help on cattle breed

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I'm wanting to raise tiger stripe cattle and had a question about which way to go to see if one was better than the other. Would you buy a hereford bull to put on brahman cows or brahman bull on hereford cows? Does it make a difference or will you still get the say quality calfs? Just looking for some input I'm pretty much new to this type thing.

chadreed88":qm50hhn3 said:
I'm wanting to raise tiger stripe cattle and had a question about which way to go to see if one was better than the other. Would you buy a hereford bull to put on brahman cows or brahman bull on hereford cows? Does it make a difference or will you still get the say quality calfs? Just looking for some input I'm pretty much new to this type thing.

Tigers are not for rookies they can eat barb wire and briars and crap 16 penny nails. I ran tigers for a long time do yourself a favor and look at Brangus they are plenty hot enough for a rookie.

After thought you should look at buying Hereford type cows one they are cheaper and you have more options with a red cow. Pluses are a more gentle cow you can change the calf crop by changing the bull to follow the market . Put an Angus/ Brangus bull and sell black motley face Char you get yellow baldies which always bring top dollar. Use a Hereford/Red Brangus/Limm get red baldies. Thats my 2 cents.

I'd go with the hereford cow, brahman bull option. Hereford cows down south can be had cheap (compared to their black bovine cousins), and there are now vaccines for pinkeye. You'd be hard pressed to find a more docile cow than a hereford. The only problem you'll have is selling the steers - you'll take a beating.

Plenty of previous discussions on here about this subject...just search brahman/tigerstripe/F-1. I have red brahman and hereford bull as part of my herd. Brahman are more expensive than hereford cows but they will last longer and lessen risk of calving problems. Unless you are experienced cattleman I'd go brangus like CB suggested or european/continental if your climate would allow.

Hereford females will cost you less than Brahman females, but if you use a Hereford bull on Brahman cows, you won't have as much risk for calving problems, as the Brahman cow will generally reduce the calf size. But of course with a Brahman cow you have a whole host of other potential issues.. like temperment and teat size.

chadreed88":lordny9x said:
I have raised F1 Brafords. The older I get the less likely I am to do it again. It takes talent/skill to work these animals. If you still think you want to do it after the advice given on this thread then you need to go out and volunteer your help working them. They will probably not allow you to help as they would fear you ruining there cattle. This does not even start to address the facilities needed to handle them.
If I were you I would either start out with something with no ear (I,m partial to Hereford), or purebred Brahman (select for good temperament, my choice)
As far as which way to cross. Brahman cow, Hereford bull for the reasons given by others, plus they will hold there value longer if you go to sell them.

baxter78":sfckx51s said:
When I was growing up my dad had registered herefords. One day he got a wild hair that he wanted to use a Brahman bull on em. That was a mistake and train wreck waiting to happen. They did not have any calving problems but the calves and that bull were meaner than a coiled cobra waiting to strike. I got me a lesson in cattle handling quick, fast, and in a hurry and it was a crash course to say the least. Do yourself a favor and do what Caustic said. Raise you something else. Tiger stripes arent for the faint of heart. First and only time in my life that I have had bulls and calves actually stalk me to try and take me out when I was not looking.
There is no doubt that the aggressiveness came from the Brahman side. The serious Brahman breeders have had great success in breeding this out of them. Handling practices have helped a lot. I can honestly say that I have never owned an agressive F1. The problem today is generally with the calves on up to when they have their first calf. Generally speaking after they mature they are a lot easier to work and do not seem to be as big a problem. One of my major goals with the strait bred Brahman is to breed a genetically docile animal that will later be bred for a more docile F1. Not only for workability but it has been shown that docile cattle produce a more tender meat.

Latest posts