Help with registering Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454...Purchasing cattle from someone who knows neither their respective sire(s) nor dam(s) IMO is puzzling if your goal was to acquire "really good registered Angus stock". CA has a plethora of respected Angus seedstock breeders all over the state.
Since this is all new to me, I'm uneducated with the process and he made it sound like it would be an easy process. Little did I know that he didn't know who the sires... nor the birthdates now. UGH. I'm learning the hard way. I think I've concluded that theses heifers will stay commercial and my dream of a registered herd will have to come down the road another time.

Can you please explain what "tattoo" means?
Most registered animals get a permanent ID tattooed in their ear-specifically assigned based on owner registration and herd ID,. Tags are not permanent. Sort of like a Bangs tattoo done by the vet, but specific criteria from the association. Sounds like you have nice commercial heifers. If you want registered, you need to buy them already registered. You're chasing a rabbit at this point.

Yes that's the issue I ran into when I called Angus Assoc. He doesn't have a membership. I'm now wondering if I should just not bother with registering these heifers.... I'm learning from my mistakes!
Expensive mistake. Shame on him as a breeder for misrepresenting (lying about) the registration piece.

Since this is all new to me, I'm uneducated with the process and he made it sound like it would be an easy process. Little did I know that he didn't know who the sires... nor the birthdates now. UGH. I'm learning the hard way. I think I've concluded that theses heifers will stay commercial and my dream of a registered herd will have to come down the road another time.
Claiming ignorance is no excuse for failing to do your homework and particularly as it relates to "achieving your dream of a registered herd". The AAA and CA Angus Associations provide a wealth of information and contacts.

Claiming ignorance is no excuse for failing to do your homework and particularly as it relates to "achieving your dream of a registered herd". The AAA and CA Angus Associations provide a wealth of information and contacts.
Lol no excuses here, thank you for the positive comment. I thought we were supposed to build people up not shoot them down. I'm not looking for criticism on my lack of ignorance. You don't know all of the circumstances. Basically I trusted someone who I thought knew about his cattle. I was wrong. I'm learning, this is all new to me.

Lol no excuses here, thank you for the positive comment. I thought we were supposed to build people up not shoot them down. I'm not looking for criticism on my lack of ignorance. You don't know all of the circumstances. Basically I trusted someone who I thought knew about his cattle. I was wrong. I'm learning, this is all new to me.
Many of us have owned cattle for over 50 years and learned many lessons the hard way. Most mistakes you will make have been made before. Many of them by me. As long as your learning your doing well.

Many of us have owned cattle for over 50 years and learned many lessons the hard way. Most mistakes you will make have been made before. Many of them by me. As long as your learning your doing well.
Thank you. I kick myself but I know that when mistakes are made, boy do I sure learn from them!

Thank you. I kick myself but I know that when mistakes are made, boy do I sure learn from them!
Things that seem commonplace to me now, years ago I just did not understand. Some of my knowledge even rubs off sometimes. The secret is to learn but also to enjoy the adventure called raising cattle.

Things that seem commonplace to me now, years ago I just did not understand. Some of my knowledge even rubs off sometimes. The secret is to learn but also to enjoy the adventure called raising cattle.
Yes I agree, Kenny. I have a enjoyed every minute of raising cattle. It is a way of life for myself for sure!

I don't think you have made a big mistake, you have two nice heifers added to your herd, you have learnt a lot about the process of registration and if you do want to pursue this direction you are much better equiped now to proceed.

Ken

I don't think you have made a big mistake, you have two nice heifers added to your herd, you have learnt a lot about the process of registration and if you do want to pursue this direction you are much better equiped now to proceed.

Ken
Thank you Ken. You are right, they are two nice heifers added to my herd. I am happy about that for sure!

The person you purchased those heifers from was just a guy with commercial cattle. He probably bought a few cows/heifers that an Angus Breeder sold him and transferred the papers to him. That is was what good seedstock producers do. Your guy doesn't know all of the work we go through to produce and sell Seedstock. He just buys a bull (purebred or commercial) to breed his cows, and thinks it's a piece of cake to register them. You have learned a valuable and painful lesson. This is why Registered cattle bring more, because they cost more to produce. Good luck in the future and go to a reputable breeder next time.