HELP.heifer had hard birth/down for 6wks.Remedies??

Help Support CattleToday:

monday123

Reaction score
I have a first time heifer that had a hard delivery with big bull calf.Calf didn't make it. Now cow has been down since May 15th.We had given her calcium and oxycotin immidiately so she wouldn't throw her bed out. She didn't. We have given her steriods everyday for nerve damage. She eats good drinks good. Used the tractor for 3 wks to get her up.Then with a "little encourgement" she would then get up but wouldnt walk. She reinjured a hip recently by going down funny. She can stand as long as 1 hr to as little as 10 min. Her knees are swollen now. so its getting painful. We have been bedding her on hay. She doesnt have good balance and doesn't take any steps unless the hip locks are on her. I heard about an old remedy of digging post holes and setting her in them. ANy advice...please. OR how to set in the post holes???

When I read your "subject matter", my first reaction was to say to shoot her. I never would work with her that long. But, you have been amazingly persistant. I commend you for that. I have no answers for you. "Generally" if they get up - for any lenth of time - they get better. But, your's is not. The swollen knees does not sound good.
I have never heard of the post holes. I have heard of water therepy. Someone had a portable water tank that they exercised the cow in. I've heard of holding her up with a sling, with just slight weight on her legs.
Again, I would never let it go this long. Keep us posted.

I have had this problem of a cow being down before and after this length of time there isn't much hope especially if you now have swelling in the knees which will be painful to her. Its also only a matter of time before she has abrasions and that leads to infections. If it was winter and you hadn't given antibiotics she would become freezer beef for me. After 40 years when it progressed to this point for me there was never a positive outcome. What I did get out of this is the experience and I am able to make a more educated accessment when a cow is approaching her due date. I AI and it helps to know a date to work from as if they are going over or calving early. Though I don't always practice it the best tool on the farm is the pencil. My grandpa always said the most successful man carried three things, a pencil, paper, and a pocket knife. He never said why the pocket knife maybe it was to cut your losses. When he died I was told he was worth millions. Maybe he had it figured out.
As far as the post holes it sounds like a good way to have her break her legs.

Today my dad is gonna put her down. We had a heifer bull with low birth weight but some kind of "big" gene came through to this calf. My dad got the calf out as far as his hips and had problems. She was a fighter. Always perky and ate great. We kept fly spray on her and bag balm. For the first 3 1/2 wks we had to use hip locks to get her up, and she wanted up. Then we could put slack in them and she would stand fine. She didn't have the greatest balance and after 2 steps she would usually fall. Then after about 3 1/2 wks she got up on her own with twisting her tail or her hearing the tractor start cause she didn't want the hip locks. We tried a sling and she hated it. She would have no try with that. 3 days ago she got up and stood and ate for over an hour!! This is why we didn't give up hope... She wanted up. My dad has never had one last this long. Usually they gave up.This cow would fight the dog while she was laying down. We kept her comfortable with straw under her. Gave her steriods,vitamins and the calcium immediately. This last week she has gotten the swelling her her knee and back leg. Probally from laying. Last night you could tell she was giving up. We just wanted that sign she was done, cause we werent til she was. The vet told me about old time remedies of digging a post hole for each leg and setting her in the holes so she could bear weight but big enough she could slightly let off pressure. Also they said setting her on a small bale under her belly to let off the pressure. Didn't know if any off you heard of this. Thanks for the help.

monday123":oakkpbhu said:
Today my dad is gonna put her down. We had a heifer bull with low birth weight but some kind of "big" gene came through to this calf. My dad got the calf out as far as his hips and had problems. She was a fighter. Always perky and ate great. We kept fly spray on her and bag balm. For the first 3 1/2 wks we had to use hip locks to get her up, and she wanted up. Then we could put slack in them and she would stand fine. She didn't have the greatest balance and after 2 steps she would usually fall. Then after about 3 1/2 wks she got up on her own with twisting her tail or her hearing the tractor start cause she didn't want the hip locks. We tried a sling and she hated it. She would have no try with that. 3 days ago she got up and stood and ate for over an hour!! This is why we didn't give up hope... She wanted up. My dad has never had one last this long. Usually they gave up.This cow would fight the dog while she was laying down. We kept her comfortable with straw under her. Gave her steriods,vitamins and the calcium immediately. This last week she has gotten the swelling her her knee and back leg. Probally from laying. Last night you could tell she was giving up. We just wanted that sign she was done, cause we werent til she was. The vet told me about old time remedies of digging a post hole for each leg and setting her in the holes so she could bear weight but big enough she could slightly let off
pressure. Also they said setting her on a small bale under her belly to let off the pressure. Didn't know if any off you heard of this. Thanks for the help.

You did everything you could and certainly more than I would have. Putting her down is the right thing to do.

My dad went out to put her down and she was already gone. SHe went down hill way fast. Thanks everyone.

I hate to hear that, when you raise cattle it occurs occasionally. I just try to reduce the liklihood of this occurring and even the best managed herds have this happen.

Last year we had a calf that ta 2 months got scoury. Cleared up the scours but she just never came right. She would eat but just acted like she didn;t want to do anything but eat and sleep. We nursed her for 3 weeks, never any change, didn;t get any better or any worse. Then one morning I went out and she was on the verge of dieing so I had the vet give her a shot so he could post her. He took samples of everything and sent oit to the lab. Specimins of the gut, lungs, organs, about everything but hair and skin. The lab couldn;t find anythign wrong. Her lungs were clear and perfect looking like she had never had a lung problem. I had never seen a lung problem but I was just grasping at straws. The point is that sometimes they just go down hill so fast you can;t even catch it happening. They're doing ok then they just die.

dun":2lg8q0q3 said:
Last year we had a calf that ta 2 months got scoury. Cleared up the scours but she just never came right. She would eat but just acted like she didn;t want to do anything but eat and sleep. We nursed her for 3 weeks, never any change, didn;t get any better or any worse. Then one morning I went out and she was on the verge of dieing so I had the vet give her a shot so he could post her. He took samples of everything and sent oit to the lab. Specimins of the gut, lungs, organs, about everything but hair and skin. The lab couldn;t find anythign wrong. Her lungs were clear and perfect looking like she had never had a lung problem. I had never seen a lung problem but I was just grasping at straws. The point is that sometimes they just go down hill so fast you can;t even catch it happening. They're doing ok then they just die.

Or the find a way to get themselves stuck and strangle themselves, fall into a ditch, etc. Unfortunately livestock also do stupid things, just like us humans.

KNERSIE":16elqrx7 said:
dun":16elqrx7 said:

Or the find a way to get themselves stuck and strangle themselves, fall into a ditch, etc. Unfortunately livestock also do stupid things, just like us humans.

I cashed in my luck when that heifer was down after a hard pull for over a month, then got up to walk away as good as new. She definitely was not the norm ;I think my guardian angels were working over time for me this year. Then the next one will die and like Dun, you have it posted for everything and you still don't get an answer. I hate that adage of "if you have livestock you will have dead stock" but it is too true.

Latest posts