Help me understand!!

Help Support CattleToday:

heard a good idea from a guy - give everybody 20,000 bucks and make em buy a GM vehicle. that way GM gets the business they need everybody gets a new car :D

Kenz":d47wjnz3 said:
heard a good idea from a guy - give everybody 20,000 bucks and make em buy a GM vehicle. that way GM gets the business they need everybody gets a new car :D

Everybody wants something for nothing. That was how this all got started.

TexasBred":2i80tn9m said:
show time":2i80tn9m said:
I just heard on the news that GM is expecting to earn $136 billion in the year 2009. So why is the government even considering giving them more money, which just happens to be pocket change to them?? The rich get the poorer's money? Why wouldn't the government just give middle class, hard working families at risk, say $100,000? That would wipe out many ppl's debt, other's would invest (real estate/stocks), and of course there are those that would blow it on material items, which would help stimulate the economy. I may be a simple country girl but my plan makes more sense to me than the "higher" educated government officials!

Please add your comments, suggestions, and of course feel free to "rip me a new one"!

Why give money to anybody? Make them earn it. As for the so called "bail out". We're not bailing out GM, Ford, Chrysler...we're bailing out the UAW. Amazing I heard yesterday that in 2007 GM and Toyota basically sold the same number of vehicles world wide. GM lost about $35-40 billion...Toyota made $15 billion on same sales.

No more pensions and no more health benefits for retirees. If the UAW would just do that, things would right themselves over time. There are just too many retirees from the auto industry. I have one on either side of me and they live large.

TexasBred":x8rvvjif said:
show time":x8rvvjif said:
I just heard on the news that GM is expecting to earn $136 billion in the year 2009. So why is the government even considering giving them more money, which just happens to be pocket change to them?? The rich get the poorer's money? Why wouldn't the government just give middle class, hard working families at risk, say $100,000? That would wipe out many ppl's debt, other's would invest (real estate/stocks), and of course there are those that would blow it on material items, which would help stimulate the economy. I may be a simple country girl but my plan makes more sense to me than the "higher" educated government officials!

Please add your comments, suggestions, and of course feel free to "rip me a new one"!

Why give money to anybody? Make them earn it. As for the so called "bail out". We're not bailing out GM, Ford, Chrysler...we're bailing out the UAW. Amazing I heard yesterday that in 2007 GM and Toyota basically sold the same number of vehicles world wide. GM lost about $35-40 billion...Toyota made $15 billion on same sales.

Did you also "hear" that Toyota managers make about three times what the higher paid hourly employees make while American car company managers make millions each year? Did you also "hear" that, while their official retirement age is fairly young, most Japanese work until they're 70 because their retirement programs are so bad? Did you also "hear" that in Japan there's a government run universal health care program, unlike here in the US where companies are responsible for employees and retirees insurance? Yeah, they may sell the same number of cars, but you can't blame the just UAW for the difference in profit.

Some people hate the unions so much, they'll see an entire sector of the economy go down. Good for the unions for standing up for themselves. Asking workers in Michigan to take the same pay as a guy in GA is unreasonable. School teachers don't make the same in TN as MI. Why should auto workers? The costs of living are different. Working conditions are different.

What makes me maddest is that when they requested $700billion for the bankers and high finance, the there was very little complaining from Congress. Here, guys, here's your $700billion. Invest it in those toxic mortgages. Now they're saying that GM, Ford, etc., don't have enough "equity" to get any money from the government? They're the ones who actually MAKE something, provide thousands of jobs, affecting millions of other jobs and businesses!

If GM goes down and all those people lose their jobs, their suppliers go down, the businesses that provide services for GM employees go down, then demands on unemployment, pressure on emergency room medical care, individual bankruptcy, etc., are going to cost the US tax payer a lot more money than this proposed bail out.

And, BTW, virtually every country with a car industry has given them financial support to stay in business, except the US.

Lammie":1uub13oq said:
No more pensions and no more health benefits for retirees. If the UAW would just do that, things would right themselves over time.

It kinda sounds like what the rest of us are doing except for Railroad workers.

People my age could have been sold a bill of goods on social security for folks my age if they thought it was really going to happen.

I am at a lose at what the UAW has thought.

$29 wages
$14 Vacation and over time
$12 Health Care and training
$16 Health Care and pension

$71 total.

These would have been per hour numbers.

Frankie":3e65ag84 said:
And, BTW, virtually every country with a car industry has given them financial support to stay in business, except the US.

I am interested in a link for this info.

Seems like the airlines made it through similar situations on their own.

I think it is a shame that the U.S. Taxpayer's funds can be spent on global welfare as in aid to every country in need but the same can not be afforded to Americans who in return pay the taxes. JMO.
Tom

Canada announced yesterday they are going to give the auto makers $3.5 Billion. We have about 10% population of the USA so an equivalent of $35 billion in the USA. We have about 20% of big three production so we are in the ballpark for the $14-$15 billion the USA is spending. This is just the first part of the bailout and Canadian officials have said they will move in lockstep with the American government.
Not sure if this is fair to the other carmakers like Toyota or Honda that build cars here? Seems the government is picking winners and losers?
The sad fact is nobody is buying cars? Anywhere! The Canadian plants are shutting down production for six weeks to try to reduce the glut of new cars/trucks. Hopefully this crazy economy can get turned around in 09 and people can start buying again? I think these car companies need some help getting over a rough spot...just my opinion.

show time":1it23va3 said:
I just heard on the news that GM is expecting to earn $136 billion in the year 2009.

Earning is different then profiting

dun":2v7yi2wk said:
show time":2v7yi2wk said:
I just heard on the news that GM is expecting to earn $136 billion in the year 2009.

Earning is different then profiting

That is exactly right dun! We all EARN money from our cattle, but do we PROFIT from them??

Wewild":1vcrl8k5 said:
Frankie":1vcrl8k5 said:

I am interested in a link for this info.

Seems like the airlines made it through similar situations on their own.

And it seems to me that you're wrong.

In 2001 the US government gave the airline industry $5Billion cash and $10Billion in loans.

I don't make stuff up and I'm not going to look for links to every country that has an auto industry. You can believe it or not or do your own research, most countries with a car industry are giving them money to stay afloat. How do you expect GM, Ford, to compete with that?

Lammie":3ubjhayc said:
TexasBred":3ubjhayc said:
show time":3ubjhayc said:

No more pensions and no more health benefits for retirees. If the UAW would just do that, things would right themselves over time. There are just too many retirees from the auto industry. I have one on either side of me and they live large.

What a crock, Lammie. Perhaps they'll do you a favor and just drop dead? :devil2: They did earn it. Are you going to forego drawing your pension and social security when you're old enough? These union workers showed up for work every day and now deserve what they were promised all those years. The UAW has agreed to take on health insurance for retirees.

And all the time THOSE workers were earning their $15-25 hourly wage, the top management people were earning $millions and running the companies into the ground!

If anyone on this board works a 40 hour work week, gets a paid vacation, health insurance, sick leave, 401K or retirement program, they owe much of that to organized labor. Don't for a second think companies offer that out of the goodness of their heart! They offer them because if they don't, potential employees will go to a union shop to get them!

If I remember right, Toyota and the other Japanese car companies didn't drop $billion bucks in the south to build plants. The taxpayers are paying for state-of-art auto assembly plants. So they isn't dealing with debt for building that plant.

Frankie":18g5n9ii said:
...most countries with a car industry are giving them money to stay afloat. How do you expect GM, Ford, to compete with that?

Build a quality product that the consumer wants at a affordable price would be a good place to start.

Latest posts