that mine was only 600 lbs and had a ton more growing to do. Mind you I've done TONS of research and while I'm no expert, something did not seem right.
A supposed 3 year old heifer with good BCS having already calved once weighing only 600 lbs? That is typical weaned stocker weight from all I've read.....not what a typical 3 year old would weigh.....my jersey, if putting on 2 pounds a day (which I'm sure he has because he is getting awful big) should weigh close to 600 by now and she was quite a bit bigger than him when I brought her home.
So I went out and frame scored my heifer using my fence as the height marker (I can't get THAT close to her to use a tape and level).....if her age is what they told me, at 3 years old and ~48", she's a frame score 3 maybe even a 4. Her BCS is between 5-6 and I put her weight at target weight of 1000lbs or more.
He's insistent that she HAS to hit 1200 lbs or we are "wasting money" and slaughtering her too early. I'm thinking I'm there or close to being there but he says that's impossible based on the fact that his cow isn't ready for slaughter and was bigger than mine 2 months ago.
I can see where HIS older cow, which has a frame score of a 5 would need to be closer to 1400 lbs or even more because her BCS was a 3-4 when I saw her. But I tried to explain that one size does not fit all and he would have nothing of it.....so what's the deal?

you bought the 3yr old to eat. Send her to the locker and enjoy some good beef. Willy waving with the brother in-law has nothing to do with the cattle and the argument can not be won or lost.

She is definitely headed to the slaughter house in Feb. I was more or less trying to make sure that I was doing the right thing. I agree she should have been close enough to go when we got her and really should be good to go now having been on feed for a few months.
But considering this was my first one to feed out and the fact the info I got on her is not really trustworthy, I wanted to make sure we are getting the best bang for the buck.

Your Jersey steer should be the best eating - as far as good cuts (steaks). Jersey breed is the best marbling breed.
Angus is a great marbling breed, but you have a COW, not a steer. Age will give you more flavor, but younger is usually more tender.
You cannot go by weight or frame score. You need to go by "finish" (fat) around the tail head, in the brisket, in the flank. I would think the cow will basically be hamburg & pot roasts, but you should be able to have the butcher pull the loin for steaks.
Kutos to you doing your research!! Yes, if she has calved, I would agree with you that she "should" be in that 1000# range. How much are you feeding her per day?

I'm not weighing it out like I probably need to but she gets roughly 8-10 pounds of Allstock and corn/barley mix in morning and evening and has hay to keep from burning her gut. That's what an old timer friend of the family told me he does. He said he doesn't have any issues with off-flavoring given the little hay she does eat.
The Jersey get about 7-8 pounds per feeding in morning and evening and I'm starting to give him just a little corn and barley with the Allstock and freechoice hay.

I would increase the corn - slowly on both. Don't worry about the hay "spoiling" the flavor. It will not. They need hay in order to eat more grain. Is that 8-10# per day, or per feeding. They can be increased if that is per day. You want to supply MORE than they need for maintenance to get them to deposit fat/marbling. You are supplying them with more than maintenance, but more is better for finish.

Bestoutwest said:
Sounds like someone is getting the short end of the stick to me.

Well hopefully you aren't meaning me!

As far as feed goes, they get 7-10# each per feeding. Which is twice a day st this point. I'm starting to increas her corn and Allstock this week as well until she goes to the hanger.

bmcdonald said:
Three Year Old Cow should be ready off grass alone I would send her to the slaughter.

Have you ever had beef that was on grass alone? I know a couple of direct sales guys that refuse to sell to people that want "grass-fed only". Invariably the purchaser complains that the meat is not very good.